1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros on the rise (ESPN insider)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by GraingerGuy, Sep 6, 2010.

1. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

2. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

here you go..

1 person likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dont see the Astros leading the division by 3 games next September, but i do believe their record and their team will be better next year.

Of the 2 teams clearly better than us this year (in our division), its possible the Cards could implode if they miss the playoffs by the current margin of 7 games or more.

So its not totally out of the question Houston could find themselves in 2nd place next year. But thats making the huge assumption that we play at the current level ALL next season. And that my friends is a very big assumption.

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

IF we get another good pitcher in the offseason, I think we can compete for the wild card next year. But what pitchers will be available and wanting to come to the astros? :eek:

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Last thing I want to happen is for the Astros brass to overvalue what this club is doing and go all in for next season. We got an exciting young team now, but a team that still has holes; do not want those holes plugged with ineffective band aids (like Feliz, Pudge, Woody), aging stars (Lee) or one year rentals (Beltran, Johnson). This team is not in a position for any of that. Continue doing all the right things that you have done the past few seasons (drafting and signing young talent, looking internationally, being sellers)

2 people like this.
  6. Raven

Raven Member

But that's exactly what the grocer will do, and everyone knows it.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So what will McLane do since you seem to know?

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sell the team?

9. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Thanks Magnetik! I don't think I've really ever read an ESPN person giving the Astros hope before. :)

10. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

No wonder the Stros lost. ESPN credit jinxed them!!!

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I think Josh Beckett is available and he is from Spring, Tx.

I think we can compete next year. Happ, Myers and Wandy are a very good 2-3-4 and Norris at the 5 is solid.

I don't even really think we should go after another bat other than a few things off the bench. Wallace needs time to grow at 1B, Keppinger and Sanchez have been solid up the middle. Johnson should be mentioned in ROY voting. Lee has been great the last month and Bourn and Pence are holding ground from last season.

I like the bullpen a whole lot as well.

12. Poloshirtbandit

I like Keppinger, but I still hope they can upgrade at 2B for next season. Maybe I'm wrong. Every other position I really like what they have.

13. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Hopefully Wallace starts to hit with more power.

Castro will not be a 200 hiter next season, well hopefully not...

The team is heading in the right path, it is going to be exciting to see how it pans out next season.

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I still find it hard to believe Wallace has yet to hit a home run. Hell, he's only got 3 doubles so far.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Eh, he is still young and truth be told should be in the minors but with Puma getting traded they figured why not give the kid on the job training. He will probably play winter ball and with an extended STraining, he should be much improved next year. Baggy and Puma's 1st months on the job didn't go so well either so its all good for the Wallarus as long as he continues to improve defensivly at 1st, which has been a pleasent suprise IMO.

#15 rockets934life, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You really like what they have at shortstop?

17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros need a guy at short who can pick it and work well in the two spot......work deep into counts, fast, good contact hitter......

We need to be able to play smallball and set the table.

Wallace's pedigree and history say he'll catch up to Big League pitching. I wouldn't worry about him.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if loving Angel Sanchez is wrong....I don't wanna be right.

[​IMG]

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

He's a 27 year old subpar fielder at short (not error prone, but his range is mediocre). And he's a .280 hitter with no peripherals (walks, speed or power). He's not a terrible SS, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I love the guy. He's hit his ceiling, and it's just OK. It's an area we can improve in.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

is his range factor bad? i would never have guessed that watching him make plays behind 2B.