1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Quintana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Dec 8, 2016.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Big if true

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If only...

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  3. Progs

Progs Member

Lol...may as well add Whitley

4. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

The Astros refused to include Bregman for Sale. So I'm pretty sure that the White Sox understand Bregman won't be coming for Quintana either.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Only?

That is a major haul.

I don't think you realize the quality of prospects Martes and Tucker are.

6. dmoneybangbang

And if the Astro's don't win a chip and the window is slightly less because we exhausted a top pitching prospects? I think that's the issue they are bringing up.

7. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

Give up the farm.. If Quintana is 75% of the pitcher he has been for the last few years he would be a major upgrade to our rotation.

Also we have two first round and two second round picks in this draft.

Win now, Quintana is 28 he isn't Carlos Beltran.

8. Progs

Progs Member

Who cares, at least I can be at peace that Jeff Luhnow put the Astros at the best position to win. Don't forget, Quintana is under contract for 4 years. Basically his prime. And as good as Luhnow can draft, he can always restock. What if the Astros where so close but didn't trade for Q.

9. Progs

Progs Member

Don't forget that the window won't be open for long once Altuve, Correa, Springer & Keuchel start getting pay a lot.

10. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Just one first rounder. The extra picks they got from the Cards are the 2nd and the Competitive Balance Round B choice.

pacman0590 likes this.
  11. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...se-quintana/82jCoII2XBP57xe1UqUIPL/story.html

The Astros seem to be the team most engaged, though according to one White Sox source, nothing is imminent. Most baseball folks agree that the Astros could win the AL West if they had someone such as Quintana at the beginning of their rotation. The Astros have one of the best lineups in the AL.

The hang-up has been the Astros’ reluctance to part with righthanded pitching prospect Francis Martes.

12. Progs

Progs Member

Speaking of he MLB draft it seems that
    If its only Martes and not Kyle Tucker included on that deal, I'm all for it.

13. Progs

Progs Member

If I had to guess, Teoscar, Reed, Paulino & Fisher is what Jeff Luhnow is offering.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Man I'm pro Astros but I'd turn that down too. The idea that we could get one of them best pitchers in the league without giving up at least one top prospect is ridiculous to me. There's not one guy in that bunch you can hang your hat on. All of them have a not small bust potential.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

All I know is I am going to be piss*d if this guy goes somewhere else at a price we could have easily matched.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

There is no way I would deal Martes, Tucker and Mus for Quintana. That is too much.

I would rather have a very good and deep team for the next 5-10 years... I also think you are more likely to win a World Series that way.

Quintana is very good. He wins 18-20 games on the Astros as long as he is healthy. However the cost is excessive.

17. Buck Turgidson

Replace Paulino with Martes and I do that deal + a A-ball type coming from CWS. Would hurt to give up Martes & Reed but that's probably what it takes.

18. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros really love Martes.

He is possibly a top 5-10 prospect in baseball.

The Astros have shown some interest in signing him long term.

Not shocked at all that they are reluctant to deal him, even for a pitcher that appears perfect for the Astros.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree that all 3 of Martes/Tucker/Musgrove would be an overpay for Quintana, but my point was that even if they made that trade (and the hypothetical Archer deal as well), their farm would still be ok.

I would probably present this as my final preseason offer to Chicago:

1 of Martes or Tucker
    1 of Musgrove, Paulino, Whitley, Perez, or Feliz
    1 of Fisher, Teoscar, Reed, Moran, Cameron or Davis
    1 lesser prospect they like (I.e. One of the international arms outside the current Top 30 like Hector Perez or Elieser Hernandez)

If that's not enough I'd just as soon chill until the deadline.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Bregman extends the windows.

Musgrove appears to be good enough to extend the window.

The Astros have done some serious reloading from their minors. And they still have Martes, Paulino, Reed, Fischer, JD Davis, etc who have the potential to be above average contributors and maybe even starts.