1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza Should Have Handed Off to Harden at 3.7 Seconds to Go in 4th

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RestHarden, Mar 10, 2018.

1. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

Ok, so I would just like to make a note that when there were 3.7 seconds left on the clock in today's game, Ariza easily had the chance to hand off to Harden but for some reason chose not to.

There are a few important points that the team needs to note about this.

I actually have an image of the situation I'm talking about, but this doesn't let me upload it.

Anyway, the first important point to note is that we (the Houston Rockets) are very bad at these clutch inbounds plays. I don't know what it is, but it's like we just have no idea what we're doing. This is constant and needs addressing by the coaches. They need to do a better job.

Ok, secondly, this team needs to realize that Harden is just one strange unorthodox human being and instead of disliking his flaws, understand how his body operates, and make sure you play to his strengths. That's the only way this team will win. For example, it looks like he plays bad defense, but there are lots of things he does defensively that are very good. There are just other things, like lateral movement, that he is very bad. So you have to smartly think how to best help him both offensively and defensively.

This last play with 3.7 seconds left on the clock, Ariza obviously saw Harden but felt there wasn't enough space. But that's typical of Harden, he doesn't move to create much space on inbounds plays. He just kind of stands there. I don't think you can change that about him. Instead, you need to work better with him. Just pass him the ball. He would have then made his space with the ball in his hands.

But someone made a point of Harden not even crossing the halfcourt line when there were about 30 seconds left to go in the game. Harden really let his team down. He was obviously tired. But then why is he playing 34 minutes a game? It still falls back on the coaching. I've been staring at it for weeks -- why on earth is he playing 34 minutes every game for if he can't compete in an important game? We've been cruising through teams. Completely unnecessary.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Stop complaining about Harden and move on from this game, he got you 40 points this game and if it wasn't for him, this could have been ended by a blowout. we can't win them all.

xiki, killahflip and Lawlruschang like this.
  3. riko

riko Member

Blaming Harden for the Middle East problems as well. Everything seems to be his fault.

rocketman84 and xiki like this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's Harden's fault some people ordered Heinekens but got Budweisers.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden let his team down? Smh, where do y’all come up with this sh*t?

Can’t compete? Lmao, he’s the main reason we came back in this game.

nonsense thread...

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

This thread = fail

7. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

Nothing in this post blames Harden.

Imbeciles!

This thread is for the team, not for imbecile low IQ fans.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Harden gives the beer a beard like flavor.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We just played Tuesday in OKC... flew to Millwuakee to play a 7:30 ET game with probably no real sleep. Had one day of rest to travel and play in toronto on Friday. We were scheduled to lose one. I am more concerned with D'antoni's last play. It looked similar as to what he ran for the Allstar game. Very interesting play but it seems like it needs practice. I hope going forward if D'antoni is going to run an a play like that it isn't something that these guys have yet to practice.... plus isn't that a play you run for a guy who is a dead eye shooter from that distance like EG? That was like a shot from Half Court.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The emotions take over after a loss, matter if it's a tough loss or an embarrassing one, I get everyone's sentiment.

Each one of us has an angle of what went wrong, we try to get thru those remaining 17 games.

Carry on posting.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

That whole last play was a huge fail, it was almost a 5 second violation, almost turned the ball over and none of the guys really got any separation. Credit the Raptors defense and yes, Ariza should've passed sooner since there's no way he could've gotten enough separation for a 3pt shot, but since he passed it off anyway it was kind of silly. He should've either went for himself - that way Harden might have gotten pissed and Ariza could've told him to get his ass open if he wants the ball - or just passed it off right away.

12. Nivos

Nivos Member

I agree that we need to do a better job on inbound plays, and that Harden needs to do a better job to create space.
    Harden was huge on the last mintues, on both sides of the floor.
    On the play that you mentioned, 15 sec to go, Paul and Capela screwd it up. Shouldve been a layup or dunk.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

There is a game thread.......

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

despite so many great shooters, and not just ordinary shooters, these are some of the rangiest dudes in the universe, despite an elite lob threat and despite 2 elite isolation players who are btw amongst highest iq players and despite ELITE offensive coach, it seems to me( i am not claiming this is the case) we are the terriblest last second shot team i have ever seen in my life

i feel so many teams, even tanking ones, always have a decent chance to score even with couple of of seconds left...somehow they are a threat and often manage to get a decent shot even if not scoring...while we almost a never have chance to score on the last play even if its a 10 seconds play...its often an impossible heave, hail marry and usually we don't even get to get shot up...worse yet we sometimes dont succeed at inbounding the ball

it could be because harden is not good at creating a quick separation or is always tired at the end...perhaps harden should sit in these situations ...if we sit him we never lose that celtics game

or its just a nature of todays game that you just need a damian lillard type guy to score in the last second a single guy who is good at off ball moving and cutting or who is fast with his dribble and has a long range

15. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

The previous inbounds play for Eric v Gordon a 3 pointer.

They have very good defenders in that team even in the second unit. Their entire roster is filled with two way players

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

"...if he can't compete in an important game."

Are you serious, right now? He carried this team to a 3 point loss against the East's best team, Carried because the rest of his team didn't bother to show up. 15-22 from the field, 4-8 from 3. Barely got any of his points from FTs.

For all intents and purposes, Harden seemed to be the only one who competed, last night.

Patience likes this.
  17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Well Harden bumped knees and was taken out which could explain his low minutes. Despite that he balled out.
    I'm more upset with the CP3 drive and hand off to Clint. Paul has sooo much space for his midrange jumper that he should've just shot it since that is his shot. Or he should've tried laying it in. Or Capela should've not rushed it with Jonas right in front of him. Fake him out or something.

Patience and Stormy1234 like this.