1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros - 2011 MLB Non-Waiver Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets934life, Jun 15, 2011.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Why is everyone assuming these reports are accurate? Would the Stros just dump Wandy, maybe but there was action on Wandy before the deadline. I remember Jon Heyman, who is the one saying that salary has to be cut, saying no one wanted Wandy and that the Stros were beginning teams to take him on. At the deadline, there was plenty of action for Wandy and still is.

If there is someone to blame, its Wade. He signed Wandy to a stupid contract, well actually stupid 4th yr option, and not Crane.

By they way, how many 1st rd picks have been signed to date? MLB tells teams to hold off on over slot signings until close to the deadline, Stros are fine with Springer. Armstrong said from the very beginning he wanted to pitch in the Cape to increase value...he barely finished yesterday and taking a physical today.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dont know this for fact, but im betting that all the offers we got for Wandy included eating some of his salary.

If doing so ties our hands in signing our draft picks or our financial flexibility, then I can see going this route.

Getting prospects back in trading Wandy isnt as good as it looks if we are still having to pay him.

3. rockets934life

So the odds are that he just goes in the toilet or becomes a #1? IMHO, odds are he is a #3 starter. Could he collapse, sure but all signs point to him continuing to improve. Happ, could still rebound and become a good #4, which is what he was suppose to be. A lot of pitchers of his level go through different stretches like this and rebound.

4. rockets934life

You mean losing seasons in 4 out of the last 5 years? Worst organization in baseball? New manager ever 2 years and new coaches every year?

I'll take my chances with Crane.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Odds are he is back of the rotation starter or a power arm out of the bullpen, but it certainly isn't clear regarding him. He has yet to pitch 200 innings, and this is his first season as an average pitcher. Lets see him do it for back-to-back seasons before we call it clear.

Four months ago, J.A. Happ looked like a #3 starter. Now we are left wondering if he can ever get back there.

6. juicystream

The organization's only WS appearance, 6 of their 9 playoff appearances, 14 seasons with winning records, the 1538-1430 record during his tenure (In these final 2 weeks, we will likely see him finish right around 100 games over .500).

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think it has less to do with Drayton, and more to do with who the general managers have been. That being said, I wont miss Drayton, I miss Gerry Hunsicker

8. rockets934life

I get all that and will defend Drayton against anyone who calls him cheap or a bad overall owner. That said, these last five years have been hard to stomach, decisions have been made to keep the team mediocre but not a contender. He let the farm system dissolve and put people in charge that were questionable hires at best. He traded Berkman and Oswalt away because they wanted it not because it made sense. Would we have rebuilt had Crane not bought the team?

Love Drayton but dislike Uncle D...give me a new direction with someone who understands were we need to do and go.

9. rockets934life

On Norris, I guess I am more bullish with guys like him. He has a bulldog mentality that I like and you can tell by the amount of swings and misses that he has plus stuff. I pretty much cam tell who he is and he is becoming.

When Wandy was developing, you could tell he had good stuff but just needed to find "it" and he has.

IMHO, Norris is who he is, power pitcher with a good slider that projects as a middle of the rotation starter. If he develops a bit more then maybe a two but probably a really solid three. I don't need 200 innings to tell me that but he should get close this season.

Happ was always suppose to be a back of the rotation guy and fairly confident he'll end up there.

#569 rockets934life, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  10. juicystream

Drayton had already shown in recent years that he was looking to rebuild. They signed their draft picks, they opened the Dominican Academy, and started signing international FAs again. I think he realized the mistakes that were being made. I also believe Drayton tried to keep us in contention because he knew he wasn't going to own the team much longer.

11. juicystream

What does he have? :p

I'm not sold on Norris as a starter. I certainly agree with leaving him as a starter, since so far he has shown to be capable, but I worry about his reliance on his fastball. I haven't watched him this season, and have been listening rather than reading gamecasts, so I don't know if he has started throwing his changeup, or another 3rd pitch more often that will help him as a starter.

12. rockets934life

Giving Wandy and Myers big money, trading for Barmes and signing Bill Hall tells me he wasnt rebuilding. The rest is great but he never was willing to fully rebuild and instead keep us mediocre. He had a great run, spent money and was great in the community but his time has passed him by and new direction with fresh ideas are needed.

13. juicystream

He still wanted to field a competitive team, and we didn't have young players ready to fill those positions, and Barmes is a stopgap for Villar, and Hall for Altuve. Barmes had potential value this deadline, and Hall could have as well if he maintained last season's numbers. Should have traded Wandy and Myers last year.

I agree that the organization needs change, but Drayton's tenure should be celebrated, not demonized. I hope Crane is a great owner, but he needs to prove it first.

14. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Domingo Santana is the PTBNL from the Pence trade.

19 year old 6'5" OF. Sounds very raw, but with huge 5-tool ceiling. BA rated him the Phillies #9 prospect going into the season.

15. juicystream

Just the kind of player you want as a PTBNL. A young guy with a very high ceiling.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

great news--thanks

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow!

Domingo Santana last year had 149 K's in 351 AB's. That has to approach some kind of record.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Way to go Ed Wade ... Way to build your legacy before you get the ax.