1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As of right now, is Lin one of the worst starting PG's in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Jan 21, 2013.

?

Is he one of the worst?

1. Yes.

39.7%
  2. No.

45.8%
  3. Y U A LOH DOE BRAH?

14.5%
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Huh? 55 out of 96 guards? That doesn't mean he's one of the worst starting point guards in the league? There are sixty starting guards in the NBA.

2. Nook

Nook Member

This is a stupid thread. Lin is fine. The Rockets are not losing because of Lin. How about a thread on how bad the power forward are or the bench?

3. Roxs

Roxs Member

I thought Lin was an inconsistent player too. Then I looked up his GameScores numbers on Basketball-Reference.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01/gamelog/2013/

In 42 games, Lin's GameScore average is 10.2. Hollinger considers 10 to be average. So in the 42 games so far this season, Lin is the slightest bit above average.

Lin has had games where he has plain stunk (vs MIN on 12/26, CHI on 11/21, LAL on 12/04, etc). Those games had negative GameScore which is hard to do as a starter. However, he's also had really dominate games (vs SAS on 12/10, CHI on 12/25, TOR on 11/27, NYK on 12/17, both games against ATL, etc).

If you look at his GameScore chronologically, he isn't more or less consistent than any other Rockets player not named Harden.

What we're really asking for from Lin is to be above average every night. By we, I mean me and what I think everyone wants out of Lin. However, I'll settle for him being above average every 4 out of 5 nights. If he can get that, I'll be happy. Right now Lin is playing average or better just 1 out of every 2 nights.

4. rocketblood713

The bench was good today lol Morris had 21 Delfino 16 and Beverley had 10

5. Roxs

Roxs Member

There are 32 NBA teams. There are 2 starting guards per team. There are 96 guards in the league that averages 20 or more minutes. Why is that so hard to understand? I've said that in each of my posts.

I've also explained why my search included shooting guards. If you don't want to read my previous posts in this thread, fine, but then stop trying to invalidate my analysis by harping on a point that you don't understand as if doing that by itself invalidates everything else I've stated.

6. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

Just because Lin has a couple bad games doesn't mean you have to over react. I think you're just expecting a lot out of Lin along with the 7 game losing streak.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Random thoughts.

I don't think Jeremy is one of the worst point guards in the league, although he certainly isn't one of the best. No yet. What I do think is that what's going on with the team and the rotations, the new players, the minutes that are being handed out, who's playing from game to game, and who isn't, just has to be disruptive for the players. All of them, not just Mr. Lin. The trading deadline gets closer and closer, and we have this upheaval in personel. After thinking about it, the losing streak is probably from more than dead legs, although that has to have been part of the problem.

So what is going on?

I like what I've seen of Beverley, and I like what TD has given us on the court, and I like Jeremy, but how are we going to parcel the playing time out? Beverley looks like a terrific guy to backup Lin, and you'd think TD could get some minutes giving Harden more of a breather that he's been getting, with both TD and Beverley getting more minutes if Harden and Lin are having an off-night, or we need more defense, depending on matchups. So far, I can't make sense out of what I'm seeing from game to game over the last 8 or so games.

What is going on in that big fat brain of Daryl Morey? Forget McHale. Morey has to be fixing to do something. What?

8. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

He's not playing PG. Not sure what position "stand in the corner" is. Maybe SF????

9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Name all 32 teams.

10. Bball_4life

Bball_4life Member

Overall Lin's FG% of 0.425 is not that bad; there are "elite" PGs like Deron Williams at %0.405 and Westbrook at %0.421. We wouldn't have threads like this one and "Lin's is a joke" one, if Lin was not so unselfish and look for more of his own shots and get his PPG to at least 16-17.

I like Lin but I do think it's part coach and part Lin's fault. I have said it before he needs to be more aggressive (even though I do think with the current Mchale's offense it is difficult for him) and at least take more shots. There is no way he can get to a respectable 16-17 PPG or more if he continues to take the limited amount of shots he normally takes. Also, he drives to the basket well, so needs to learn how to draw more fouls.

11. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

As I said before, Lin is holding himself back, he can be a good player right now if he would just learn to say no and want the ball in his hands opposed to being content with playing the Derek Fisher role.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Package him to LA with Asik for Dwight, we get that second superstar and LA gets their future PG and something closer to a semblance of a team .

13. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Good idea.

14. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

All your posts are very fair in terms of analyzing Lin's games. As a Lin fan, I really appreciate it. I hope people can give him more time to adapt to his current role. He has never been a good 3pt shooter and I do not think he was prepared to be one due to the fact that Harden was signed 2 days before the regular season that changes everything.

my 2c

15. Roxs

Roxs Member

You know, I was having a debate with a friend bout who would win the Super Bowl. I am aware that there is only 30 NBA teams. FWIW, I'm glad that the Patriots are out. That's all I care about in that sport.

It doesn't change the fact that 96 guards in the NBA averages 20 or more mins per game.

16. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Well done.

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Sure, PER must be the single definitive stats to determine a player's level.

18. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Your mum forgot to pick you up from kindie huh?

19. kcal

kcal Member

Come on now, don't disrespect the harlem globetrotters and the washington generals.

20. kcal

kcal Member

Yeah, after a few hours on this board, I've completely given up on civility. 9/10, the goal of people quoting someone else's post is simply to piss them off.

Seriously, all of the bickering is making me hate the rockets. I'll try posting for another day or two, otherwise, I've got better things to do with my time.

Good luck.