1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Falling Into Oblivion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Almu, May 22, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Just noticed that the Astros were leading by 7 runs and in the ninth gave up the lead? Then lost the game?

WTF is going on down there? Personally, I think that the Stros are done. They were not built to play in Homerun Field. They are built for the dome. They need to rebuild quick.

Wow! From 102 wins to this?

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It is sad to see what is happening to the Astros. It's basically the same team from last year minus Hampton, Bell, and Everett. Cammi and Alou are healthy plus Dotel, Cedeno, and Hidalgo are great additions. I don't know what is going on.

------------------
    It's all good!

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The problem (most of it anyway) is pitching. Reynolds is solid but after that we are in trouble. Lima is sucking big time this year. Dotel is so so. Elarton will take a while to get back into the swing of things after his surgery. And the bullpen, geez, they are just awful. Wagner is not the same as in the past.

The hitting is not up to par either, but you would think a 7-run lead would be enough.

------------------
    You just want to be on the side thats winning.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

But how 'bout that stadium, HUH?! HUH?!

[​IMG]

------------------
    ?

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

DoD,

You took the words out of my mouth.

At least people can sit in a cool stadium and watch them suck. Well, what people end up coming after they keep sucking for a while.

The Astrodome wasn't the reason people didn't come to Astro games, it was because they have never been to a World Series, rarely get into the playoffs (in the last 20 years or so), and when they do, they play their worst ball.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Amazing what winning can do, huh? The Rockets are a good example. I've always debated the notion that fans are "fair-weather" fans if they don't support their teams when they're losing. If somebody isn't doing their job at work, they usually get nixed. Why should it be any different for teams? Sure, sure... because we may lose the team and lose all the revenue they generate. Pffffftttt... Houston didn't exactly fall apart when the Oilers left.

Doc's Memo to Sports Owners :

Don't expect people to support you if you don't provide results. Pack up and leave 'cause the Doc don't cayuh.

------------------
    ?

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

One note: the Rockets were down right awful last season and still managed over 15,000 in attendance.

Believe it or not, a venue does matter. The Astros are HORRIBLE but they are putting fans in the seats because it is a nice seat. Also, the location doesn't hurt. When you have about 40 or 50K working a few blocks from the venue, it makes it far more convenient.

Doc: are you suggesting you don't care about the Rockets and whether they stay or go? If this is the case, why bother watching them in the first place? What's the point?
    ------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited May 22, 2000).]

8. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Jeff,

Of course die-hard fans are going to watch the Astros or Rockets, even if they play in my backyard.

But, the casual fan will only show so much interest in a team that isn't winning.

Another thing is that basketball arenas are smaller than baseball stadiums. And, I think the NBA is much more 'exciting' than MLB any day of the week. So, in my mind basketball can endure losing longer than baseball. I bet football can even endure losing longer than baseball. Maybe not in total number of fans, but in percentages of what is an average attendance over the long run.

I do think that Drayton McLane screwed us by getting his "cash cow" of a stadium and not putting a competitive team on the field. The same goes for the Rockets. In order for the average person to feel they deserve a new fancy expensive arena, they will have to win. I'm not the average fan, but I do think the Compaq center is a more than adequate arena. Maybe not in terms of luxury boxes or whatever the hell Les Alexander wants, but it's not a bad place to go.

One thing I think the Rockets should do is allow fans into the Compaq center a few hours before the game instead of the 5 minutes it seems they allow. It would give people a chance to come in early, buy some memorabilia, eat a dinner at one of the nice restaurants represented there. Just make is more of a event, not just push us in for the game and shove us out afterwards. But, that goes for both the Compaq center and the new arena.

I haven't been to Enron yet, but I know going to the Dome a couple of hours before the game, watching batting practice, getting something to eat, and maybe walking around checking stuff out made the event more of an enjoyable experience, even if the 'Stros lost.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited May 23, 2000).]

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Dierker was mad. Did you see him replacing pitchers. I think things are about ready to be shaken, not stirred. Look for some players to be headed out of here. It's gotten to the point of no return.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

DREAMer: Compaq Center doors open 90 minutes before the game. From what I am told, this is an NBA rule, not a Rockets rule. Even the press isn't allowed in earlier than 2 hours before the game.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

11. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

The novelty wears off. Always. When SkyDome opened, one of the most common refrains you'd hear from Toronto fans is that they'd come to the games 'even if the Jays weren't winning', because SkyDome was so wonderous.

