1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Astros acquire Carlos Gomez & Mike Fiers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jul 30, 2015.

?

Do you like the trade?

1. YES

69.4%
  2. NO

16.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

14.6%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gomez is an instant, and significant upgrade over Marisnick, who has been by far our biggest hole offensively for most of the year. Marinick has posted an OPS under .500 since May 1.

Good defensively, and has an .809 OPS over the last 4 seasons. He's good, even in a down season.

2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

This is the psycho CarGo right?

3. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

Love the trade.

4. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

If Gomez can stay healthy, this is a great move imo

5. Remix

Remix Member

Maverick :(

Sad to never get to see him in MMP but with the recent draft OF got seriously crowded. Carlos Gomez should be a exciting addition to this outfield. Oh boy this is fun

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gomez has back to back top 20 MVP finishes. He's won a gold glove in center.

Phillips has upside, but the league is scattered with former top 20 (let alone top 40) prospects who amounted to fringe players.

7. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

So our outfield logjam is now

Tucker (LF)
    Gomez (CF)
    Marisnick (CF)
    Rasmus (RF)
    Springer (RF) --on DL

Maybe Astros brass don't want to rush back Springer and hold off on him until a September return. Not sure I love the deal with Phillips involved..he's having an avg year and the 'Stros have only one additional year of control, right?

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

So Phillips and Hader are the two ppl hate to see gone? I like the deal. Gomez is good.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Not sure about this one... I was hoping for a bonafide superstar. Gomez is alright

10. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Uhh, I absolutely love this deal!!

The loss of Phillips (the best prospect we traded away) hurts, but is offset by the fact that we'll have Carlos Gomez roaming CF for the next few years, so I can totally live with that. Putting his antics aside (which I know are annoying for many), Carlos Gomez is a really good baseball player. Gomez is a very talented player, who is a top 5-10 CFer in the game.

Fiers is a solid pitcher, and I think he can get even better. If he does develop, we basically bought low before he breaks out. He already is a solid #3 or 4 on an average rotation, and if he does in fact break out, you are looking at a legit #2.

And neither are rentals, as Gomez is under contract for 1 more year after this year, and Fiers is under contract for like 3 more years after this year. So we get better immediately, AND in the future!

So in one deal, we just shored up our OF, and our rotation, and still have a TON of minor league depth and talent. This is a hell of a deal.

1 person likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gomez is the main piece or known name but what about Fiers? Anyone know or have anything on him? Where does he fit in?

1 person likes this.
  12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Don't sleep on Fiers. Strom will work with him.

13. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Welcome to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/C_Gomez27">@C_Gomez27</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/Fiers64">@Fiers64</a>! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HTownPride?src=hash">#HTownPride</a> <a href="http://t.co/wtKvcnDx6g">pic.twitter.com/wtKvcnDx6g</a></p>&mdash; Houston Astros (@astros) <a href="https://twitter.com/astros/status/626905458540871681">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

ItS the one that gets u less excited we hot him

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Props to Crane for expanding the payroll. Even though Gomez isn't huge money, that's still a good bump in payroll for a year and a half at least.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Some wouldn't be happy if we traded 4 prospects for Babe Ruth in his prime

This is a great deal. Gave up 4 prospects, but 4 guys who we have plenty of talent at their same spots. Outside of Phillips, those other three would have had a hard time making our club. Gomez is controlled this year and next.

This is a GREAT deal

1 person likes this.
  17. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Altuve
    Correa
    Springer
    Gomez
    Lowrie

is a pretty darn good offensive core for when Springer gets back

18. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

What's the scoop on Fiers? Don't know anything about him

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He strikes people out, that's a good foundation to work with.

He's a decent starter right now, probably on par with McHugh and Feldman, maybe slightly better. But I think Luhnow saw something that suggests with a tweak he could elevate his performance.

1 person likes this.
  20. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

Ok, I grew up as a Brewer fan, and still check out fan sites. They love the trade. Fiers is what he is. He's not going to blow you away, he's been up and down. Gomez has always had potential, some games looks amazing and sometimes makes boneheaded plays, especially on the bases. That said, I think the Astros have solidified themselves for a run in October and I can't wait!