1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arian Foster - How long will he remain elite?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Sep 22, 2013.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I went through the Earl Campbell years and by the time they traded him he was no longer the same back.

I see a lot of similar things happening with Foster, no longer hitting the hole quickly, going out of bounds instead of fighting for those yards.

At what point do you as a team recognize that he is starting to decline and try to get something for him?

I think he is still an excellent back - no doubt, and may be protecting himself for later in the year, but at some point you have to let the younger more aggressive players take over.

RB's only play like 2-3 years on average, and rarely do they have much success after 6ish years.....

Do you guys think we should think about letting him go after this year and signing Tate or at least drafting another one early?

DD

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

3 more years.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think he has 1 more year left after this one

4. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I think he is already done.

5. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

foster is special. tate is not. I would not be so quick to want to get rid of him. he is a prima donna and I understand that is part of the reason people are looking to get something before its "too late". he doesn't rely on his speed that much, he has uncanny vision and elusiveness and he hasn't been bad this season. I bet he has a big game today

6. platypus

platypus Member

From what i have seen Arian has NOT lost a step. He still has that explosion and the elusiveness is still there.

His struggles can be contributed to not playing in the preseason. To think he would just come in without snaps played and do well is simply idiotic.

And comparing Earl Campbell and Arian Foster is not accurate. Earl was a physical back who dealt as much damage as he received. Arian is a one cut elusive runner who doesn't take the pounding of a normal bruising back.

I expect arian to play 2-3 more seasons at his best and then decline gracefully into a full time red-zone back.

7. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Foster hasn't been elite since his rookie year. So, probably never.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He peaked two years ago and the downhill slide will continue.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not even sure you can say he's elite right now....

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

He's not elite. He still does some things extremely well, like being a good goal line back and doesn't really lose yardage. But overall if you put him on the FA market today, he'll get at most half of what Texans gave him last year.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because he's not.

When was the last time he broke off a TD run longer than 30 yards?

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

I must be crazy, I thought he looked exceptional today.

I also think the rotating in of Tate is ruining the rhythm of the offense. I'm also shocked that Tate is suddenly the 3rd down back. Kind of thought Arian was as good as there is at that (yes, I know, I know...he "dropped" 2 passes in the opener).

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep, 4.5 yards per carry but they had to abandon the running game.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

after this season, i'm not so sure. I'd rather keep tate than foster, less mileage and similar production.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think he's still very good, just doesn't get many open field opportunities anymore like he used to. We've taken a huge step down from the run blocking we had with Winston, Brisiel, and even Joel Dreessen as a stellar blocking TE.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

tate is stepping up in a contract year but in the last couple of seasons he's been bad to ordinary.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You also have to take into account offensive line when considering "elite" running back status.

Our line has regressed for the most part when since Arian's first true season as a starter and his second.

Duane Brown was sorely missed this past game and I'll give Arian the benefit of the doubt that he simply can't get into any sort of rhythm when alternating series'/carries the way he and Tate have this season.

The extra rest will help keep the ware and tear down on his body but I don't think it's helping his effectiveness one bit.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Its starting to looking Foster was always just good to very good and never truly elite. And his 1 great elite year was an exception and not the rule. Meaning its not entirely work load bringing him down, its this is his real talent level and approach

Adrian Peterson is older, more injured and more work load, and still a game breaker. There's other backs who have productive years age 27-28. ( Earl Campbell was just a plain bruiser battering ram from high school to retirement, break down was inevitable. )

So yes Foster is overpaid to me. And it looks like every-down elite back is a dying breed anyway.

#18 Shroopy2, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sure the O-line isn't as good but what happened to the Arian Foster that made people miss? In addition to going down easier, his ability to change direction has declined significantly. This is why he no longer breaks off good runs unless the blocking is perfect and why he is tackled for losses more often.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Foster never really takes direct hits so he should not be losing a step like Campbell did. I think what he has lost is motivation and drive after getting the big contract. He's no longer fighting for those extra yards and this season and the last he has been very mediocre.

Tate is going to be gone next season because we cant afford to pay both him and Foster. If I were the Texans I would look at drafting another RB in the 2nd or 3rd round next season.