1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros - 2011 MLB Non-Waiver Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jun 15, 2011.

1. FR0497

FR0497 Member

If only the Astros were this bad last year, we could have drafted Rendon to play 3rd.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

•New Astros ownership would like to cut payroll to $60MM, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman (via Twitter). As such, Wandy Rodriguez and Brett Myers are "being shopped," though Houston will likely hang on to Hunter Pence.
    •Discussing those three Houston trade candidates, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says the Astros would have to be "completely blown away" to move Pence, but Myers is very much in play, and there could be a decent market for him. Rodriguez falls somewhere in between - the Astros have fielded plenty of inquires, but it would take a big package to get a deal done.(MLBTR)

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Peter Gammons(MLBTR): •The Astros are asking for as much in return for Wandy Rodriguez as the Rockies are for Ubaldo Jimenez. General manager Ed Wade is in a difficult position, caught between an ownership change. ... Nationals continually pursue Michael Bourn.

4. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

If the Nationals want Bourn, they can start with a package of A.J. Cole and a third base prospect.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Good to see Clint Barmes and Jeff Keppinger hitting well right before the deadline. Both should be moved no matter what. I don't care if you get a player to be named later. At worse, you avoid having to pay them for the rest of the year. Neither should be on the roster next year.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Keep on eye on the Yanks, they want Ubaldo Jimenez but the Rockies are asking for an outrageous package of prospects. Wandy may end up being a nice consolation prize, in the end. Also note, native astro from TCB made a nice observation that newly acquired Lucas Harrell is on the same pitching rotation as Wandy.

Wade can sometimes look so foolish with his contracts. For example, signing Wandy to his contract was reasonable but giving him a 4th year option that turned into a player option if he was traded for 14 million was beyond stupid. Chances were that he would be traded sometime during his contract so why would you include a deterrent for any team looking to deal for Wandy? That 4th year is really hurting his trade value, well besides his recent play.

Jeff Keppinger will make for an excellent utility/2nd baseman for a contender and should get us something substantial.

7. rockets934life

IF the Nats really do like Bourn, THAT MUCH, then I'd ask for Bryce Harper...JUST KIDDING.

Seriously though, I'd ask for AJ Cole right off the bat but I have my doubts you'd get him in any deal with them. I'd be happy with Wilson Ramos and Robbie Ray. Derek Norris is their catcher of the future and while they could move Ramos to 1st, not sure that's their preference. Ray has been DOMINATING at the A level and his ceiling is pretty darn high.

Edit - Not that I don't like Castro, I do have some doubts, but overall pleased with his progress but when you could your hands a good young MLB ready catcher who can actually hit the ball, you have to take it and worry about Jason next season. Ramos could move to 3rd if necessary or even 1st if the Wallace platoon fails.

#107 rockets934life, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  8. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I wonder if the Bucs' Pedro Alvarez's 2011 struggles could get him entered into the trade conversation for Pence. The kid was great last year and the Pirates have considered leaving him in AAA while they are in the midst of their pennant race.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

You ain't getting nothing substantial for Keppinger. At best you get two B level prospects.

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

If we are really going to the AL West, then we should keep our fingers crossed that the Yankees change their opinion about Wandy and reconsider him a solid starter. Jesus Montero may not be a good defensive catcher, but he'd be an AWESOME DH.

11. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I'm glad Pence's name is heating up in trade rumors. He's having a career year and the Astros could potentially get some A level prospects in return. Maybe Alvarez and Brad Lincoln could be got from the Bucs. Not sure about Lincoln, but Alvarez could hit 40 HR a year with MMP's short porch in left.

12. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

I think alvarez is going to be a bust. If pence goes to Pitt I'd want nothing else than taillon. A Houston native and an elite pitching prospect. They refer to wanting prospects
    close to majors but given that state of things I don't think the Astros should care about that. Just get the best players you can.

#112 DoitDickau, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  13. msn

msn Member

planning for a "dh" for the Astros? I just threw up. all over my keyboard.

you owe me $15. "dh" on the Astros. The Astros -- all of their players -- play baseball.

the AL sucks and so does the DH.

14. rockets934life

Mark DeRosa got the Indians one of the best closers in the game, I'd want someone who could make that kind of impact.

15. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Yeah that's because Mark DeRosa at that time was real good. He had power, was a good glove man, and a hitting for a decent average. Keppinger is a solid player and in a hot streak right now but he has little to no power and isn't a great defender. I am sure most teams see him a utility player. He is basically going be around a .285 hitter by the end of the season I am willing to bet.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Heyman:

17. YaosDirtyStache

I am not the biggest baseball fan but I am diamond hard just thinking about the stros finally building a farm. DIAMOND. HARD.

18. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Yes, because if there's any team out there that takes a stand on obscene contracts and ridiculous spending, it's the Yankees.

19. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Trade everyone we can, get the best prospects we can, and see what happens. That's all we can do.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why is Brett Wallace a keepr? 6 homeruns in 432 at-bats isn't getting it done at 1st base. I like his approach at the plate, but it doesn't seem he has the power.