1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Except the fact is that neither of Melo, Harden and Dwight are over 31 years old and are all in their prime.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Comparing over the hill Olajuwon, over the hill Barkley, and an over the hill version of the guy who rode MJ's coat tails to a mid 20's Harden, late 20's Howard and a 30 year old Melo is intellectually dishonest at best and pants on head r****ded at worst.....and I say that as someone who doesn't want Melo.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No mention of trading Harden.....Carl faints...

4. dobro1229

Do you think Houston would shed a tear if they ended up with each over the other?

If the Rockets landed Bosh they'd be a top 5 defense, and would probably even be more potent offensively with Bosh upgrading Jones and also being able to play the 5 when Howard is on the bench.

I would be willing to bet that Morey is probably going after Love, Melo, and open to Bosh as well. He's going to be taking the first one that drops in his lap.

Bosh wouldn't be the true 3rd superstar, but as far as fit goes, he's pretty much the perfect consolation prize. However the downside for you is Harden's role as the key facilitator becomes more and more important. He's going to have even more burden to make good decisions in the half court.

5. Marteen

Marteen Member

I wonder what cyberx has to say about this. Still think he stays in the East where it's easier.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

To play D there has to be a commitment. The Rox, from coach to players, must be committed.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I would rather have Bosh than Melo just because I think Melo will command more money and his game would add more isoball to our team

Bosh has shown that he can defend decently and play off the ball alot better than Melo. Bosh has range too and won't really interfere with the egos of this team

8. tr3yzle

tr3yzle Member

Unless the Bulls can pull the wool over Melos eyes and convince him that DRose is going to be healthy he will be a Rocket next season. There is no argument that can be made to me to prove that Rose will ever be the player he once was. Harden, Dwight and Melo easily make the Rockets a top 3 NBA team.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I would prefer Bosh over Melo but there are nothing on the Bosh front on whether or not he or any of the other heat all-stars are leaving Miami.

that being said Melo IMO is the most complete offensive player in the NBA right now. (Kobe is actually the most but given his age and injuries I cant really count him anymore) By complete I mean the ways he can score the ball - from 3, getting to the line, transition, mid-range, and in the post. (Durant still lacks a consistent post game)

Given our woes on defense having another elite offensive player doesn't make sense, but Anthony isn't a sieve either on defense like Harden. The question is can he guard the larger PFs in the west like Griffin, Alridge, Ibaka? Probably not - but he can't do worse than our current options at PF in Jones and Motiejunas. On the flip side though - can those guys guard Melo? I dont think so - Ibaka would be the best one and he would have trouble when Melo pulls him out of the key.

He has played PF in the east and has some experience guarding bigger players than him, its not going to be easy but if there is a talent like Melo out there who WANTS to join your team you have to go all-in and try to get him. (Thats crazy weird to think there are all-nba players that WANT to join Houston now - first Dwight and now Melo -- good times) The team has to be thinking to be winning it all in the next 3-4 years. Yes Melo is 30 but doesn't have the same wear/tear as Wade, LeBron, Bosh from extended playoff runs - while he has been to the playoffs every year except last year I believe he only made it out of the first round once.

Like Harden though Melo is 'old-school' he isnt as reliant on athleticism the way James and Bosh is. He does uses his quickness but also uses his strength (less likely to go) and since he can score anywhere on the court he still should be an elite scorer for the next 4-5 years. A threat that can go off for 30 any given night, not just 20.

It will be interesting to see what happens - there isnt the same buzz just yet like last year when it came to the Howard free agency -- at least among the players. Would they be as open into welcoming him? Should be another fun early offseason

2 people like this.
  10. dobro1229

A Bosh/ Howard front line is a pretty damn good start. Bosh has great size for a 4, is very underrated as a team defender, and we all know how good Howard is.

Beverley .... he's committed.

Parsons... I think he can get back to where he was his rookie season.

That just leaves Harden. A little bit of improvement will go a long way. We all know he's capable. We just have to wait and see. However last year he wasn't the only offender. Jones was still very green defensively, Howard gambled a lot, Parsons regressed, Lin was awful, etc.

A Bosh trade has POTENTIAL defensively to be top in the league. The coaching will play a factor as you mentioned, and commitment from the players. However if you trade for Melo or even worse Love instead, I can guarantee you now without a major coaching change, this team isn't going to get much better defensively.

11. Vienna Calling

I really don't understand the pessimism around here. Melo would be a huge upgrade for our offense and that is a significant plus. We desparately need a second creator. Right now we only have Harden. Howard, for all his strngths, is inefficient at creating his own offense.

Go Rockers, be happy! :p

12. torocan

torocan Member

I doubt he ends up with the Bulls for a few basic reasons...

1) He makes more money through a S&T with Houston vs going with the Bulls.
    2) Rose's future health is still a big question mark.
    3) Thibodeau is really good, but also known for running down his players through excessive minutes, IE, shortening careers. He's also very demanding on defense and Melo may not be into THAT much defense.
    4) McHale can always be dumped if Melo doesn't want him.
    5) The Knicks first instinct will be to NOT improve a conference rival.
    6) Asik and Lin are expiring, not jeopardizing their 2015 cap space.

Doesn't mean he can't end up with the Bulls, I just think that Houston is the favorite.

13. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Something about leverage and the Lakers signing Melo, Lebron, Bosh and Love.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

For those complaining about Melo's lack of D, he will be ok if he plays PF. Remember we have Tjones there who is no better than Melo at guarding other PF's

OTOH Melo is elite offensively and will make the opposition PF's work every single minute on D wearing them out. If they want to go small to guard Melo at the 4, then just throw the ball down low to Dwight to abuse their undersized 5

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This is the best REALISTIC chance we have to win the title.

Howard is not perfect
    Harden is not perfect
    Melo is not perfect

But each is more than capable of stretches of brilliance on the basketball court.

If Melo is available, you make it happen.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Getting a laugh is enough. Nothing wrong with trying trolling guys that take basketball too seriously.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Hell no to Bosh.

I want hungry players.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Obviously this a dream scenario, a no brainer!

My only worries is how we would navy up defensively. Harden, Melo, and Parsons (if we have him) will all have to step up on that end.

I prefer for Melo to play the 4, while keeping Parsons at 3. Can Melo guard some of the better 4's in the west? Aldridge, Love(?), Griffin, ZBo, Davis...

Not sure Melo can defend those guys, but it's worth the risk!

19. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Ugh...I hate how this is a thing now.

20. howardsucks

howardsucks Member

Rockets will be TEAM U.S.A. if Melo joins them.