1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Astros.Com] Astros recall right-hander Sampson, send down Taylor Buchholtz

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jul 29, 2006.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...ent_id=1581786&vkey=pr_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

HOUSTON, TEXAS -- The Houston Astros announced today that the club has recalled right-handed pitcher Chris Sampson from Triple A Round Rock. To make room for Sampson on the 25-man roster, the club has optioned right-handed pitcher Taylor Buchholz to Round Rock. The club also announced that third baseman Morgan Ensberg will begin a rehab stint at Round Rock tonight. Both announcements were made by General Manager Tim Purpura.
    Ensberg, 29, was placed on the 15-day Disabled list on July 10 with a right shoulder contusion. He is scheduled to make two rehab starts for the Express with the first tonight at The Dell Diamond in Round Rock vs. the Sacramento River Cats at 7:05 p.m. Ensberg will also start for the Express tomorrow vs. Sacramento (7:05 p.m.) after which his status will be evaluated. He is batting .241 (77x32) this season for the Astros with 19 home runs, 14 doubles and 44 RBI.

Sampson, 28, is 11-2 with a 2.62 ERA (31ER/106.2IP) in 17 starts for the Express, including two complete games. Sampson has struck out 53 while walking 14, and his 11 wins rank tied for second in the Pacific Coast League. In four Major League games for the Astros in 2006, he is 1-0 with a 3.52 ERA (6ER/15.1IP). Sampson recorded his firs big league win with seven shutout innings on June 7 against the Chicago Cubs. He will be in uniform for tonight's game at Minute Maid Park vs. the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Buchholz, 24, is 6-9 with a 5.96 ERA (72ER/108.2IP) in 20 games for the Astros this season, including 18 starts. He recorded his first career complete game on May 21, throwing a five-hit shutout against the Texas Rangers. This season, Buchholz ranks 10th in the National League in opponent batting average against at .248 and tied for second in most home runs allowed with 21.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just a matter of time before Backe gets moved to the pen, and Hirsh is given the opportunity to stay in this rotation for years to come.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Why not Hirsh? Backe in the bullpen is not an option with his arm problems.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think the reason they didn't call Jason Hirsh was they will skip the 5th starter because of day off on Monday. I think Hirsh will be called up next Saturday when 5th starter needed.

5. msn

msn Member

I seriously do not understand all this "bring up Hirsh" talk when it was clear that his shoulder was hurting and they were going to be working him *less*, not more. Don't Major Leaguers typically go down to the minors to do rehab work, and not vice-versa?

Am I the only one that remembers this? Have I taken leave of my senses?

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

bringin up another bum....astros speciality

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has been pitching GREAT at RR, and as far as I know...zero restrictions.

DD

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He just threw 7 innings on Thursday... I think they were resting him a little around the ASB, but if he's good enough to throw 7 innings in the minors, he shouldn't be restricted all that much in the big leagues.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not only that, but a Mets fan troll nonetheless... there isn't a worse kind.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The Astros weren't just playing it coy when they said they weren't considering calling up Jason Hirsh from Triple-A. The right-hander exited his start on Monday after five innings with shoulder tenderness, and it appears he'll carry a light load for his next few starts as well.

Hirsh, who was the starting pitcher for the USA team during last week's Futures Game in Pittsburgh, has pitched 115 1/3 innings this year, so he has yet to come near his career high of 172 1/3 from a year ago. But the Astros are going to be cautious with their top pitching prospect and go easy on him for the foreseeable future.

"We'll watch and decrease his workload for a period of time," Purpura said.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1563220&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

The article was dated the 19th; even if he's recovered since then I'd still imagine the team's not in any hurry to rush him up here unless he's a September callup.

12. Bobby60

Bobby60 Member

+
    They should send Lane back too, and bring Nieve back up. Don't we have any hitter prospects in the minors? Maybe the Astros will bench Wilson when Ensberg's back.

13. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

All this talk about Jason Hirsh, people forget the kind of year Sampson is having, he has been just as brilliant in AAA as Hirsh, and he came up to the Astros and pitched a shutout.

14. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

I called it, I love Sampson. I hate to see Taylor go but this is serious now and there is no place for personal feelings.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Cant base it off one start but Sampson didnt look like a bum in that start.

16. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

How can you call Sampson a bum?

17. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

he also shouldn't be throwing 7 innings period in the minors this late in the season. he's is getting overworked elarton-style.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Elarton was overworked because he pitched nearly everyday (in high pressure situations) as our 6th-7th inning (and sometime 8th inning) guy in the Dierker regime. This was after he had been brought up thru the minors solely as a starting pitcher, with an arm conditioned that way (notice how the club didn't let Dierker make the same mistake with Oswalt... the front office got him in the rotation before he became Larry's pet-bullpen guy... which may have happened had the club not been so desperate for starting pitching in 2001).

Hirsh, as a starter, only pitches evey 5th day... and he's been conditioned to do this since A ball. He had a couple of starts this year where he was throwing 130 pitches... THAT is overworking a minor league guy (and they subequently realized it was stupid for him to be extending that much, so they informed Moore to ease up).

If he was up in the big leagues now, and being used as a set-up guy (kinda like how the Cardinals are WASTING Wainwright), he would most definitely be set-up for an Elarton-like burnout... but having him throw ~100 pitches (or 7 innings) as a starter is about where he should be in his development as a 24 year old in AAA on the cusp of being in the majors.

#18 Nick, Jul 29, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  19. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

i guess...it's just alarming to me to see somebody this good and this polished at the AAA level getting run out there for that many meaningless innings. http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=l_pit&lid=112

i don't keep up with minor league stats extremely closely year in and year out, but I am guessing almost nobody who has performed like this in AAA for this stretch of time wouldn't have been called up already. hell, being able to reach double digit wins without having been called up by now seems ridiculous to me.

all that said, like you said, i also don't want to see him coming out of the bullpen and risking ****ing up his career by exiting his comfort zone. i guess albers and sampson are getting their shot at the starting rotation now, so i guess we'll watch purpura coddle who would probably be his 3rd best pitcher on the current staff for another 50+ wasted innings in round rock.