1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As of right now, is Lin one of the worst starting PG's in the NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Jan 21, 2013.

?

Is he one of the worst?

1. Yes.

39.7%
  2. No.

45.8%
  3. Y U A LOH DOE BRAH?

14.5%
  1. rocketblood713

So whos fault is it for the poor play of Lin ?

2. Roxs

Roxs Member

Why are people so irrational when it comes to Lin? Whether it's LOFs making bold "Lin is an elite PG" statement and LOHs saying "Lin is the worst PG in the league"...when the answer, according to just about every statistical measure, shows Lin is pretty much average.

Why can't people just accept that, overall, Lin's tenure with the Rockets so far is just average?

If you are a fan of the Rockets, you need to accept that Lin is the PG for the foreseeable future. No one here can predict the future, so that is the only assumption you can work with. Therefore, you should root for him to work on his shortcomings and to find some measure of consistency.

3. kcal

kcal Member

Of course not, but we can all clearly discern coaching patterns. Mchale wants harden to be the unquestioned focal point of the offense. Mchale also is unwilling to go with a deeper rotation, esp. with his younger players.

The net result is an offense dominated by harden, with an increasingly weaker yield over time, and starters who are gassed from playing excessive minutes.

The team is being set up by mchale for a second half of the season downward spiral.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

R U Avin a giggle m8

5. rocketblood713

maybe its fatigue and the all star break coming up is what this team needs ...

6. robrhodes

robrhodes Member

I'm not loh but i call it like I see it, right now he sucks. I see some potential and he could develop and become a good starter one day. Some point guards take awhile to put it all together. He needs to focus more on getting his teammates the ball in spots that they like, and becoming more of a floor general. It wouldn't hurt if he improved in catch and shoot situations either.

I'm not sure the coaches even trust him to run the offense. He usually just brings it up and passes to Harden. In the 2nd quarter Beverley or Douglas usually runs the show while he plays off ball. Nobody even bothers to guard him at the 3 point line. It's like Rafer Alston all over again minus the confidence.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

wow....

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

I like Lin 'cuz I adore his story last year, but reality is he's been playing like a scrub lately and he's been bad more than good for the season.

- He takes forever to bring the ball up 'cuz he gets scared when there's ball pressure, which leaves less time for the offense to run their play.

- Sure, he'll make a couple of nice passes a game, but other than that, he's been practically useless on offense lately.

- He refuses to put any kind of ball pressure on opposing players, he doesn't fight through screens.

- He has shown to be a liability on defense for many games, not just today. Sure, Kemba Walker was torching everyone, but too many times we've seen Lin getting torched like that, too many times we've seen Lin have to play 5 feet off his man 'cuz he's not quick enough to stay in front of the explosive guards in the league.

Honestly, I think the only reason McHale benched Parsons and Patterson along with Lin to start the second half against Minnesota was so Lin wasn't getting thrown under the bus, I think McHale really only wanted to bench Lin.

Do I think this is it for Lin and he will only go downhill from here? Of course not, I still believe he can be a good player, better than Lowry or Dragic, but if Lin doesn't pick it up next game, I'll all up for starting Beverly until Lin gets his groove back.

9. kcal

kcal Member

WTF???? LOL!!!

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

Probably Troll..

But if not troll, good luck winning on the Lakers, Lin when even Nash can't. He will be crucified just as hard.

11. Bball_4life

Bball_4life Member

I bet you when we get a new competent coach (hopefully) Harden's efficiency and Lin's stats would sky rocket.

12. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Lins been a horrible shooter since preseason. Thats called rondo level not "slump"

13. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Lin is a great defender for his position. Guess what, not many people can stay in front of "explosive guards in the league." How many people are shutting down Westbrook on D? It's hard enough to stay with them 1v1 let alone when you get screened multiple times. That's where help D is supposed to come in. Even so Lin holds his own most of the time and has even owned some of them (Jeff Teague). Let's not forget his blocks on Timmy D and Josh Smith. How many PGs make those plays?

14. China Rockets

China Rockets Member

I am from China, I am a big fan of Rox, but not a fan of Lin, he really plays bad now.

15. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Now you are talking... I think we are all sick of his passivity when we know he is capable of doing more. Don't care if the coaches or whatever, Lin needs to man up and play his game. Benching hopefully will be a good wake up call for him.

16. rocketblood713

Im not a LOF or a LOH Im more of a Rockets Only Fan so I just wanna see the TEAM do good not just on person and if Lin can get better its all good but lets if he can turn it on against Denver

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Just wanted to say that Lillard and Hill aren't their team's best scoring option. Ultimately it would be ideal if Lin would facilitate and get easy shots for Harden.. but it's just not how it's working right now.

He's borderline. Right now he's not at his best obviously, but he's coming off an injury. I think Rubio is a bottom 15 PG, but I think he's marginally better than Lin (based off last season's play).

However it's pretty much a toss up between those two.

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

That said Lin IS insanely inconsistent. He is now back to playing like he was the beginning of the season (before the winning streak).

19. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

If that was the case, Beverely wouldn't have played the last 20 minutes of the game.

20. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

sometimes he's on, sometimes he off.

People talk about him getting lit up, that just happens when you play other good players. He played great D against Westbrook when Houston lost to OKC.

I dont get how the original poster says he's not better or on the same level as collison who he just tooled the other day to the point the Mavs sat him on the bench and trotted out Mike James to D him. He's outshined Jeff Teague twice already this year. Both times this year vs Rondo he played tremendous D on him.
    Over the course of the year you're just going to get scored on, but the scrutiny on the guy is ridiculous it all gets blown out of proportion. Just the other day Ty Lawson drubbed Lillard to the tune of 24 pts 12 assists...did anyone care?

Looking at that list, how many of those guys have played more games than Lin? Pretty much everyone except Lillard. No one ever said Lin was a finished product. WHen he's got 5-6 years in the league under his belt, we'll see where he fits.

McHale needs to stagger Lin/Harden minutes, for some reason he stopped doing that as of late.