1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astronaut Scott Kelly on the devastating effects of a year in space

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Oct 7, 2017.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

One of several key reasons we won't be going to Mars for a long time.
    _____

Astronaut Scott Kelly on the devastating effects of a year in space

NASA astronaut Scott Kelly spent a year in space. His recollections of this unprecedented test of human endurance, and the physical toll it took, raise questions about the likelihood of future travel to Mars.

I'm sitting at the head of my dining room table at home in Houston, Texas, finishing dinner with my family: my longtime girlfriend Amiko, my twin brother Mark, his wife, former US congresswoman Gabby Giffords, his daughter Claudia, our father Richie and my daughters Samantha and Charlotte. It's a simple thing, sit ting at a table and eating a meal with those you love, and many people do it every day without giving it much thought. For me, it's something I've been dreaming of for almost a year.

I contemplated what it would be like to eat this meal so many times. Now that I'm finally here, it doesn't seem entirely real. The faces of the people I love that I haven't seen for so long, the chatter of many people talking together, the clink of silverware, the swish of wine in a glass – these are all unfamiliar. Even the sensation of gravity holding me in my chair feels strange, and every time I put a glass or fork down on the table there's a part of my mind that is looking for a dot of Velcro or a strip of duct tape to hold it in place.

It's March 2016, and I've been back on Earth, after a year in space, for precisely 48 hours. I push back from the table and struggle to stand up, feeling like a very old man getting out of a recliner.

"Stick a fork in me, I'm done," I announce. Everyone laughs and encourages me to get some rest. I start the journey to my bedroom: about 20 steps from the chair to the bed. On the third step, the floor seems to lurch under me, and I stumble into a planter. Of course, it isn't the floor – it's my vestibular system trying to read just to Earth's gravity. I'm getting used to walking again.

"That's the first time I've seen you stumble," Mark says. "You're doing pretty good." A former astronaut, Mark knows from personal experience what it's like to come back to Earth. As I walk by Samantha, I put my hand on her shoulder and she smiles up at me.

I make it to my bedroom without incident and close the door behind me. Every part of my body hurts. All my joints and all of my muscles are protesting the crushing pressure of gravity. I'm also nauseated, though I haven't thrown up. I strip off my clothes and get into bed, relishing the feeling of sheets, the light pressure of the blanket over me, the fluff of the pillow under my head.

All these are things I've missed dearly for the past year. I can hear the happy chatter of my family behind the door, voices I haven't heard for a long time without the distortion of phones bouncing signals off satellites. I drift off to sleep to the comforting sound of their talking and laughing.

A crack of light wakes me: Is it morning? No, it's just Amiko coming to bed. I've only been asleep for a couple of hours but I feel delirious. It's a struggle to come to consciousness enough to move, to tell her how awful I feel. I'm seriously nauseated now, feverish, and my pain has gotten worse. This isn't like how I felt after my last mission. This is much, much worse.

"Amiko," I finally manage to say. She is alarmed by the sound of my voice.

"What is it?" Her hand is on my arm, then on my forehead.

Her skin feels chilled, but it's just that I'm so hot. "I don't feel good," I say.

Over the past year, I've spent 340 days alongside Russian astronaut Mikhail "Misha" Kornienko on the International Space Station (ISS). As part of NASA's planned journey to Mars, we're members of a program designed to discover what effect such long-term time in space has on human beings. This was my fourth trip to space, and by the end of the mission I'd spent 520 days up there, more than any other NASA astronaut. Amiko has gone through the whole process with me as my main support once before, when I spent 159 days on the ISS in 2010-11. I had a reaction to coming back from space that time, but it was nothing like this.

I struggle to get up. Find the edge of the bed. Feet down. Sit up. Stand up. At every stage I feel like I'm fighting through quicksand. When I'm finally vertical, the pain in my legs is awful, and on top of that pain I feel a sensation that's even more alarming: it feels as though all the blood in my body is rushing to my legs, like the sensation of the blood rushing to your head when you do a handstand, but in reverse.

I can feel the tissue in my legs swelling. I shuffle my way to the bath room, moving my weight from one foot to the other with deliberate effort. Left. Right. Left. Right. I make it to the bathroom, flip on the light, and look down at my legs. They are swollen and alien stumps, not legs at all. "Oh ****," I say. "Amiko, come look at this." She kneels down and squeezes one ankle, and it squishes like a water balloon. She looks up at me with worried eyes. "I can't even feel your ankle bones," she says.

"My skin is burning, too," I tell her. Amiko frantically examines me. I have a strange rash all over my back, the backs of my legs, the back of my head and neck – everywhere I was in contact with the bed. I can feel her cool hands moving over my inflamed skin. "It looks like an allergic rash," she says. "Like hives."

I use the bathroom and shuffle back to bed, wondering what I should do. Normally if I woke up feeling like this, I would go to the emergency room. But no one at the hospital will have seen symptoms of having been in space for a year. I crawl back into bed, trying to find a way to lie down without touching my rash.

continued

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

A bit too dramatic for acting in a studio for a year. PM if you want to know more about all the fake stuff NASA has been pulling since the inception of the space program. I have some very informative...indisputable links to the truth.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He ends the article with this, "But I know now that if we decide to [go to Mars], we can.

