1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As a Morey hater, i even think he's doing the right thing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Jul 14, 2014.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yep, even I think he's doing the right thing. I haven't had a lot of complaints lately. I did think not giving Dragic that option year was a mistake and signing Lin,but as a whole, he's done the right thing. I'm a Parsons fan and he's exceeded any and all expectations I had of him,but I wouldn't give him 15m after they got Trevor for half the price. I haven't jumped into the cap,but I think the rox have 9m or so of cap room. That's very,very valuable with some of the teams trying to move players.

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I don't know whether its the time heals all wounds thing or it isn't productive to whine about CP25 perspective. In either case, I'm moving on. I like CP25, my kids liked him, we enjoyed watching Chandler bangs, but I'm a Rockets' fan.

That doesn't mean I can't watch a Mavs game (yuck) every now and then to see how he's doing. Hell, I watched Nuggets games to see how Brooksie was doing.

But, I'm moving on. Warming up to Trevor being back and not the #1 guy. I hope we add some more talent, because I want us to compete hard this year. I don't want to wait for maybe a Love in '15 or Durant in '16. I want to win a f***ing championship this year!

So right or wrong, I moving out smartly and forgetting the ups/downs of last week. GO ROCKETS!!!

3. MD_in_Training

100% agree Lee. And also, not picking up his team option wouldn't have mattered in the long run since Bosh didn't sign. We weren't gonna win a championship this year anyways, and Parsons would have been gone next year.

4. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

I wish I was dead

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

I agree with Morey with not matching Dallas' offer, but we're forgetting something.

Morey made him a Free Agent one year early.

We had him for 900 thousand dollars next season, and instead we needlessly lost him for nothing. It's a horrid mistake and there's no vouching for Morey for his free agency debacle this year.

6. leebigez

I don't understand some of the thinking by Morey is a lot of cases. I personally don't believe you need the all AAU squad to win the ring. Would it be nice to get Durant? Sure,but let's not act like Durant has led his teams to championships. I mean, howard never played with players as good westbrook,harden,or probably Ibaka. I think if the rockets can get either rondo or dragic via trade and sign okefor,marion,and another vet,they will be on their way to winning a title.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

We just need Harden to step up in the playoffs and all will be well.

8. leebigez

Maybe that was part of the Howard deal as reported. If morey is at fault,it may be whether or not he made an initial offer or not. He's known to let the market set the price which in most cases is the right thing to do. When Gordon got the max,I knew parsons was a goner. At the very least,they're equal. In a real world,parson is a 10-12m per player. I truly believe if he was offered that range,the rockets would've matched. 15m is a little steep.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if Trevor will be the new Lin while Parsons become the new Dragic.

10. trrypoer74

trrypoer74 New Member

I LOVE D. MOREY. SMART, RELENTLESS, HARD WORKING, DARING.I CAN TELL YOU ONE THING D. MOREY IS NEVER SITTING BACK WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS,HE MAKES IT HAPPENS AND ALWAYS IMPROVES THE ROSTER. AND IF WE (THE ROCKETS) DO SUFFER FROM OUR RECENT ROSTER MOVES IT WON'T PROBABLY BE FOR LONG.( PS. HE MAY NOT BE DONE BUILDING THIS ROSTER YET, BUT IN THE MEANTIME IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER TO CRITICIZE OR MAKE LIGHT OF WHAT HE HAS CONSTANTLY SUCCEDED IN ACHIEVING HERE IN HOUSTON WHICH IS TO PUT TOGETHER A WINNING TEAM THE HARD WAYS YEAR AFTER YEAR THEN GO AHEAD AND CATCH YOU LATER ON THE BAND WAGON....LOL :)

1 person likes this.
  11. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Then Parsons would have been unrestricted next year.

I don't think Morey was expecting Parsons to get such a big deal this summer. Both moves were the right call. Plus, Parsons is a easy piece to replace. He wasn't an All-Star or anything.

12. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Morey didn't F-up by not matching Parson's offer. He F-uped BIGTIME by not picking up his cheap 4th year player option. Easily the biggest mistake of his career, and there was absolutely no justification for it.

Lock up an up and coming young player for <$1M. - No, I'll pass. WTF??? :confused:

Good riddance to Lin.

