1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article: Astros show interest in Garciaparra

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DVauthrin, Dec 13, 2005.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5163848

Personally, I like this option a lot more than the trade possibilities. The reason is the bidding for Nomar hasn't gotten out of hand(his best offers are in the one year 4 million plus incentives range, and perhaps he would get a similar type of 2 year deal) and you keep the team intact. As of right now, this seems to be a gamble worth taking in my opinion because nomar is willing to move off of SS(we would play him in LF). However, there are a lot of teams interested in him.

Plus, and I had forgotten about this, Mia Hamm grew up in Texas(this was in an old SI article) and this article says she is from Austin. That could help us in negotiations.

#1 DVauthrin, Dec 13, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  2. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

If we can get him for cheap, I'd be interested. I'd go with an incentive-laden contract. Didn't we do something like that for Vinny Castilla?

I read somewhere that none of the teams after No-mah think he's able to play shortstop anymore. Apparently, he's told teams that he's willing to play anywhere.

I'll try to find the link once I finish this damn paper I'm working on that's due in 2 and a half hours ...

Just curious -- is Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News (the author of this aarticle) usually pretty reliable?

EDIT: Here's the article. It kinds of worries me that the Indians see Nomar as a utility man. Also, there's something in the NY Post about the Yankees wanting Nomar to play 1B. Man, how weird would it be to have what were supposed to be the 3 greatest shortstops of their generation (Jeter/A-Rod/Nomar) in the same infield!

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9087560

Indians add Merloni in hopes of luring Nomar
    Dec. 10, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEVELAND -- Utility infielder Lou Merloni agreed Friday to a minor-league contract with the Cleveland Indians, returning to the team he played for in 2004.

Merloni played in just five games for the Los Angeles Angels last season before tearing ligaments in his right ankle on May 1.

He will have a chance to win a roster spot in spring training, and the versatile 34-year-old may also help the Indians in their pursuit of free agent Nomar Garciaparra. Merloni and Garciaparra were teammates with the Boston Red Sox and remain close friends.

Cleveland is interested in signing Garciaparra, who played last season for the Chicago Cubs. The Indians envision him as a utility role or the club could move him into right field and use Casey Blake as a part-time first baseman, third baseman or outfielder.

The 32-year-old Garciaparra has made it known he's willing to play any position but pitcher and catcher.

In 2004, Merloni batted .289 with four homers and 28 RBI in 71 games for the Indians. He batted .327 against left-handers. A .272 career hitter, Merloni began his career with Boston in 1993. He has 66 homers and 124 RBI in 414 career games.

If Merloni is added to the 40-man roster, he would get a $500,000, one-year contract.

#2 wrath_of_khan, Dec 13, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  3. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

It's worth taking a flyer on. I don't mind giving him around 5 mill a year for 2 years.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

5. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Can one of the incentives be that we dont pay his sorry ass if he gets injured?????

Dude is seriously injury-prone. Plus I cant stand that annoying hand thing he does before every at bat.... :rolleyes:

eh. I think I would pass.....

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Nomar might be a decent pickup, but it's not going to help the ballclub much. The Cubs obviously didn't think he could play SS, or they wouldn't have put perennial non-hitter Nefi Perez there over him.

Nomar's hitting is still good for a SS. But no longer above average at non-premium defensive positions. Is he better than Lamb at 3rd/1st base? Or better than the Biggio/Burke combo at 2nd? Is he better than Palmeiro as a backup OF? Maybe, maybe not. I don't see him hitting well enough as a corner OF. And he can't play catcher.

7. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I would love to get Nomar. He hits alot better than Adam Everett. With all the defense people say about Adam, he make quite a few erros last year in crucial situations. Anyway, we know we need more offense and all we are doing is just re-signing the no hitting fools we already have. Do something to imptove the team, damn.

8. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I said this weeks ago, sign NOMAR.

I don't care if he's injured for all 162 games , he's STILL better than a healthy everett.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't think the Astros will be signing him to play SS.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

He could play LF.....or he could play 2B and (dont yell)...Bidge could move to LF

11. NJRocket

Yankees are making him an offer....if thats true, we can cross him off the list.

12. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

he said he'd play anywhere except pitcher or catcher. i say sign him up. he could play the OF, SS & 2nd on occasions, and even 1b. if he is cheap and comes close to his career numbers, why not.

13. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

lmao. excelent

14. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

I agree. To have Jeter, Arod, and Garciaparra in the same infield would be a thing of beauty. The next guy would obviously be Tejada. Then the world would be complete.

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Nomar really did well for the Cubs last year didn't he?

Why would we want this guy? We can do better than him.

16. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nomar and Mia actually spend alot of time in Austin. My brother works at GNC out in Westlake and sees Nomar quite often. I don't think it could hurt, but I don't see it being too much of an advantage.

17. NJRocket

Kurkjan said on Sportscenter that he may not want to go to NY....he doesnt necessarily want to play 1B and he wont be assured of playig everyday. He also said that like 5 or 6 teams are in the hunt for him...the Astros being one of them....said we want him to play OF.

18. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

I guess LF? We could sure use Abreu :D

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

We aren't going to give what Philly wants, which is a frontline SP. Sorry, they aren't getting Roy or Andy. Plus, Nomar or Rondell White(who the Astros wined and dined in houston today) and keeping our pitching talent is better than Abreu and trading key pitching away.

20. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

What happened to Normar? Were injuries the cause of his decline?