So, you're saying since Mars is ~300 days of travel right now, the first thing that would happen to astronauts upon landing is they'd experience his crippling sickness and debilitating effects in the first days/weeks due to gravity....at a crucial time when they are most likely needed to perform at a high level.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Mars gravity is only about 40% that of Earth. So the symptoms wont be as bad as they are on Earth.

Also the 300 days travel time is if you want to conserve fuel and use the minimum energy orbit to get there. You can cut down the travel time by using more fuel.

#4 Zboy, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  5. Buck Turgidson

I think it's strange he wasn't under medical observation 48 hours after being back.

6. Nigel Thornberry

[​IMG]
    Well this thread sucks...

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. KingCheetah

Yes, that is one issue -- then you have the massive doses of radiation they will receive on Mars which will effect cognitive abilities and possibly kill them on the planet particularly if they are hit by a significant number of cosmic rays (and this will happen). Throw out all of the 'budget' missions to Mars -- this is bigger than the moon shot and will cost close to a trillion dollars. Who is paying for that? The mission will be extremely long and getting all the necessary supplies to the planet will be extremely difficult (think how hard it is to keep people alive in Antarctica). I'll stop here, but there are quite a few more serious hurdles to overcome.

Yes, we will go as Kelly states -- it most likely won't be in our lifetimes though -- I hope I am wrong, but we have to get to Mars much faster (new propulsion system) and create far better radiation shielding both for shelters and space suits. Supply logistics is possible with current tech, but still incredibly difficult as successful missions to the planet stand at approximately 30%.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

I really couldn't understand this either considering how meticulous NASA typically is about everything.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The nuts on Kelly and Korneienko to allow themselves to be test subjects for a year in space must be massive. Im surprised they didnt crater the Earth with those nuts, upon entering into Earths atmosphere and gravity took full effect.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cabin fever? A year is crazy long. I was thinking Castawy in the first few paragraphs. Not as extreme but still...

If he isn't sick, they have time to prep his home like outpatient care. Kinda makes those alien infiltration movies more plausible...

They probably took blood and urine samples and let him enjoy the company of his family.

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

13. dmoneybangbang

A trillion dollars? Seems like a lot of hyperbole...

Radiation isn't an issue when you are underground.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

We know how to simulate gravity in space. Is it just too cost prohibitive to do this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I remember when all the countries were complaining how expensive it was to build the ISS and shrank it.

It's great they made it for all those experiments that could each impact humanity, but priorities man...

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Seems like with everything and anything else in life corporations use us for a need and spit us out when they are finished

cheke64 likes this.
  17. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Basically. The rotation radius of the spaceship can't be too small, or it will draw blood away from the astronaut's brains. Adjusting for the minimum necessary rotation radius would mean the spaceship would be the size of a football field.

marks0223 likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

SCOTT KELLY: NASA TWINS STUDY CONFIRMS ASTRONAUT'S DNA ACTUALLY CHANGED IN SPACE

Astronaut Scott Kelly’s DNA was altered by a year in space, results from NASA’s Twins Study have confirmed. Seven percent of his genes did not return to normal after he landed, researchers found.

Scott Kelly and his twin brother, Mark Kelly—also an astronaut—were the subjects of the study that sought to find out exactly what happens to the body after a year in space.

Scott stayed on the International Space Station from March 2015 to March 2016, while Mark remained on Earth. This was the final mission for Scott, who spent a total of 520 days in space during his career.

Scott Kelly's one-year stint in space is "a stepping stone to a three-year mission to Mars," NASA reported. At present, astronauts only spend six months on the International Space Station as standard. A mission to Mars, however, could take three years.

Researchers studied Scott in space psychologically and physiologically, comparing his results to those of his Earthbound brother. They looked at various proteins and evaluated the twins' cognition as part of the overall study. Ten research teams presented their preliminary findings last year at NASA’s Human Research Program2017 Investigators' Workshop (IWS). The recent 2018 IWS saw these findings confirmed. Researchers also presented data from Scott’s time back on Earth.

The researchers linked space travel to oxygen deprivation stress, increased inflammation and striking nutrient shifts that affect gene expression. Some of these changes went back to normal within hours of landing on Earth. A few, however, still affected Scott six months after his return.

In 2017, researchers discovered that the endcaps of Scott Kelly’s chromosomes—his telomeres—had become longer while he was in space. Further testing confirmed this change, and revealed that most of the telomeres had shortened again within just two days of his return.

After landing, 93 percent of Scott Kelly’s genes returned to normal, the researchers found. The altered 7 percent, however, could indicate long-term changes in genes connected to the immune system, DNA repair, bone formation networks, oxygen deprivation and elevated carbon dioxide levels

The individual studies on the twins will be combined into a summary paper, as detailed in the graphic above. This summary is set to be released later this year. The research will inform NASA's understanding of the human body in space for "years to come," the agency reported, as it "continues to prioritize the health and safety of astronauts on spaceflight missions."

Link

No Worries, B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

^^^ This may not end well.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member