1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest wants to stay with Houston, with or without Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by QdoubleA, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Ron Artest's agent David Bauman said Yao Ming's condition has not changed his clients desire to return to the Rockets next season.

"Our first choice is to do a deal with Houston, Bauman said. Yao's situation doesn't change that. It has not affected us one way or another.

"He's concerned more for Yao than anything."

Bauman said that he and Artest are confident that if Yao does miss much or all of next season, the Rockets have the depth and roster flexibility to make moves without stepping back to rebuild.

"The beauty of what Daryl (Morey, the Rockets general manager) has done, is the Rockets are not just Yao Ming," Bauman said. "They are Ron. They are Aaron (Brooks). They are Shane (Battier) And they are (Luis) Scola. That's the great thing about this team. They can fire on five or six different cylinders."

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Of course he wants to stay.

He LOVES to play Hero.

He wants the redeem himself to the league and become the face of the Rockets.

I"ll take him back

3. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Depends on how much money he wants.

4. Hmm

Hmm Member

5. Precision340

Precision340 Member

artest is the man.. heart of a warrior... but looking forward we will need to make a move sooner or later.. and rebuild.. no way we contend for the championship this upcoming year.. and very likely yao will not be the same player if he is able to come back and play

6. Rocket Rowdie

Rocket Rowdie Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

If Ric Bucher is telling the truth and Yao is out this season, is resigning Ron worth it? Even if you do make the playoffs, you're gonna be one and done. And do you want 3 more years(speculation by me, maybe its 2 years) with Ron?

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not surprised, the man really believed we could beat the Lakers when Yao went out.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I want Ron back. I'll give him 3 years and maybe like 33M. I think having Ron with the Rockets for 3 years would be a great deal regardless if we are contending. I don't really want to be dog **** either. I know I'm in the minority and probably will be called stupid, but I'm doing for getting Ron back in a Rockets uniform.

Something I posted in another forum:

I'm pretty conservative as too who we should go after.

First of all we have limited money to work with. We have good tradeable assets but will they net us decent talent in return? The one good thing going for this franchise is that Tracy expires this year and Yao expires in two years. If indeed Yao does not play this season then insurance will likely pick up the tab. Same with Tracy, insurance will probably pick up the tab for the few months Tracy doesn't play.

All in all, the Rockets don't need to throw money at someone foolishly for the sake of attempting to contend. We don't need to take on stupid contracts. I think I might be one of the only Rockets fans who is not opposed to bringing Artest back. I don't mind throwing 10 to 12M contract for three years. I know we aren't contending, but for the very least we'll be in the mix playing hard at all times. Plus, I have my hopes that our defense is still going to hold up and it is going to keep us in the hunt for a playoff spot where we could possibly upset somebody (although unlikely).

All in all, we shouldn't give up on our season. We still have an excellent coach and we have good players. The Rockets need to focus on trying to work on our potential wings (Buddinger, Taylor, and White) and hope that one of them will contribute. We need to try to lure Marcin Gortat into our team and at least try to mold him into a long-term starter (in case Yao is unable to come back). Also, we still have Scola who has a decent post game, therefore all is not lost in the half court game.

I must say, I was pretty bummed out yesterday but after being a little bit more optimistic I think we can have a good season. We will probably not compete with the top teams in the West but lets not throw our young guys (Lowry, Brooks, Landry, etc) into an attitude that it is okay to lose to rebuild. Maybe Brooks steps up into a much more consistent scorer (we know he is capable of it). Perhaps Ron Artest will be the number one option we will need to hold us up for the season (he did decent in Sac). Scola will probably provide more scoring for us, we know he is capable of it. Battier will still provide his defensive prowess.

I'm hoping we can turn T-mac's contract into something, but I'm not holding my breath. The only way I want to trade T-mac is if we are getting decent talent and contracts in return, otherwise no reason to overpay talent that just won't cut it for the future (much like the Knicks and Mavericks attempted earlier in the decade).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.