1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros New Manager and GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

I have GROWN TO LOVE Dusty Baker. :D
    But seriously, what is it with sports introductory press conferences? Has anyone ever "lost" an IPC? "Man, that just went terrible."

Let's go win the whole damn thing for Dusty!

[​IMG]

Jim Crane: "Hiring Dusty Baker is one big step for us to move forward, and I believe Dusty is the right person at the right time."

Jim Crane: "We took (MLB's ruling) to a higher standard. We are holding the Astros to a higher standard ... Hiring Dusty Baker is one big step for us to move forward."

Dusty Baker: "This is my last hurrah. I thought my last hurrah was in Washington because I gave all my stuff away." He said he had to go up in the attic to find his baseball shoes.

Dusty Baker: "This is my last chance to accomplish the goal. I was happy, but wasn't satisfied with what I was doing. Something's missing."

Baker: "I think the Lord gave me the best chance to accomplish what I need as a person, as a father and as a man."

Baker on his greatest challenge: "I've been through a lot of things in my life. I feel I can help the players, I feel I can hep the organization, I feel I can help the city. ... This is a new beginning for us and a new beginning for me."

Baker: "I knew it was going to be challenging when I took the position. I've always raised (up) to the challenge and I know I'm going to do great and the team is going to do great."

Dusty Baker: "Don't tell the Nationals, but I was rooting for this team to beat the Nationals."

Baker: "I love this city. I've spent more time here probably than any other city more than where I was living."

Dusty Baker: "I enjoy and embrace being modern, but being old school at the same time. I don't know why we can't combine both of them."

Baker said he asked Bill Russell how the Celtics won all those championships: "He simply told me because they loved each other. That will take you a long ways."

Baker said the coaching staff is under contract and everyone will return. "It was pretty good before I got here."

Dusty Baker: "I want to win. I want to start out hot and get out the gate hot."

What is the biggest concern going into this job?

Dusty Baker: "Who is going to take Gerrit Cole's spot of excellence."

Dusty said he needs to see his grandchild, see his son, prune his grapes and make sure his dogs don't have ticks before he gets to spring training. And he has to pack. "Have you ever packed for seven months?"

Baker on sign-stealing scandal: "We'll get to the bottom of it and try to flush it and forget it."

Baker on sign-stealing: "We have to go forward and make sure that it doesn't happen again. It's certainly not going to happen on my watch here."

Dusty Baker: "If I didn't feel wanted, heck man, I would have stayed in Sacramento."

Dusty Baker said his son, Darren, "keeps me hip."

Baker said he was listening to rapper Too Short and said he heard him say this was his last album. Dusty said: "This is my last album."

Dusty Baker said his son, Darren, was listening to Too Short recently. Too Short was rapping that this was his last album

Dusty Baker: "This is my last album. Except, I'm Too Tall."

Dusty Baker: "Just stay together. That's what Bill Walsh told me a long time ago to tell my team."

Baker was asked to answer a question in Spanish and hesitated before doing it: "I'm pretty good but it makes me tired."

Dusty Baker with his message to #Astros fans: “You got good fans here, great fans. We’re all in the process of healing...We’re all healing together.”

Dusty Baker was asked about what the next 10 days before spring training will be like for him.

“The next 10 days, man, I gotta pack. You ever pack for seven months?”

Dusty Baker, out of context: "Well, I’m always about change. I’m a guy that ... how many men 70 years old have a 20-year-old son?"

Because Dusty Baker will wear his usual No. 12 with the Astros, Martín Maldonado is switching uniform numbers from No. 12 to No. 15.

Jim Crane said he hopes to have a GM in place by the middle of spring training.

When it comes to GM search, Crane said there's a possibility the Astros could "stay pat" with the people they have but they continue to interview candidates to replace Luhnow.

Crane on the GM search: "We're going to talk to a lot of people and do a thorough check on what's available. There's a possibility we could stay pat with the people we have for the time being and there's a possibility we could bring someone in."

#601 J.R., Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  2. msn

msn Member

The past of that presser that I could catch was hilarious. "My bag in the attic was empty, I didn't even have any underwear in there."
    "How are you going to prepare in the next few days for ST?"
    "Well I got work to do. I got to visit my grandkid and my son. I got to prune my grapes. I got to worm my dog."

Classic.

3. Stros66

Stros66 Member

I think Baker is good fit. This team will be back in the playoffs.

#603 Stros66, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    raining threes and King1 like this.
  4. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Member

Yeah, one could also call those comments by Baker one step to being in an old folk's retirement home, Crane you could tell, was cringing inside, I just hired this senile old man....wasn't a good couple of minutes for Baker.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

I'm skeptical. At seventy, you don't need the kind of pressure he will face. It is "kick back" time.

6. raining threes

Baker was a MLB hire

I suspect the GM will also be a MLB hire.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Somebody hasn’t been paying attention

8. Nook

Nook Member

What an over and he top melodramatic **** piece.

raining threes likes this.
  9. raining threes

Hard to say.

I vote this, because Manfred caved to the media pressure campaign to get rid of Luhnow.

10. raining threes

Gotta expect this kind of crap.

It's going to happen all yr. I hope the Astros are brothers, they drown it all out and go on a butt kicking tour. They can do it, but it wont be easy. I'm betting they do. Imagine if Springer/Altuve/Correa stay healthy all yr and you get a full yr of Alvarez. I bet Maldonado has a low avg and hits 20-25 Homers.

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Can you recap? I don't want to click the link.

kaleidosky likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

It's quoted below the tweet there.

Anyways...

*Houston Asterisks
    *Good hire
    *Other candidates allegedly found out on twitter they weren't getting the job
    *Aumus was allegedly the backup to Baker
    *Process was "rushed"
    *Spent some of the final hours whether or not to keep Joe Espada
    *"One rival exec said aloud he wouldn't lift a finger or grant permission for a lateral move to bail out this band of "cheaters.""
    *Perfect hire

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s annoying to see all these disingenuous assholes feigning outrage over what the Astros did. Crane’s hand may have been forced on the firings but they did absolutely nothing for the image of this club. The only thing that can bring them back is winning. Should have just owned the bad guy role since we are anyways.

As for the hiring, Baker isn’t my favorite choice but it’s fine. If the players play up to their standard I don’t think Jimy Willians could mess this up.

mikol13, Gray_Jay, msn and 4 others like this.
  15. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

I learned from the comments section that Astros should be 2018 AL Champs!!! Red Sox cheated in 2018! Raise the banner!

The Beard likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

“Y’all got the trash cans ready?” - Dusty

phasors28 likes this.
  17. raining threes

That's a good way to look at it.

What do you want to bet that Crane hires the dude from the MLB office.

18. Buck Turgidson

Wake me up when they get serious about hiring a GM

Nook likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Just wait and see whoever kisses the ring of Pope Manfred.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

This has player driven scandal written all over it....

[​IMG]

BigM likes this.