1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros claim Nori Aoki off waivers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Tony Stark, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Member

Pretty solid move by the Astros with Colbys impending exit from Houston, Career .286 hitter with a very low strikeout rate- 9.6% in 2016. He will surely get a decent amount of plate appearances in 2017. Only downside is he has no power production. May be best suited as a platoon outfielder off the bench.

#1 Tony Stark, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Meh.

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Would be willing to bet that the Astros are trying to find solid contact, OBP hitters like this to be potential lead off guys. It makes so much sense to do so and move Springer down to 5 or 6, along with hopefully adding a big bat (1B/DH type).

Aoki fits this profile nicely as a LF option against RHPs. .350 OPS with an extremely low K% is just what they need at the top.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It is "meh", but that doesn't mean it's a bad move. The Cubs getting Coghlan (or even Fowler to a degree) were "meh" moves, but I doubt their sporting rings without them.

If Aoki is the biggest OF acquisition Houston makes this offseason it'll be shitty, but if Aoki is the Astros' 8th or 9th best hitter, it'll likely be a good move. He's virtually guaranteed to be a roughly league average hitter and play average LF defense with ability to play CF in a pinch.

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    RF TBD
    1B Gurriel
    C Gattis
    DH TBD
    LF Aoki

Bench: Marwin, TBD C, Marisnick

5. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Love this explanation. Might seem obvious but it is still great to hear it from the boss.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Is he "best friends" with Otani? I'd like to think that having Beasley was the reason we signed Durant last offseason.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

He instantly becomes the second best hitter on the team. It's solid. Even if it's underappreciated. He's comes to the plate as a professional. I'm tired as are many of having guys who can't even hit .240. In my opinion this instantly improves the lineup whether they give him the lead or tail end of the lineup. I don't really care where Springer hits as long as it's not 2nd.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

It's also a win now sign, as he won't be around for long. So they are plugging in some veterans.

SuperS32 likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Pretty solid pickup IMO.

He certainly doesn't move the meter in a significant way, but it's not hard to see how he could help this team. As is, Springer was literally the only OF in the organization who is proven to be a competent MLB hitter. And his salary is far from prohibitive.

10. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I agree with the sentiments expressed so far. To a degree, it's a very "meh" move... I mean, he's a 35 year old on his 5th team since 2012. But he's a left handed bat that never strikes out and he gets on base at a pretty good clip. Good contact hitter and will definitely add balance to the lineup. For $6.5 million (which is what he's supposed to get in arbitration), that's pretty good value.

11. toycannon

toycannon Member

He can be a good 4th outfielder for us.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It makes zero sense to move Springer that far down in the lineup, where he'll get significantly less AB's over the course of a season.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I think he fits a lot better around 5, where he would get more opportunities to drive runners in. And, as this lineup gets stronger and stronger, the Astros are going to have really good hitters hitting 5th or 6th regardless.

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

This is going to be some off season .

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

This is going to be some off season .

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Springer draws more walks than anyone else on the team; he's almost a prototypical lead-off hitter.

I hope that's one thing the Astros do this offseaon: break down and reconstruct their batting order. For instance... while Altuve makes a lot of sense near the top of the order because you want to maximize his plate appearances, he strikes out significantly less than Correa and Springer (and, SSS: Bregman) and might do some real damage hitting 4th or 5th. Same for Gurriel, who set a full season pace of just 56 Ks.

I might go:
    Springer
    Bregman
    Gurriel
    Altuve
    Correa

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No way the MVP anywhere below 3rd for the Astros. 3rd is ideal if he keeps up the power.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Maybe it is his ideal spot - but not because he's an MVP and your best hitter bats 3rd.

There are two things about Altuve that sets him apart, at least relative to his teammates: he puts *a lot* of balls in play; he rarely strikes out - why wouldn't we want that guy in position to drive in runs?

Again, maybe he should be hitting 3rd. I just don't want him there because that's the way line-ups have always been constructed. I want the astros to really examine this and see if there's better, more progressive way of setting the batting order.

19. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

LOL no dude. Aoki is not a better hitter than Correa, Springer, Bregman, Gurriel & Gattis.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I think going forward I'd like to see something like this:

Aoki? (or someone else)
    Bregman
    Altuve
    Correa
    Gurriel
    Springer
    Gattis?
    Catcher/idk?
    Marisnick?

I think Bregman is a once in a blue moon batting talent and I would have no problem with him hitting clean-up, even if that means Correa gets moved down to #5. But then I'm not sure about Gurriel being moved to #2.

We still have a hole at 1-b and i'm not sure how the hell that line-up would work fielding wise. But we have 4 awesome batters in Gurriel, Altuve, Bregman, and Correa as well as two solid power hitters in Springer and Gattis.

#20 DudeWah, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Rodman23 likes this.