Asik - meh. He didn't want to be here. Can't complain about a 1st round pick for him.

Ariza - Not a bad signing. I guess I still images of him the first go around here. Hopefully he's improved since then.

My biggest concern is that we now have minimal "assets" as Morey likes to call them to make any big moves. Rondo/Love? Ha, you can forget it. We have nothing to offer.

13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it was a gamble. he saw parsons as the 4th piece of the puzzle and that a lineup of harden/howard/parsons + lebron/nowitzki/bosh/carmelo could possibly win titles for 2-3 years.

Morey thought parsons was valuable, albeit not the 3rd best player on the roster. but without any of the "stars" coming to houston we had no choice but let parsons walk.... in moreys own words, it would havemortgaged the future.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It will be the other way around.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This. Parsons getting out early may have been the result a powerful agent flexing his muscles in the Howard deal. At any rate Ariza at $8mil > Parsons @ $15 mil.

16. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

I think too many people have the wrong complaints, really.

Everything would have lined up for us the right way if Bosh had said yes, as we had every indication he would do.

There would be no more "flexibility in the future" in mind, we'd have all of the correct pieces and finally have focused on the squad we had and not trying to find the last big fish.

We would have matched Chandler and locked him and the rest of the starting 5 up for the next several years.

Unfortunately Bosh saying no completely wrenched our capability to finally focus on contention now, but that's not Morey's fault.

17. do work son

do work son Member

we did it to keep him restricted. the goal was to sign a star, which we were before bosh walked away last second, then match parsons. can't really help that the mavericks offered him a huge deal. it was a calculated move, and it didn't work. you can't win all of them.

and i'm far from a morey apologist for what it's worth. i'm the first to bring back up that if it weren't for "basketball reasons" we'd have pau and nene.

18. ribbit

ribbit Member

Hindsight is 20/20. If DM knew that Parsons is going to get that kind of offer, I'm sure he would have hold on to him for 1 more year.

What DM probably thought by letting him test the market is that, at least this year, he have the ability to match whatever offer given to Parsons. He would have matched that huge contract if Bosh signed with the Rockets.

That said, Bosh and Cuban are both a**h***s!

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Lee, I'm in the camp of build your team. Maybe a BIG 3 has proven to be the most successful in winning a championship, but I'm not convinced that's the only way.

SA's Big 3 (Duncan, Parker and Gino) aren't exactly spring chickens and really only Duncan was a superstar. Parker is a fantastic PG and Manu has been a great 3rd option and 6th man.

In fact, if you look at Manu's stats, I think Parsons could have a similar career. The big difference here seems to be in SA's philosophy. Duncan (17 years), Parker (13 years) and Manu (12 years) with the same team. Talking about building chemistry, teamwork, fan base, etc. I think SA has found a formula that works.

Is that what we should do? I'm not sure, but I don't think we can with Morey. We'll either live by finding that 3rd star or never be quite good enough to get over the hump. We were close this summer, really close to our own potential little dynasty. Maybe we'll get another chance, Morey pulled miracles with the Harden and Howard acquisitions. I won't bet against him finding that magical third star from somebody.

20. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If the rumors of Fegan making Morey do it in order to sign Howard are true, then Morey didn't have a choice. It's clear that Fegan wanted Parsons' contract to have the same player option as Howard's. I think that shows the rumors are true.

If anything, it was a calculated risk. By declining his option, Morey put himself in a position to match Parsons; something Morey wouldn't have the option if he let Parsons go into UFA.

But then, I don't think any suspected Parsons to get a max contract. Teams value cap space so much that using almost 1/4 of the cap on an above average role player is stupid. It was a desperate move by Dallas. I'm sure if the contract was 10-12 million and friendlier (no trade kicker or player option), Houston would have matched.

Parsons is nothing more than a good role player. He isn't a superstar talent and this is coming from a person who loved Parsons from the get go as a Rockets player. He already takes the most efficient shots basketball at a moderate usage so his numbers shouldn't peak all that much, if any.

I expect Parsons to have averages of 16/6/4 on 50/38/75 shooting. Which were his numbers here. Does that warrant a 1500% raise and a practically untradeable contract. No.