1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Astros acquire Justin Verlander

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2017.

1. BleedsRocketRed

...Also, probably cement his MLB legacy forever by putting the stamp of authenticity on it. Nothing else left to prove after

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Funny to think that his first choice was the Dodgers and there was no chance in hell they wanted to trade for him.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Astros acquire Justin Verlander, acquire Championship

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Verlander got 32 pts, finishes 5th

No Worries likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Major

Major Member

I mentioned this at the time, but I didn't understand why the Cubs didn't claim him. All reports were that they were trying to work out a trade in August. If they claim him, they either get him for no prospects, arrange a trade, or at the worst, no one else gets him. There seemed to be no reason for them NOT to claim him.

7. Buck Turgidson

Stros had the claim on him first, wrt the Cubs, right? Before the NL teams?

It goes same league, bottom to top, then other league...right? Is it prior year record or current year record?

I have questions.

8. Major

Major Member

Oh interesting - I don't know. I assumed it was just league record, but I have no idea! The Astros, though, I could see not claiming him if their concern was the money (getting stuck with him on waivers). Cubs didn't seem to have any such problems, from my understanding.

9. Nook

Nook Member

The feeling in Chicago was the Cubs were not willing to pay his whole salary or a majority of it.

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Verlander doesn't even make the World Series with the cubs....

11. Major

Major Member

I'm surprised, given how aggressive they were and their talk about how they wanted a multi-year solution at SP, but that would explain their reluctance to claim him.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While that may be true, the point is moot since no one claimed him.

13. Nook

Nook Member

The Cubs ownership is making huge amounts of money, and that is about to increase even higher with the complex they are building next to the stadium, in an effort to drive out the local bars that profit from the Cubs and tourists in that area. Having said that, the owner has overall been frugal with his funds. He spent a lot of money on Hayward and they signed some other top free agents. However they let Chapman walk and they didn't go after Jansen; instead getting the GM to trade for a closer. Also, the Cubs went out and traded top prospects for Jose Quintana, who is under team control at lesser money.

The Cubs may very well decide to drop huge money to get someone like Harper or Machado next year. However, living in Chicago I can tell you ownership has as time not shown a willingness to spend money at all costs after winning the World Series. The Cubs wanted Verlander, and were willing to deal prospects for him but they wanted Detroit to eat a lot of money. It was a very bizarre decision, but consistent with the Cubs last year.

Major and vince like this.
  14. conquistador#11

I timed traveled back to the first page and liked many comments. The ones I had already liked, I unliked and liked again, trickle down likes!

BleedsRocketRed and moonsh0t like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Fantasma Negro

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

WTF is a McCarthy Salad and why does it cost $42?!? Also, $28 eggs, and $30 pancakes?? This is in US Dollars, correct??

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Everything is probably organic and the best quality. The place is likely decorated well, offers exceptional service, and a celebrity might walk in.

But yeah, it's still overpriced.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

it's the freaking beverly hills hotel... not exactly a hotel for the budget-conscious traveler.

20. jsingles

jsingles Member

Location location location. I can go to Harris County Line and get all of that, at the same if not much better quality for 20% of the cost. Crazy.