1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Cliff Lee

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownrox1, Dec 1, 2010.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Don't shoot the messenger! I was browsing through different MLB rumors and I stumbled across this one..

It's a pretty legit website, and I wouldn't doubt it. Wade please don't be an idiot and try for Lee!!

Link: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/houston_astros/

2. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

would never happen. if it did cliff lee would need tommy john within first half of the season. standard astros luck. but i guess it doesnt hurt to try

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

One isn't enough. Gotta have 2.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

no f'n way that'll happen...I do think he'll stay in Texas, but it won't be for the Astros...they are years and years away from a contender...Plus Texas has no state income tax so money wise, the Rangers can put in a competitive bid vs. the Yankees...

5. RocketMania1991

I don't see him staying in Arlington. Yankees are going to offer him 23M/Yr. I don't see the Rangers being able to afford that type of salary hit.

And the Astros aren't that far from being able to contend in the weak central division.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

aww, how cute.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Is it April Fool's already?

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm so sick of hearing about our lack of a state income tax with free agents. When does that ever amount to anything? It's message board fodder for fans who desperately want the Rockets/Astros/some other Texas team to sign a player. It's like the poor fat guy who still holds out hope that his personality will score him a 10.

On another note, the lack of a state income tax is greatly exaggerated as most states hit athletes for money earned in their state for the away games.

9. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

They are trying to spend the future profits of the TV network real quick huh? I agree it's cute, but if its real - its not my money.

(of course I said that when Carlos Lee signed and that was a disaster)

#9 Joshfast, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  10. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Never happen, not while sheriff Blaylock is still in town. Pew! Pew! Pewwwwww!

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I like Cliff Lee, but...

[​IMG]

Not the time to be a big spender. He's also kinda old, but his control is what makes him good so he might not taper off so fast.

12. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Yeah, he'll go to New York is money is all that matters... and it usually is.

But you also have to remember that Yankees fan threw stuff at his wife during the playoffs... so if wifey has any say whatsoever, it probably won't be NYC.

13. RocketMania1991

Yea but his family is best friends with Sabathias and i'm sure the right $ could make them forget those rude fans.

14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I would love for it to happen, but I'm 99.9% sure it won't. It's all about the Benjamins, and the Yankees can shell them out.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we were going to sign a marquee free agent, I'd want it to be Lee, but they shouldn't sign anybody like that until we have a better idea where the team stands in terms of competitiveness. If we sign Lee just to go 78-84 or something dumb like that, it would be a huge waste.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Also, hasn't Drayton learned his lesson about signing expensive free agents named C. Lee?

17. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'm all for spending but it doesnt make sense for the team. I'd put that money else where honestly not sure where but giving Lee 18 Mill or so will hurt the club for years.

For the rangers side it makes sense they should be contending for a title for a long time I cant see it for the astros even with Lee..

Besides what big time free agent has panned out recently? Randy Johnson but other than that cant think of to many .....I'd say there are alot more flops......

18. RocketMania1991

I hope the Rangers die and burn.

Hopefully the Angels stay off the injury bug next year and can get back to winning that division.

Cause there is no way in hell the Rangers get the wild card spot in the AL.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm definitely interested to see if Cliff Lee follows the money or remains with the Rangers. Rangers fans will likely feel just like Astros fans felt when Carlos Beltran bailed.

I'm thinking he is going to bail and take the money....albeit I hope he either signs with the Astros (first choice) or remains a Ranger (will be looked upon favorably by fans).

20. RocketMania1991

Rangers fans shouldn't get mad if he leaves. He is the ONLY reason they even made it to the WS. They realized when they made that trade that it was an all in move and unlikely that he was going to resign with them.

The Rangers are a decent club now, but the Yankees are ALWAYS a good club and a shoe in for the playoffs every year.

If he wants the $ and the chance to win a ring then he goes to NY. He doesn't have to be loyal to the Ranger fans, he grew up a Cleveland Indian for most of his career.