1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article by Will on Slate.com

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JVoss, Oct 5, 2000.

Tags:
  1. JVoss

JVoss Member

Excellent Editorial Will ... as usual!

The First Debate: Man vs. Machine
    By William Saletan

<a href="http://slate.msn.com/framegame/entries/00-10-04_90849.asp" target="_new">http://slate.msn.com/framegame/entries/00-10-04_90849.asp</a>

------------------
    "You ^WILL Love this game." -- NBA

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Just another example of the liberal media leading unsuspecting voters down the path to immorality.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Cheerleaders are just dancers who've gone r****ded.

visit www.swirve.com

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Great read!

I thought Gore was a little soft on Bush. Just how exactly is someone who attacks the other side's credibility and character, and then laughs at him for being phony, fuzzy, and inventive (i.e., internet, calculator reference) going to encourage bi-partisanship? Is this the "changing the tone in Washington" Bush has been referring to? I thought Gore should have blasted him on this (could have brought up the Bush comments about McCain too) rather than tossing the soft balls he did (he didn't let it slide entirely, but was fairly gentle in calling Bush on it).

Further, if I were Gore I might have pointed out to GW that neither Clinton and his daddy nor Clinton versus Dole nor Gore versus Qualye or Kemp threw out the personal attacks and mocking statement the way GWB has gone after McCain and now himself during supposedly civil debates. (Let's see how Bush reacts when he looks disfavorable related to both his father and the guy he hates most of all, BC). Then Gore could have added, you should be ashamed of yourself, and I will not attack your personally that way. (though I recognize the last part could be to sanctimonious, it would drive the point)

And, if he want's to further get under GW's skin on top of the ill GB senior/BC comparison, he could add, "I will not attack your character George W.... I will instead be like John McCain and take the high horse on the low road".

Overall, in my mind Gore won by a little, when he could have one by a few touchdowns. Maybe Gore figures this is all he needs to do (small wins) and doesn't want to risk it getting too bloody because it could rub off on both of them. Still, if it were me I would have pricked GWB just a little bit more than Gore did.

[This message has been edited by Desert Scar (edited October 05, 2000).]