1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astrodome

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MrRoboto, Apr 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

All this talk about flood control in areas around Houston makes me laugh. Let’s just blow up the Astrodome and use the money to put Houston on stilts.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I backed a documentary about the Dome on Kickstarter called, "The Dome Movie" that aired on MLB Network last year. Here's an unlisted upload of it on YouTube for those interested, please don't share widely.

Deckard, Hippieloser, jelanit and 2 others like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

52 minutes later, and I can't watch it....

eta: nevermind, youtube will let me on their site

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This was from last Tuesday's game at Target Field.
    [​IMG]

BigM, B-Bob, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  5. BleedsRocketRed

Good ol' sneaky petes behind you. lol

I know exactly where you're standing at too lol. I used to live near Target Field in the late 2000's

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I saw this video and was reminded "ah ****! We're still spending money on this ****."

hieuytran and arkoe like this.
  7. Roscoe Arbuckle

You're more than likely 12 and never set foot in it...

8. Buck Turgidson

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Deckard likes this.
  9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Just ****ing tear it down already. It’s like people turn into building hoarders when discussing it. Yes, I went to tons of Astros and Oilers games in the 80’s/early 90’s there and saw tons of rodeos. Yes the scoreboard was great for the time with the cowboy and the bull with flags on its horns but who cares now?

Those of you who want to keep it, do you actually ever drive by and just stare at it wistfully? What’s the point of keeping it? It’s empty and slowly filling with rat ****. It’s in an inconvenient part of town. There are now entire generations who never went there.

Master Baiter, B-Bob, Sajan and 2 others like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well who pooped in your cereal this morning?

11. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Went to the Real Madrid/Bayern Munich game the other day. It's awful and embarrassing to have that eyesore greet out of towners coming to a game.

Get rid of it or least put a bag over its head.

B-Bob, Sajan, arkoe and 1 other person like this.
  12. Blake

Ha! Woke up at 4am and couldn’t go back to sleep. A bit harsh. But I don’t understand why we don’t tear it down already.

TexasTofu likes this.
  13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The decision has already been made, construction should begin soon to raise the floor to ground level with a parking garage below and huge convention space above.

14. Blake

Pretty sure the funding didn’t come through. We already have a dated convention center. Tear it down

TexasTofu and Torn n Frayed like this.
  15. marks0223

Supporting Member

It's the cost of the AC causing a delay. The Texas Historical Society now gets to approve any alteration...or distruction. They will never approve for it to be destroyed.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

Follow the process. You're already incorrect.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A/C is a pretty big deal... Did they not think they would need it?

I think the biggest issue is that its not an attraction in/of and by itself... like most historical buildings are. If so, the plan would be to restore it to its original configuration and turn it into a museum of sorts. Its also not an ideal convention space or whatever they're trying to do with it... its basically them trying to find some use for a shell of the building as its already been built and mostly paid for.

And in the end, it may still end up being relatively unused as Houston does not necessarily need more and more convention space... and then what?

18. marks0223

Supporting Member

When it was discovered that AC wasn't included they said, oh yeah, well AC was going to be phase 2...huh? All we heard was $105 million for the garage and convention space and I'm sure we assumed AC was part of the deal. It is a cluster**** and with the Historical Society in control it might make it worse. Maybe the Astrodome will start to crumble and give it a Roman Coliseum look.

arkoe and B-Bob like this.
  19. Roscoe Arbuckle

If they unpaint the skylights, it could be the biggest indoor park in History. Not sure why people don't see that? Again, grass will grow in there.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody would go... and minus the 3 hottest months of the year, the actual real outdoor parks in Houston are well-frequented, have a variety of things to do, and should get more money/infrastructure put into them vs. the Astrodome.

Unfortunately, the only thing that makes sense... is for it to be a sports stadium.

arkoe likes this.