1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Article] Do coaches matter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, May 3, 2014.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

I came across this article while i was looking for a Daryl Morey quote from last year i believe where he said something along the lines that coaches don't actually have a major affect in wins & losses. I wanna say he had some sort of formula for this? Does anyone remember or have that quote?

Not sure if this has been posted here before and even though it's a year old it's a good article and definitely relevant with this boards current mood.

http://www.clipsnation.com/2013/8/23/4651512/do-coaches-matter-doc-rivers-clippers-expected-wins-pythagorean-expectation#comments

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

That last play by the Blazers, shows how important coaching is.

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Doesn't Morey coach the team? Great point Morey:roll eyes:

4. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

ask michael jordan and kobe bryant how it was like before phil jackson.
    ask hakeem before he had rudy t.
    ask shaq if he would have rings without phil jackson or pat riley coaching him.

karl malone and john stockton, probably one of the greatest duos of all time, were stuck with the same coach for years and ended their careers with zero championships.

a case can be made about coaching and players but at the college level where players changing every year doesn't seem to matter for the kryzewskis, dean smiths, rick pitinos, and john caliparis... they just somehow make it deep in march madness.

yea.. coaching doesn't matter.

5. ThaShark316_28

Going far back in the way back machine with your examples. Yeah, you are spot on, but too many crap coaches are winning these days. Talent is prevailing over great coaching. I witnessed an NBA Finals with Scott Brooks vs. Erik Spoelstra. I've witnessed Spoelstra beat Gregg Popovich in the NBA FINALS. Great coaching helps a good deal, but I'm so "ehh" on it these days.

Just when I start to think coaching wins, the Heat win 2 titles with a dude who runs little to nothing on O.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Coaching matters BIG TIME in the playoffs.

To say otherwise is stupidity.

Game plan and preparation
    Game by game adjustments
    On the fly adjustments during each game
    Player time management with a short 8 man rotation
    Working the refs
    X & Os
    Working the players psychologically
    Team discipline
    Team morale and stability

A coach is responsible for all of the above and more.

#6 Zboy, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Kelvin Sampson

8. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Have you actually considered Spoelstra is a solid coach? He is underrated to be honest.

He's definitely better than Scott Brooks, that's for sure.

9. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

bad coaching does matters. rockets is the worst team after timeout.
    [​IMG]

10. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Dude, Spoelstra is a good coach

Look at the Heat's blitz defense, which was unstoppable for 2 years and masked how small they were. On top of that managing the egos of 3 superstars while other coaches get run of town by one (SVG, D'Antoni) or let their star do whatever he wants (McHale)

1 person likes this.
  11. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

#1 is Steve Clifford (#4 candidate for CoTY in his first year, worked under both JVG,SVG)
    Pop near the top at #2 (CoTY)

...and we're at the bottom

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

MOTHER****ER