1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros acquire Ken Giles

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 9, 2015.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> acquire Ken Giles pending physical. Giles has a career 1.56 ERA. The lowest in baseball history (minimum 100 innings pitched).</p>&mdash; Ace of MLB Stats (@theaceofspaeder) <a href="https://twitter.com/theaceofspaeder/status/674763883177975808">December 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Well that's good

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Astros including a PTBNL. Maybe Brian Holmes is the 3rd pitcher, then.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Phillies Astros deal w Giles is agreed on pending physicals, source confirms. Phils get 3 pitchers plus one more player</p>&mdash; Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JSalisburyCSN/status/674768691213504513">December 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#43 tellitlikeitis, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Well, damn. That's a significant distinction.

5. vince

vince Member

Hate to lose Vince Velazques but with the glut of prospects moving up the system, someone has to go. Appel, Feliz, Musgrove, are all knocking on the door. And the rotation is stacked with Dallas, Collin, McCullers, Fiers, Feldman... if Kazmir is resigned, the rotation has major depth.

Where to find spots for everyone. Sure I'd rather have Vince over Feldman. But what good is it to have great starters and a weak bullpen. Now we have one if the best young closers in baseball.

6. ABforPresident

Where does Giles rank among the best closers in the game? Top 10?

Diggin the trade, lets go get another bat now.

7. Buck Turgidson

The potential is there, sure, but nobody really knows yet. He wasn't their closer until Papelbon was traded.

8. Marteen

Marteen Member

Hurts but that's what you gotta do sometimes, eh? IMO they need at least one more arm in that bullpen.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Top 5 if he reproduces this year what he has done so far in his short MLB career. The dude is really freaking good.

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Wouldnt mind having Luke Greg to set up the flame thrower and to occasionally close.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Very pleased with this trade.

VV is high quality, but we're selling high.

Fisher is a ways off and I'm not sold on his hit tool, so I'm not overly concerned about him.

Obie - no place for him

nice trade to get a long term solution at the back of the pen

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

We going to the ship! :cool:

13. Nook

Nook Member

Well he wasn't as good last year as he was as a rookie but he was still one of the top 10 relief pitchers in baseball. He converted 15/20 saves last season. He has the raw stuff that few relief pitchers have, 2 elite pitches and the right mentality. He may struggle at some point but he isn't doing it with smoke and mirrors. He will be good to great if he stays healthy and has command.

The 5 years of control at low money is huge. Five years is a long time and it also means the Astros still have money to spend. Had they added Miller or Kimbrel, they would have added a good amount of money the next 3-4 years.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Great move and just the beginning. VV is a good prospect but it's not like he came in and had huge success in the majors. Being on a team not expected to do much will be good for him to grow. Obie was AAA filler as far as I was concerned. Fisher hurts a bit but there's more than enough organizational depth to cover.

15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, agreed.

I was never huge on Fisher -- it sounds like he's limited to left field, which in our home park has limited defensive value. His upside is basically Colby Rasmus with less defensive flexibility. Not a bad player, but also replaceable.

With another year of Rasmus and CarGo, plus Springer, Preston Tucker, and Marisnick, along with Kyle Tucker and Daz Cameron, trading a left fielder is definitely a position of strength.

16. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Lowest ERA in MLB history (min. 100 IP)
    Ken Giles: 1.56
    Craig Kimbrel: 1.63
    Dellin Betances: 1.78

Love the trade, dude throws some absolute heat and we have him under control for a long time. He's fun to watch too, very competitive guy. Bullpen is going to be scary with Greg as the set-up man now.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Crazy to see these words typed on a Rockets forum

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Probably will end up as a win/win for both teams provided Giles doesn't have some sort of bad injury.

VV probably will grow into a fine pitcher... also if he stays healthy. Needs better control to survive in the bullpen, but he certainly has elite stuff.

Derek Fisher/Brett Phillips won't be huge losses in the prospect chain if Cameron/Tucker live up to their expectations.

While Oberholtzer had zero role/future here, I don't think his career is at all done, by any means. He becomes the next Randy Wolf/JA Happ for the Phillies.

19. awc713

awc713 Member

Perhaps someone can correct me, but I don't get the remorse over losing Fisher. Don't get me wrong--I'm not ecstatic to see him leave. He's a good player, and will have a good, servicable career. But losing him isn't exactly the end of the world. At the end of the day, Fisher has always seemed like quality depth. We have plenty of Derek Fishers.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I *think* I agree with you, but I could also see a scenario where after next season we lose Rasmus and Gomez, leaving us with Springer, P Tucker and Jake -- which is not ideal. Daz and K Tucker are several years away. So we might need to bridge with a free agent then.