1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros handling of McCullers/VV vs Mets and Harvey

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Sep 6, 2015.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Have to say, while I was not happy at the time with how McCullers was sent down after getting ripped.....

When you look at how we have handled our young studs in comparison with how the Mets situation with Harvey is unfolding...and how the Nats situation with Stras went a few years ago, it's another big plus for Astros management.

Not only are the Mets looking at no Harvey for the playoffs, that is the big story right now and what their players are having to deal with, as opposed to just playing big baseball games.

I've always thought the pitch limits were overdone quite a bit because of the amount of money these guys make these days....but it's nice to know we seem to have a grip on this better than others

1 person likes this.
  2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yep--exactly why it made sense and we had to ignore the downsides of "he has to take the bus for a few weeks", etc. Holding the division lead for so long also allowed us to do stuff like this.

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I agree with those moves, now, I think VV should be use in games on the line, i trust him, and love his stuff.

We trust McCullers, we should ALSO trust VV.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Mets with Harvey is Strasburg Part 2.

Very poor planning

5. The Beard

Yep, I agree

And I would guess neither Harvey nor Strasburg spends the bulk of their career with the Mets/Nats

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Weren't the Nats the ones forcing Strasburg to sit... while in this case, its Harvey and his agent that will be making the call to end the season.

In the former case, Strasburg has ended up being mediocre this year despite the shut-down, but he is healthy... Harvey is probably looking for the same sort of health, without the regressing results.

Can't really fault either scenario... and its not the same situation the Astros are currently involved in (yet).

#6 Nick, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

If we left him in the rotation our lead would be 5 games. So it was a boner move. I still don't like. It's just less messy because if you are going to limit him that was a way to do it without getting into a mess. But it put us in a fight down the stretch instead of coasting.

But you can see how the media just decides what it wants to say. One year it's the medical staff can only make the decision. Now it's Matt Harveys decision. What? So ridiculous. Whatever floats there boat. I miss the days when pitchers would just go out and work with the correct mechanics.

Either way, glad to see McCullers back in the stretch run.

8. The Beard

How can you possibly say we would be up 5 games if we left him in

Our starting pitching has been outstanding since he left, outstanding

9. The Beard

Actually Stras has struggled health wise a large part of the year, including right now

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Our pitching staff proceeded to dominate over the 3 weeks he was gone. What pitcher was costing us games?

It's just a stupid statement, if anything he would more likely have costed us games given how well our guys pitched. Not saying they are better pitchers, but Feldman, Fiers and McHugh were dominant over that stretch.

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Just because you disagree you don't have to say is a "stupid statement"

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So thus the innings limit doesn't matter?

Nothing has actually disproven or proven the self-limiting arm shelf-life theory.... as has been said before, this front office probably has a lot more data on the true injury risk of young arms as it relates to innings pitched, hence why they haven't had a set "shut-down" date, but at the same time aren't going to simply throw young arms out till they fall off.

The key to all of this has been the extra arms in the starting rotation (acquiring Kazmir, Fiers... Feldman coming back healthy). That allowed them to give McCullers a break without missing much productivity.

The Astros certainly prepared better and had better option than the Mets/Nats.... then again, they are totally different scenarios as both Stras and Harvey were coming off injury/surgery (whereas the Astros would like to avoid those types of procedures, if possible).

13. The Beard

I've never believed limiting innings was proven to keep guys healthy, but obviously I don't have the data they have

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Totally disagree. The Astros handled McCullers and Velasquez very well. Our problem has been hitting, not starting pitching.

15. The Beard

And I agree with Nick that the situation is different because Stras and Harvey are/were coming off injuries, but the reasoning for limiting them is still about perceived health chances

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And its also different because one scenario was dictated by the team (Stras), and this scenario has been dictated by the player (Harvey).

Both controversial, both will likely be the same result (the player won't pitch), and the long-term results of this will still largely be unknown.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Babying pitchers [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. The Beard

Classic

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Craziest part is that the Mets have the pitching depth to alleviate Harvey's workload, but opted not to

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They probably want to give their team the best chance to win... and they feel Harvey gives them that.

In the past, teams have been slammed/criticized for shutting pitchers down regardless.... especially in the midst of a pennant race. In some cases, it was met with some opposition from the player themselves.

In this case, its the player possibly looking out for his own interest... not sure you can fault the team for that.