1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros have a deal in place with free agent catcher Robinson Chirinos

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If Stassi had options I would agree, but Chirinos could very well be the opening day starter. Luhnow said it himself on Astroline... he's about winning the division first and foremost. That's pretty much in the bag already so he doesn't feel the need to get crazy making moves.

I don't really have a problem with the Chirinos signing if Luhnow can add a Goldschmidt, Cruz, or Brantley. I don't care if Chirinos is the catcher if we add a legit bat to the lineup to go along with Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Correa, and Gurriel. Chirinos is still an upgrade over McCann and Maldonado offensively.

2. Stros4me

Stros4me Member

I think this is the general consensus. Let’s go Luhnow!! We want a big bat!!

3. awc713

awc713 Member

Interesting stat: Since 2015, only three catchers have a higher wRC+ than Robinson Chirinos. Gary Sanchez, Buster Posey, Willson Contreras.

justtxyank and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Lose McCann. Pick up Chirinos. Building up that Harper fund.;)

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think this is our only acquisition at catcher.

How I feel depends on how the rest of the offseason goes. If we don't add another impact bat somewhere else, I'm not happy with it.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Hopefully this is one of those underwhelming moves that is a necessary precursor to a bigger one.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing 2014 was Chirinos best offensive season (or close to it) and Grandal had a bad 2014. Kind of like when someone says Team X has won 2 of the last 3, you know Team X has lost 2 out of the last 4, and likely lost 3 out of the last 5.

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Not true. 2014 was his worst season in that period and Grandal was better that year.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not really, Chirinos has been very close to Grandal offensively, granted in an easier home park as mentioned. Last season was the first year that Grandal was clearly better.

Chirinos must be a really poor receiver, because prior to last season his CS% wasn't really all that bad either.

Joe Joe likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looks like my guess is wrong.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My guess was incorrect. It is very odd to look at the averages of 5 years of hitting data for catchers with very different ages. It isn't very useful information for saying how good a hitter is now. As such, I guessed it was cherry picked.

Edit: Looking at park-adjusted numbers, Grandal has been the better hitter 4 of the past 5 year by RC+ with an advantage of 115 to 106 during that span (similar gap to Marwin vs Stassi over that time period). Considering the differences in the parks, I'd say using raw numbers is deceptive even though he mentions it as it is a huge difference. I just guessed wrong on how the numbers were being deceptive.

#52 Joe Joe, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Let’s not forget that Chirinos was 2nd in the AL in getting hit by pitches

awc713 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that is back up money.

He is a very capable hitter, he can get us an .800 OPS if he is used properly, and he is considered to call a good game and is well liked as a leader.

Last year he was horrific throwing runners out, framing pitches and was below average with passed balls and wild pitches.

It is an interesting signing for sure. Jeff Luhnow has said that defense is the #1 thing the Astros want from their catcher but they aren't getting any here with Chirinos.

Marteen and raining threes like this.
  16. Screaming Fist

I did not expect him to sign for more than the option the Rangers declined. I guess the single year contract bumped the AAV?

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yea, I'm pretty sure he is the starter. I'm hoping it means Luhnow intends to sign or trade for an impact bat and a starter.

Also, I fully expect the Marlins to over play their hand with Realmuto. They will wait too long to move him and once the big free agent catchers are signed and Cervelli is traded some team is going to jump in and get Realmuto for what will be viewed as a low price. Then the moaning on here will begin about how we should have traded for Realmuto even though the price for us was stupid high.

body slam likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Well it tells us about the market. Even though there are a lot of catching options out there, the asking price is obviously quite high and the Astros were not comfortable waiting to see if it would come down.

raining threes likes this.
  19. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Altuve got his boy paid!

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

So glad we’re finally at the point where we start making totally baseless and unsubstantiated claims.

texans1095 and awc713 like this.