1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Armageddon Is Upon Us.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ChrisP, Jun 20, 2000.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Are you sure that was Bob Costas?!! Hell hath truly frozen over.

Man, would I like to hear more like this from the media. I give the Lakers props for winning (no, really I do (I won't, however, go into how it was made easier by Duncan's injury and Portland's colossal choke)) but I wish there was more fair analysis like this being reported. If it wasn't for all the hype that makes me want to puke, I might actually be able to root for good players and teams.

Shaq is great, but among the best ever? The Lakers are great, but a dynasty? Come on! Maybe in a few years these things will be true but right now it's like saying at the draft several years ago that Harold Miner is better than Robert Horry - speculation. I'm amazed that Costas would make such impartial comments as these.

I especially like to hear Hakeem get his due for dominating the way he did against some great competition.

------------------

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Hmmmmm.....VERY interesting. I guess contradiction can be pretty contradictory sometimes! [​IMG]

I think Costas has muliple personality disorder and suffers from it on a pretty regular basis....so next season they are replacing him with Marv Albert, because everyone knows dressing up in women's underwear and biting a mistress on the back is more acceptable in this century!

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I want to see CostAss' Face When his Boyfriend Kobe gets traded to the Bulls in 2001

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

4. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

That must have been Bizarro Costas.

------------------

5. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Kobystas hears the rumblings of everyday fans...he has to know that the concived thoughts are that he Breathes Lakerball. Its a ploy to fool people now that the season is over....

Dont worry, once the season begins he'll have his usual hard on for Kobe and the gang.

6. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I absolutely swear that I just heard Costas on the radio today saying the following(I am paraphrasing to the best of my ability):

ON THE PHANTOM CALL ON DAVIS

"Not only was it a bad call, but I think it changed the momentum of the game. I think the outcome could of been different if the correct call was made. No way was that a foul. The Pacers were taking all the Lakers were dishing and responded. The Lakers would still have game 7 and I don't think they would of lost. But, to see a game 7 in the NBA and see how teams react to the pressure is what you want to see.

ON SHAQ BEING GREAT

"I don't think there is a doubt about Shaqs greatness. But, to compare him with the other great centers right now is not fair. Is he better than Moses? Maybe. But he is not better than the big three(Chamberlain, Russell, Jabbar) or better than Olajuwon in his heyday. With the exception of Jabbar, those players had rivals to play against. Chamberlain had Russell and Olajuwon had Ewing, Robinson and to a certain extent Shaquille. They measured each other. Shaq doesn't have that right now and maybe in the future he can. But to put him in the top 4 when he is clearly still a liability down the stretch of games is not fair right now."

ON THE LAKER DYNASTY

"What dynasty? This is the first championship. Can they win more? Yes. But, they lack the killer instinct that the great teams of the past have had. If they develop that, they can easily win 4-5 rings before the end of Shaqs career."

Can I tell you that my boss was talking to me while the interview was going on and I don't remember a damn thing he said. I just said OK and hung up the phone. Thats how much in shock I was to hear Costas talk that way.

The End of Days is near. I am almost sure.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

7. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

In defense of Costas . . .

*pauses for a moment in shock that I used the previous phrase*

Even though he can be an @$$-kissing and often lame announcer, he usually does give good insightful interviews to reporters and talk-show hosts.

I figure there must be something they release through air-vents near the broadcasters' booth that make the announcers especially giddy about big-market teams and prone to saying really stupid things seemingly right out of the blue. . . hey, that idea's no lamer than a lot of the other conspiracy theories I've heard on this BBS in the last month or 2 [​IMG]

------------------

8. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I liked Costas when he was the moderator (Hanna Storm's role). I thought at the time he was fair, insightful, and always bringing up the tough questions.

Yes, I do feel that he kisses up to MJ2's ass, but he is not a 100% homer (in this case for the Lakers & MJ2) like others. He do occasionally rip players like MJ2 & Shaq. This is not the first time I've heard him say Shaq is not a complete player (ie. one of the all time greats) until he makes FT in the clutch.

I would love to see Costas get his role back as the moderator. I really don't like H. Storm with her smirk, it reminds me so much of Jackass. And why does she always lean on her right side, does she know how to sit straight?

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And speaking of Hanna Storm. Didn't she get her start in radio at KLOL 101 in Houston in the 80's. If I remember correctly (and I might not be, the 80s were pretty much a blur for me) but she was a DJ, and a pretty good one at that.

Anyone know how she got her break to TV?

------------------

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Give MC Mark a cigar!!!!!!!

You are correct, but I do not remember her as a DJ. She did, however, do the morning drivetime sports everyday on KLOL during the early 1980s. I do not know how she moved into TV.

------------------
    Bring It!!

11. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I think Hannah's first TV gig after doing drivetime with Moby (remember him?) was on Channel 20 during Rockets broadcasts. NBC picked her up after that, I think.

If my memory is wrong on this one, feel free to correct me ...

------------------

12. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Hannah got her NBA TV role after spending five long, painful years as David Stern's "hoochie". Give the gal a break.

------------------

13. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Must be.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS