1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros announce 25-man opening day roster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Zac D, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced today that the club has set its 25-man, Opening Day roster for the 2005 season. The club has optioned right-handed pitcher Ezequiel Astacio, left-handed pitcher Mike Gallo, and catcher Humberto Quintero to Triple A Round Rock. The Astros also purchased the contract of right-handed pitcher Russ Springer from the Express.

Pitchers (11): Brandon Backe, Roger Clemens, Brandon Duckworth, John Franco (L), Chad Harville, Brad Lidge, Roy Oswalt, Andy Pettitte (L), Chad Qualls, Russ Springer, Dan Wheeler

Catchers (2): Brad Ausmus, Raul Chavez.

Infielders (7): Jeff Bagwell, Eric Bruntlett, Chris Burke, Morgan Ensberg, Adam Everett, Mike Lamb, Jose Vizcaino.

Outfielders (5): Craig Biggio, Jason Lane, Orlando Palmeiro, Luke Scott, Willy Taveras.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...tent_id=997834&vkey=pr_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im looking forward to the day where Astacio makes his debut. I like that kid.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

7 infielders is a lot for a team. Zeke most probably will make his debut April 17, first time we need a fifth starter.

4. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

That's assuming Duckworth hasn't won the fifth starting job.

5. fya

fya Member

Let them young bucks play. Should be a fun season actually.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

8 if you count Biggio, I don't think he'll play much, if at all, in the OF. I think Duckworth will be the 5th starter, not Astacio.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I hope not ... Astacio has earned a chance to be that 5th starter and Duckworth has proved to be Duckworthless the last few years. I don't care how well he did in the Spring

Astacio should get the chance with a short leash

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think they will pick up a reliever like Gabe White, Kerry Lighntenburg, Amury Telmeco, Al Levine and drop Harville by Monday.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm still waiting for them to announce the opening day starters. That's when it'll get interesting.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Mike Lamb will probably start opening day in left field.

11. RocketFan007

Instead of Luke Scott? From what I heard, Lamb in left was worse than Lamb at 3rd, which is hard for me to imagine. I'm pretty sure the starting OF will be Scott-Taveras-Lane.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Yea on Thursday's brodcast, Lamb really sounded like he didn't like playing the outfield and he sounded like he sucked there.

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

But he started in LF today versus the Royals so I wouldn't be surprised if he starts opening day. Lane was in CF and Scott in RF. Lane in the spring was pretty horrible in CF so will see if he plays there everyday. By the way Astros lost 3-0 to maybe the worst team in baseball, the Kansas City Royals. The Royals threw out a different AAA scrub pitcher each inning and the Astros made them looked like All-Stars.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=250402118

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Taveras is on the roster because we do not have another everyday CF... and Lane will be getting the job to start. Willy is also a good candidate to pinch-run.

The opening day outfield will be Lamb-Lane-Scott. Lane's defense won't cost us, and Lamb won't be worse than Biggio (esp. at MMP, where there hardly is a LF).

Yea, they got shut-out by a AAA team tonight... but that doesn't suprise any long-time astros fans who have seen even their best offensive teams routinely shut-out by no-name pitchers throughout the last 5 years. They don't hit elite pitching, and they don't hit pitchers who are making their first starts ever... but they feast on the middle-class like no other.

15. MONON

MONON Member

1.WT cf 2.CB lf 3.JB 1b 4.ME 3b 5.LS rf 6.CBurk 2b 7.AE ss 8.BA C

That's my opening day lineup. However I could put Biggio at 2b batting 2nd with Lamb in lf batting 4th or 5th.

16. RocketFan007

I can't see them keeping both Taveras and Burke up and not playing either one of them. Burke will be on the bench, but I think Taveras will get the job in center.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I can (at least against righty pitchers).

Burke will get plenty of playing time... you're not going to see Biggio play his usual 150-160 games, and even in the games he does play, he probably won't be out there in the late innings if we are winning.

Willy right now is too raw at the plate to be an everyday player. But... he can still impact the game in a big way from the bench. He can get the bunt down, steal you a base, and play a solid outfield. He'll be everything we wanted from Glen Barker all those years... ;). Also, he'll be in the lineup for games against lefties, since both Scott and Lamb are lefties.

I'd much rather have Lamb's left-handed bat in the everyday lineup. The guy can flat-out rake... and if we could get by with Biggio playing LF here, we can certainly do no worse w/ Lamb.

#17 Nick, Apr 3, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Willy will not get a chance to be a lead-off man right away. Hell, he didn't even get that chance in ST with the A group.... no way Phil does it when the games count.

Adam started a lot at leadoff, but I still expect Craig to be the #1 guy when the season opens. I think Garner wanted to give Adam plenty of exposure to the spot because he'll have him bat there on games where Biggio sits and Burke plays.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You're high if you think Jason Lane won't start somewhere in the OF. Your starting OF has zero MLB experience.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Other than the expierence thing (Biggio), you're right. I think it will be Scott-Taveras-Lane on Tuesday. There will be some games where Biggio starts in LF and Burke gets the start. One of Scott, Taveras and Burke will get sent down when Berkman returns. That is, unless they decide to cut Orlando Palmeiro.

Based on the last week or so of games, I think the lineup will be

Everett SS
    Biggio 2B
    Bagwell 1B
    Lane RF
    Ensberg 3B
    Scott LF
    Taveras CF
    Ausmus C