1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Interested in JT Realmuto

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Musgrove looks like a middle of the rotation guy, if he's even a starting pitcher.

Hard to say on Moran, as he's had very little time to prove himself. He might be good, but I don't see huge upside.

Feliz is probably a good middle reliever.

I don't think it's obvious that Realmuto is worth more than Cole. Realmuto has 3 years of control...2 for Cole. Cole plays the more valued position, and is more highly regarded as a player.

Not hating on Realmuto. He would be a great fit in Houston. But I would not overpay for him.

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Astros have the best package to offer, we have to wait this out. Untradeable Forrest Whitley, Kyle Tucker, Yordan Alvarez, Francis Martes, J.B. Bukauskus.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Bukauskas, Martes, Alvarez, and Fisher are all off the table there’s no package Miami should accept for Realmuto. If he goes for less than 2 Top 100 guys the Marlins are getting robbed. I don’t have a problem with Houston not trading those guys, but they’re not getting Realmuto without it.

vince likes this.
  4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Coming up with a way to acquire Realmuto seems like a fun thought exercise but Luhnow ain't losing any sleep over not acquiring the guy. Burning prospects now to push the team from 101wins to maybe 102-3 wins seems short sighted. If/when a hole develops they should have their most attractive assets available to fill it.

vince, Hey Now!, FLASH21 and 4 others like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So we don't trade any of our best assets, and you assume we still have the best package to offer?

If the Astros don't go after him I'm fine, but some of you think the Marlins are under some obligation to trade him specifically to the Astros. He's a team controlled player that would be an instant upgrade to 80% of the league.

vince, Rockets FTW and The Hunted like this.
  6. HTown2017Champs

My package would center around Paulino, Alvarez, and Stassi. Maybe throw in a few lower level prospects too, if they want more. I'm not as high on Alvarez as most here are. I think he's way better as an OF than 1B, and he still has to prove himself more, and show that his struggling at higher levels was just a fluke. Catching is a position we really need to secure beyond this year, great catchers are hard to find, and Realmuto is proven talent and an all around great athlete with many skills.

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Astros are in win now mode. Catcher is not a need for this season. It is just a luxury. They have done plenty for planning for the future with the Cole trade and holding onto the top prospects.

We need to hold onto our assets for the deadline in case of injury or players underperforming. For example, I think closer will still be an issue. No way Giles isn't somewhat shaken by his playoff performance. He made SEVEN appearances, but only had ONE appearance where he didn't give up a run. He looked like Jose Lima pitching in Minute Maid Park.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

This is still a thread? It's getting beyond ridiculous. The Astros don't need a Realmuto, they need more arms.

And this notion that the Marlins will just deal him to the Astros is kind of idiotic. You're right @sealclubber1016

Plenty of teams out there will offer premium for Realmuto when the time is right and it won't be the Astros (especially not this year). That contract, his talent will require blue-chip guys and the Astros have like 3 guys and a few who may turn into studs in due time. This isn't our spot.

9. pw1993

pw1993 Member

It probably makes most sense to see what Stassi (and even Stubbs) bring to the table in the first few months of the season before trading valuable pieces for an outside catcher. Stassi did a good job elevating the ball last year and, especially with the juiced ball of the major league level, I bet he's good for 12 to 15 home runs if he gets 300 PAs this year. He's worked with nearly all the current Astros pitchers whereas Realmuto would have to quickly get up to speed with them.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

Good point. Only addition is that you misspelled "110 wins to maybe 115 wins"

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If this was the case, Realmuto would not be a Marlin right now. It is always doubtful a specific player will be acquired by a specific team. Astros aren't a great prospect match, but are a better prospect match than the teams that need him (Ari, Was, Col, LAA). Miami is in an awkward position in wanting to get rid of him to help pay off debts, but not having any good offers.

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Wait till the deadline hits and Realmuto is healthy putting up comparable numbers or better yet... wait till next offseason... no need for the Marlins to do anything now.

The offers will come in.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Next offseason, Marlins will likely have used up 33% of his trade value, have to compete with the free agent bonanza, pay Realmuto 2.9 million dollars, and pay one year of interest on 2.9 million dollars that could have been paid off. Marlins best bet is now or at deadline if they want to have an actual MLB team once they get their new TV deal renegotiated (after 2020).

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Luhnow is in the perfect position to wait. He's sly like a fox with his patience, at times almost too much (see Justin V last minute deal). He may have already given his best offer for Realmuto and is setting back and letting the Marlins think it over. If JT gets hurt in Spring Training or early in the season they lose the chance at prospects and also have to PAY his salary. The Marlins don't have to deal him, but I believe they want to because of the above. Let's see if they decide the risk is greater than potentially a somewhat better reward by waiting.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Realmuto and Lucroy may be killing each other’s market. I’m sure every team that needs a starting catcher (of which there’s only half a dozen or so) has asked about both. Houston has been linked to both guys. It may be a situation where Lucroy blinks as opening day gets close and then the remaining 5 or so teams submit their best offer for Realmuto.

All that said, I don’t think it would be a bad idea for Miami to keep him until the deadline if they don’t get a good offer in the next few weeks.

16. Progs

Progs Member

I think at this point, Forrest Whitley & Kyle Tucker are untouchables. Astros want to see how good they really are. Both are considered, ELITE prospects. I would not trade Yordan Alvarez as well. I think he can be a left handed, Yuli Gurriel; but that's not the reason why I wouldn't throw him in to headline a deal. It's because EL YULI is already 33 years old. Let's say he starts to declined in 2 years, 2020. Well, you will have a 23 year old Alvarez ready to take over at 1st base.

Now this leads us into I like to call the Astros 4th horseman (Top 4 farm system players because there is quite a drop off after them) JB Bukauskus. I would throw him in a deal to headline with, Aj Reed & Corbin Martin ( who I think can become an elite closer similar to Wade Davis. Not sure on him as a starter, yet ) Knowing, Luhnow, I'll be shocked if he has offered anything better than this. I think the Astros value JB well, but to get a good player, you have to give up good back.

As you see; I didn't include, Derek Fisher. I think he is an insurance just in case they don't want to bring up Kyle Tucker up yet. I think young Tucker will succeed early on. But the Astros brass loves athletic outfielders like, Fisher as well as, Tucker. As far as trading away, JB, you can always find a pitcher similar to him even if he is as talented as, Bukauskus.

#156 Progs, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  17. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I'd love to be able to get jt for Bukauskus , Rees and Martin I'd still throw in fisher if that's all it took

But if we dint give tucker it will cost 2 of our top guys I'd imagine

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think there is a very good chance Realmuto gets held to the deadline. It would be a very risky move for Miami unless they just aren't getting any fair offers. I think it is likely the Marlins are getting fair offers, but aren't getting any offers with a Top 50 prospect.

19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The problem for Realmuto is that he could get distracted during half of the season because of trade rumors. His highest value should be now to trade him. There are trades done during spring training also. Yordan Alvarez is special he is going to hit 40 hrs and a high average. I have seen his clips of him hitting, this guy hits Sliders, Curveballs below his knees, his 6'4 frame is very flexible hitting the ball the other way. I really believe in him.

#159 rockets1995, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.