1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros expected to trade Robertson and Saarloos before the season starts

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DoitDickau, Mar 29, 2004.

1. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

From the Chron:
    "Jeriome Robertson, who led the Astros with 15 victories as a rookie last year, will likely be traded before the season starts. If he isn't, he will probably start opening day at New Orleans. Righthander Kirk Saarloos, 24, is another pitcher who will be dealt or in New Orleans this year despite having tasted some success in the majors. Scouts say the Astros are desperately trying to unload Robertson and Saarloos"

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2472447

kinda liked saarloos, but i guess it's just a numbers thing. Wonder if they could get any decent for these guys?

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

The thing about Saarloss is, he has to be almost perfect to succeed. If any of this pitches are off, then he will be hammered.

I wouldn't expect much from either one in a trade. Saarloss might bring you another minor leaguer, and Jerome would probably bring you a minor leaguer or some bullpen help.

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I'll miss Saarloss.

I remember his first start, day after he got married (?), they kept showing his wife on TV and she always had her hands covering her eyes before every pitch. They stayed there until someone next to her said it was okay, then she would look.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Some power off the bench would be nice. I think Mike Lamb was a big mistake (3 errors yesterday). I know it's spring and all, but these were bonehead plays. I wouldnt' mind trying to get a better utility infielder.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I think that Robertson could actually get us something of value. We in houston know that last year was flukish, but outside the are all people see was a rookie who won 15 games last year.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I say we keep 'em both.

Clemens is only going to be around 1, maybe 2 seasons.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps for the casual fans this is true, but I imagine with video tape and whatnot, GMs will figure out how flukish Robertson's season was. Hell, just look at his ERA and you can figure it out.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros need to win now. They are weak in the left handed reliever department. They are also weak in team speed. They are strong in the starting pitching department. They lack a significant prospect at first base. For the next 3 years, providing all remain healthy, they have 4 set starters. Once Clemens retires they will have Robertson, Fernandez, Hernandez, Buckholz, Saarloos and others fighting for one starting spot. If they can get someone of value for Robertson or Saarloos it, then by all means, they need to do it. In addition, they clear up spot(s) on the 40 man roster.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

2 WORDS SCOTT ELARTON

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

JR was the master of the bad inning. He'll be a modestly successful major leaguer for years, IMO. Anyone's #4 starter, maybe up to #3 in a couple of years. (Maybe not this year's 'stros or Cubbies or Dodgers...)

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I've heard on another site that the Indians were interested in Robertson, and that they were working on a deal in which we would be able to keep the rights to Willy Taveras and put him in AA, and probably get another prospect in return.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Amen to that...Plus, a decent lefty is tough to come by these days....I mean, they guy did win 15 games. If Pettitte has any arm trouble whatsoever (God for bid), we will wish we hung on to JR.

As for Saarloos, I think he would be a lot easier to replace.

13. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Saarloos and Robertson both have decent trade value no matter what us Houston fans think. They can both immediatly start for 2/3 of the teams out there.

I think a package of the two could easily bring us a stud minor leaguer and and maybe a good lefty set up man.

We really need to stock up the farm system because i don't want to watch this team go through another rebuilding process for 5 years.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Our roster is going to be so different after this season, and the next coming seasons. With contracts ending, players resigning...

I also think we should keep them. Clemens is only going to be around for one year. So, that is one spot opened up. If they can get a great deal for them then I would do it. BUT I just don't know. This season is like do or die (do=playoffs .....WS)

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

They won't be better next year either.....or even 2 or 3 years down they road (I deduce). They are just glorified "7th" starter(s).

16. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

This might be our only year to go to the world series, we half to act now and not worry about the future. I say trade them for a reliable bullpen guy or speedy centerfielder that will help us on our trek to the championship.

17. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Thatz crap....they both have potential, I just dont see it happening in an Astros uniform. Robertson will be a good MLB starter....hez a lefty and has good stuff. Saarloos is lights out in the minors, jus cant miss a bat in the big leagues.....theyre both young and improving.....I just hope we get somethin decent back for them.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i remember saarloos pitched that shutout a couple years back, i'm pretty sure it was the only complete game we had that year.

if only he could add some mph to that fastball because his changeup was absolutely nasty. like codell said he has to be perfect to be effective.

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

Robertson, maybe, since he is a semi-proven starter.

Saarloos?? No way. He gets you a decent minor league prospect at best.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hunsicker said yesterday that he's not in the business of trading pitching talent. Sounded more truthful than your normal denial.