1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros offseason moves - vote!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Major, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Major

Major Member

OK, talking about whether Vince Young has intangibles or if the Texans are really improving is boring me. So I figure Astros season is right around the corner, and while the offseason isn't fully complete, I imagine it mostly is for us. So, what are your thoughts on our major moves? Hopefully if this poll allows multiple votes, you can vote for all the moves you like. If it doesn't, I guess pick your favorite (?) and then discuss.

Normally, I'm a big believer in the Astros philosophy of making smart, fiscally responsible moves, but I'm really disappointed with this season. My thoughts on the "big 5 decisions" (hopefully I didn't forget any):

Signing Carlos Lee - I think this set the stage for everything else. Based on their history of making "smart" signings, this just doesn't seem to fit. They paid a whole bunch, for a long time, to a guy who's numbers are good but not elite and who might have fuutre weight issues (depending on the source). I think they were desperate for offense and panicked when Soriano signed - and made a mistake here that cost them in other moves. I do think it will help them this season, but 3 or 4 years down the road, this could be a boondoggle, especially if the market settles down and/or if Lee moves toward the 1B / DH role.

Signing Loretta - easy call for me. Great move. Low risk (1 yr), low cost, doesn't prevent them from making any other moves. Can play all sorts of positions, which is great since we have a lot of questionmarks throughout the infield (any of Biggio, Everett, and Ensberg have realistic shots of sucking).

Jennings trade - mixed feelings on this one. I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. I'm disappointed with it in conjunction with letting Pettitte go, but as a standalone move, it all just depends on how good our prospects really were, and whether (and for how much) we sign Jennings long-term.

Lidge contract - I think this is fine. Like Loretta, it's a low-risk move. If he sucks, you let him go next year. Low-risk, high-reward. The price is average, but who really cares about price on a one-year deal?

Letting Pettitte go - this assumes that we could have had him for $28MM/2 yrs. If that's the case, this is a very bad move to me. This is the kind of signing we could have focused on instead of a Lee. Probably overpaid, but also low risk because it's short-term. If he sucks, you're free and clear to start over in 2 years. Seems like an Astros-type signing. The fact that they had to trade Hirsh and Willy and may end up paying Jennings $10MM+ for similar results seems counterproductive.

Letting Huff go - this also assumes he liked it here and we could have signed him for something similar to what he got with Baltimore. To me, this was a no-brainer to keep him. Scott's a questionmark, as is Ensberg. Huff is the perfect player in that he's relatively cheap and can play both positions. If both Ensberg & Scott pan out, you could easily have traded him since his contract was so reasonable. It seems like it would have been a low-risk, high-reward move.

All in all, I feel like the Astros made the less-fiscally responsible signing of Lee and missed out on more responsible signings in Pettitte and Huff. I think they lost a lot of flexibiliy in the long-run and have less margin for error than had they gone a different route. Obviously, if Lee & Jennings pan out, they'll be OK, but I think there were better options out there that were eliminated when they signed Lee.

Hopefully I didn't forget any major moves.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Forgot Woody. :)

3. Major

Major Member

Dammit. I knew I was going to screw something up. Well, it can't be added to the poll at this point (at least, not by me!). I did like the Woody signing. Low-risk, short-term. If he sucks, oh well. Amazingly, $6MM/yr is great in this market.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Signing Carlos Lee - Good move. He was the best hitter available and he's an above average defensive player despite the fact that he looks overweight. I don't care how much his contract is personally.

Signing Loretta - Good move. Playing for way less than he's worth. Could be an important cog this year.

Jennings trade - Bad, but not awful move. I feel like it became necessary after not re-signing Pettitte. Unlike most fans on the board, I like Willy T. I like Hirsch, too, but prospects are always worth less than players.

Lidge contract - Good move. Lidge might bounce back, and if not, he's not under contract long.

Letting Pettitte go - Assuming he would have returned, this was a terrible move. By losing Pettitte, every pitcher after Oswalt has to pitch up one spot. Jennings has to pitch 2nd, Williams 3rd, and rookies 4th and 5th.

Letting Huff go - bad move. I don't have a lot of hope for Ensberg being that great, and Lamb scares me at third. Huff was a reliable hitter who seemed to fit in perfectly.

You forgot:

Signing Williams - good move. He's a solid 4th starter and two years is about perfect for his age and performance.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I think Lee had to be done to get this team back on the map, give us firepower for the next couple of years, and maybe to make this team still at least POSSIBLy attractive to Roger. (last one being the big one) I agree that he may be a problem and overpaid a few years from now..but still think it was necessary.

Loretta..easy. great.

Jennings...I'm a big fan. Taveras overrated by us and others, Taylor still unrealized potential that may never come around. Hirsh will likely be good, but Jennings is already good.

Lidge contract...I'm fine with. I didn't like the money, and I think it could have been different. But 1 year, you can't be too upset about it.

Pettite..I don't like it. Wish we coulda kept him. But as long as it doesn't automatically eliminate us from the Roger sweepstakes, we can deal with it fine. I really think it wasn't the money...and I think he was gone either way. He needs that intensity from NY.

Huff.. I'm happy with him going. Mostly because I don't think we'd have signed Loretta and/or Lamb if we had kept Huff. I think Huff is a good player, but I don't think he was worth that amount of money for the role we'd have given him.

6. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Signing Carlos: Great move. Lance needed protection and Lee has been solid. Don't care about the money (it's not mine).

Loretta - no brainer. Great insurance with all the uncertainty in our infield.

Jennings trade - Don't know yet, but I'm not at all upset about the guys we gave up. 2 pitchers that did little to impress and a fast guy that couldn't hit.

Lidge contract - Good move. Even if he does not revert to form you'll be able to find somebody in a trade that thinks they can turn him around. If he does go back to his old form you have the best bullpen in baseball.

Letting Petite go - Smart move. No way I give Petitte a second guaranteed year. My bet is he doesn't give the Yankees a full year this year, much less two good years.

Letting Huff go - No problem. He's on the down hill side of career and is not as good as Ensberg in odd-numbered years. :)

Woody - Worth the gamble.

It's been a great off-season, especially if Rocket comes back. I'd also love to see another legit starter and a hitting catcher, but you can't always have want you want, right Mick?

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I voted for the all but the HUFF option.

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Carlos - WAY overpaid for his production, bad move IMO. This might come back to haunt us in 3 years. Bagwell Reduex

Loretta - solid signing for great value.

Jennings trade - good only if he pitches 200 innings and is signed long term, any other outcome is a bust.

Lidge contract - overpaid, but it is only for 1 year so that is good

Letting Pettitte go - I'm with rterry, I thought this was the best move of the off-season. What about Pettitte in the last 3 years makes anyone think he is worth 14mil per?

Letting Huff go - he really wasn't anything special in his short time here

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

letting huff gO?

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I liked the Carlos Lee signing. If Ausmus and Everett are in the lineup, the middle of the order needs to be stacked. It is a very big deal that does limit the Astros some this year with his signing bonus.

I do not like or dislike WW signing. He's getting up there in years, but still is producing well.

I do not like the JJ trade since it is just a one year rental at this point. This trade will depend on if JJ resigns at a good price. He is a good frontline starter, though.

Loretta is great Biggio insurance.

Letting AP go is difficult. I'd have liked to keep him since he would not have cost the Astros prospects, but I think he's a little riskier than JJ.

Huff is tough to let go at that price, but I think Scott and Ensberg are ok.