1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Quintana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Dec 8, 2016.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I knew that. I just don't think that makes any difference. Quintana is the better option to take the hill than Martes at any time point this season no matter what Martes does.

texans1095 likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'm not predicting the future or expecting he can keep up anywhere close to this pace, but it's great to see thus far.

texans1095 likes this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was looking at Pitch fx, but Statscast had his 2015 velocity at 89.9, so not that big of a difference.

Interesting thing is his 2015 effective velocity is 89.58, and his 2017 so far is 89.48

Joe Joe likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looking at statcast data (baseball savant), it appears the drop is about 1.2 mph instead of close to 2 estimated using fangraphs Pitchfx data which now uses statcast for velocity. Considering Keuchel does not have much velocity to spare, I'd still consider that a big deal though effective velocity may mitigate this issue. K% concerns me about future performance though he's limited hard contact more than normal for himself so far this year.

5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

...can't we just attribute to Keuchel's struggles last year to injury, which it was. He will be fine. The rotation will be solid.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Regression was expected even prior to the injury.... mainly due to the innings he piled up in the 2 years prior. The decrease in his mph on his pitches has to be due to "something".

By all metrics, he should have a bounce back year. Remains to be seen if it will be Cy Young worthy or possibly be de-railed by another lingering injury that he doesn't tell anybody about.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Something can be age or just wear and tear. I expect he'll be between last year and 2015 effectiveness with about 200 innings pitched. I'm more worried about next year if velocity drop is real and continues.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I'll be satisfied if he ends up being a glorified Jamie Moyer with a 50+ career WAR.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd put Terry Puhl in my favorite 10 Astros all time.

1. Nolan Ryan
    2. Carlos Correa
    3. Jose Cruz
    4. Bill Doran
    5. Craig Biggio
    6. Mike Scott
    7. Terry Puhl
    8. Jeff Bagwell
    9. Jose Altuve
    10. Glenn Davis

Honorable mention: Juan Agosto

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm going to see how this current crop of guys plays out because I can see a number of them move up the list. Oswalt is probably my favorite Astros of all time though.

11. Buck Turgidson

Bagwell
    Puhl
    Casey Candaele
    Cruuuuz
    Bill ****ing Spiers
    Biggio
    Berkman
    Tony Eusebio
    Doran
    Charlie Kerfeld
    Carl Everett, just because I want to talk to him about dinosaurs someday

I was a bit too young to appreciate Cedeno in his prime, but neither here nor there, Moises Alou was one of the best pure hitters I've ever seen

Stupid ****ing treadmill.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Berkman was on 790 yesterday morning and basically said he was never the same after his ACL tear in 2004 (even though he put up some huge years after that).

Stupid ****ing flag football (he actually said a version of just that).

13. juicystream

I pulled from Baseball Savant. His velocity is down 1 mph from 2015 (89.9 vs. 89.0), and over the same first two starts his average velocity was 89.6 or 89.7, I can't remember for sure. 2 games is too early to draw on much in the way of conclusions regardless.

I'm combining 2 seam and 4 seam FB in the data search, so maybe that accounts for the difference? Also the data changed from yesterday for 2017. When I searched yesterday the FB velocity was 88.9 (same as Fangraphs), but today showed 88.98.

Interesting that his cutter velocity is up to 87.28 from 86.65, and he has increased the usage of it.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When I looked, I only looked at his two seam as that is his bread and butter. It was a 1.2 mph difference. Initially, I looked at fangraphs and that data is a lot scarier when he lost velocity and almost everyone else is picking up a mph. I agree it is only 2 games, but velocity data after two games is usually much more reliable than ERA. I expect some loss so it isn't a big deal, but was hoping he didn't lose any velocity.

15. juicystream

I don't think we'll get 2015 Dallas, but I think we will get the 2014 version. That is weird that adding the 4-seam in would make that much of a difference, especially since it is barely being thrown now (if at all).

16. awc713

awc713 Member

Quintana absolutely killing my fantasy team today. Line so far (@min):

1 IP, 5 ER, 6 H (2 2B, 1 3B), 2BB, 2 K

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Good, I hope he struggles for a little while so his value drops a bit (if at all).

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

6.75 ERA.

Quintana aint going anywhere.

Quintana for Giles straight up. Dead cow swap.

#878 No Worries, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    mikol13 likes this.
  19. Major

Major Member

Unlike fans, GMs are smarter than looking at 3 starts and forgetting about years worth of data.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You are correct but those last three starts are not completely discounted either. I am guessing that Quintana's trade value is now 3 not 4 primo prospects.