1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Quintana

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Rick Hahn is now in charge of an organization that is many years behind the rest of baseball in terms of scouting, player development and structure. Hahn is well aware that his organization is outdated, but has had limited say when making organizational changes. Hahn has been put in a position where he has to trust his scouts when making large trades and he knows that his neck is on the line.

There is little doubt that one or more of the players he receives in trade will be long term regulars. However, I have little doubt that different names would have been involved if a team like the Astros or Cubs were in that position.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That may very well be the case... but that in and of itself doesn't guarantee success, hence the unknown nature of all prospects, and the subjective ranking systems that follow them.

And it will still be a few years before you could see what these prospects end up doing. Luhnow and Epstein have both ended up making trades that didn't work out 100%... along with letting prospects go for nothing that ended up flourishing elsewhere... despite the non-archaic front office structure.

They can speak to no end how they want quality vs. quantity... but in the end, with prospects, quantity still can be an important factor to get just one of these guys to end up sticking (whether it be expected or unexpected).

#622 Nick, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    cmlmel77 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

It goes without saying that there are risks associated with any move made, especially when you are dealing with prospects.

This really has nothing to do with what I posted. I think we are saying the same thing......

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Speaking of sticking to Guns, I would just get this deal done.. Tucker isn't going to be a thing until 2018.. I would send him, Martes, and any paulino, reed, or whoever else.

LonghornFan likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Keuchel and Archer are good friends. If there is one pitcher who is rumored to be available that I want Houston to trade for it would be him. I would send Tucker, Martes, Musgrove, and Paulino to Tampa and not bat an eye. Unfortunately I don't think even that would be enough.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

He's had one cy young contender season; I wouldn't sell the farm for him.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He has the 15th most pitching fWAR in MLB over the last 3 seasons (just ahead of Hamels, Felix, Carrasco, Verlander, and Jose Fernandez). He's 28 and under cheap control for 5 seasons.

8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That particular package you suggested I'd maybe consider trading for sale.

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I read it as he was saying they are overconfident in what they think they can get for Quintana. Hence the thought that they are manufacturing interest in him to try and get more teams to bid to drive the price up. Not they are less confident than they should be.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Have a hard time seeing Astros and Cubs being so down on Moncado that they wouldn't do the Sale deal if in CWS position even with the high strikeout risk.

11. Buck Turgidson

Kluber/Verlander/Kershaw or Scherzer and I'm all for it.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/02/26/levine-white-sox-jose-quintana-still-in-high-demand/

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Per Peter Gammons the Astros are still trying to acquire Quintana and there was a White Sox scout at today's game. Looking at the players in that game it's hard to see which ones might form any meaningful part of a Quintana trade. Fisher and Davis were the only decent prospects on the position player side, and Feliz and Hoyt were the only arms that pitched that I could see Chicago being interested in. Fisher, Martes, Feliz, and Davis?

eric.81 likes this.
  14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Where do I sign?

15. Progs

Progs Member

Trade Martes. He is a much bigger risk than KT.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree that would be a light return for Quintana. But I think a 4 prospect package led by Martes that also included 3 grade 55 guys would be in range. I consider Musgrove, Feliz, Paulino, Reed, Fisher, Perez, and Whitley as being in that tier.

17. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/trade-talk-white-sox-patiently-dangling-jose-quintana-013728002.html

Houston and Pittsburgh, on the other hand, do have that frontline talent – particularly the Astros, who could create a compelling package around pitcher Francis Martes and outfielder Kyle Tucker. The White Sox, according to scouts, have had a number of eyes on Astros back fields, though one source suggested it’s more for future parleys than anything current or imminent.

In the meantime, the White Sox understand they dictate the terms, and they’re in as powerful a position as any team in recent memory. Quintana can go now, go in July, go in the offseason, and so long as he stays his consistent self, his value will remain stratospheric. One team will pay for it. It’s simply a matter of when.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If the WS agreed, Q would be in our rotation already

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I'm not sure that Luhnow would jump on a Martes/Perez/Musgrove/Whitley for Quintana trade. They are very high on all of those guys.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Maybe you are right, but if you are we will always be trying to win with youth, because a GM trying to win it all now does that deal 100 times out of 100

I suspect Luhnow would jump all over that deal, but we will never know