Well, we're all hypocrites at heart.

Toronto doesn't sell out the Dome anymore. Their teams have been steadily less competitive since the second World Title they won, and attendance has predictably sunk.

The same thing will happen to the Astros in three to five years if Drayton doesn't cut out the bull**** and stop jettisoning our talent before it gets 'too expensive'. The man doesn't have a clue how to run a baseball team.

If McLane ran the Atlanta Braves, they'd have Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, and 22 nobodies.

[This message has been edited by BrianKagy (edited May 23, 2000).]

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Baseball Tonight was talking about the Astros problems. Bagwell's contract runs out I think the year after next. Berkman will move to left creating Ward as trade bait. They said lots of AL teams are interested in Ward. Also, the Astros might try to trade Alou. I thought Alou had a no trade clause. Bagwell might stay loyal to Houston if they are willing to pay him right, but they questioned whether Bagwell will take less to play in Boston or a team that is better. Enron Field isn't the problem, the Astros are.

------------------
    It's all good!

13. BobFinn*

Ward is a terrific hitter, but not much of a fielder. He would be the consumate DH. I think we could trade him and Alou for a quality pitcher. The astros have also been working Julio Lugo into the outfield,to back up Berkman or Cedeno possibly?

Some changes have to be made soon to salvage the season. I have confidence in Dierker, however, if the Astros don't turn the ship around, Bagwell might leave when his contract is up."please come to Boston" Imagine Bags and Everett together again, WOW.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited May 23, 2000).]

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'd hope Bagwell does take his .100 playoff batting average and go to another city.

Houston just isn't a good sports town. Winning, new arenas, none of it matters or will matter. The Astros had I believe the 2nd best record in all of baseball in the 90s, yet had some of the absolute worst attendance. The Rockets of course won 2 championships, and basically the city doesn't care if they leave (SOR will change that [​IMG]). This after they've already lost one team that was consistently a winner. 2 championships should sell itself (especially since they're the only 2), you shouldn't have to have a huge grassroots effort to keep the team in town. Also, the Astros terrible season does not help the Rockets one bit. A team gets a brand new stadium (barely), and then goes out and sucks the first year. Not only that, but the owner sold off some talent right afterwards. That really hurts the Rockets' chances in my opinion.

------------------
    "It's always funny until someone gets hurt...and then it's just hilarious."

-Faith No More

15. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

The Freak said:
    I'd hope Bagwell does take his .100 playoff batting average and go to another city.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Man you need to chill. Do not forget that the Astros would not be in all those playoffs if not for the likes of Bagwell. This guy gives it all he has. EACH AND EVERY NIGHT. He is a true warrior and the type of player every team desires. He leads by example.

Granted he and Biggio have not played great ball in the post season but that is no reason to get rid of a future Hall of Famer. Much less throw him to the waste side liked spoiled garbage.

Damn... Bagpipes needs to end his career as an Astro. Needs to enter the Hall of Fame with an Astros jersey. Not some freaking Red Sox jersey. Give the guy the respect he has EARNED.

Whatever the Astros do they have to resign Bagwell!!!

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Bagwell and Biggio both have been very loyal to a very, shall we say, quiet franchise. They stay. And Bagwell may become the greatest first baseman ever. Look at the numbers. Rob Neyer of ESPN thinks that if he keeps this pace up he WILL be the best ever. Not to shabby.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

17. BobFinn*

Ever??? No way, maybe second best. Lou Gehrig is the best first baseman ever. Just look at his stats, unbelievable. If the Astros lose Bagwell to free agency, it will rival the Oilers leaving, or the firing of Bum Phillips.

------------------

18. dc sports

dc sports Member

Or... Whats-his-name. Some pitcher they were silly enough to let go a few years back. Went into the hall of fame as a RANGER! um...

------------------
    Stay Cool...

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Woe is us [​IMG]

I was at the debacle last night (Wednesday).

Stros up 7-0 and LOSE 9-7.

This team is LEADERLESS!!!

Carl Everett was the man last year. Whenever they needed a clutch hit, he stepped up and DID IT! Hunsicker screwed up hard when he traded Everett away, and he instantly turned the Stros into a ship with no rudder.

Aaaahhh, at least the park is a nice place to see a ballgame!

------------------
    Bring It!!

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Well, on the bright side, anybody Notice that Hildago is on pace for 50 HR's. Geeeesh! Daryl Ward, Caminiti, and Bagwell on pace for 36 HR's. We are 7th in HR as a team.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.