1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arenas suspended indefinitely

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by eveluvsrox, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Classic

Classic Member

Agreed.

2. thumps

thumps Contributing Member

As compared to what other NBA commish? Stern's been commissioner for a looong time. I think that these incidents are more the result of his lengthy tenure and changes in society than any specific loss of power for Stern.

The worst on-the-court incident in terms of player-on-player violence is still Kermit Washington hitting Rudy T, and that happened in '77, before Stern.

That being said, I do agree that Stern deliberated too much and should have imposed the suspension sooner. I think Stern is wary of rushing to judgment as Arenas is perceived as a likable player by most fans.

It wouldn't surprise me if the incidents you mentioned will be used as leverage in the CBA negotiation to create tougher punishments and give more power to impose them to the commish.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12080/the-potential-arenas-impact-on-all-contracts

The potential Arenas impact on ALL contracts
    January, 6, 2010 Jan 69:43PM ETEmail Print Share By J.A. Adande

The consensus from both members of the Washington Wizards organization and the NBA office is that actually voiding the remainder of Gilbert Arenas' contract for his violation of league rules by bringing guns into the locker room is unlikely unless he is convicted of a felony. That is one of the actions that can automatically terminate a contract. Short of that, the Wizards would be forced to invoke the "moral turpitude" clause, which can be difficult to define. The thinking is that if Latrell Sprewell and Ron Artest could have their contracts remain intact after choking a coach and fighting in the stands, respectively, Arenas could not be cut loose for an act in which no one was physically harmed. Perhaps Arenas' antics have strengthened the resolve of Stern to at least give it a try.

But even if Arenas avoids the most drastic punishment this time, it's possible it could rally owners to push for stronger language in collective bargaining negotiations next year. They could make it easier to void contracts. Perhaps they even attempt to go after NBA players' greatest asset: fully guaranteed contracts. As one team executive said: "Thats the first thing I thought of when this thing happened." Make no mistake, the owners are mad. One called the Arenas situation "ridiculous."

Could they be angry enough to put the most sacred covenant in the league on the bargaining table? We'll see if they sustain their current emotions.Tags:Contributors, J.A. Adande

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010605167_3.html

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

wow...crittenton! wonder what his punishment is going to be if that account is true

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Not that Crittenton had a bright future in the first place but his career could be over if true.

7. Arvid

Arvid Member

At the beginning of the season, I really wished that the Wizards and Arenas would come back to its successful old self. However, I am really disapointed at Arenas now! Pulling gun at your teammate and even making light of it during a pregame huddle? This is how you try acting like the leader on the team, Gilbert? Stupidity personified!

Nowadays, NBA players, especially some "superstars" spoiled with guaranteed contracts, don't know how important it is to stay humble and hugry.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here is more detail: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/06/AR2010010605167_pf.html. Gilbert now acknowledges what he did was very wrong. Doesn't look good for him.

Wizards' Arenas suspended indefinitely as new details emerge in gun incident

By Mike Wise
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, January 7, 2010; A01

National Basketball Association Commissioner David Stern suspended Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas indefinitely without pay Wednesday, saying a gun incident in the Wizards' locker room last month and Arenas's behavior since had led him to conclude "that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game."

Stern's action, announced in a scathing statement issued from his office in New York, cast into doubt the future career of one of Washington's most colorful athletes who once delighted fans with his all-star play but has been seeking to regain his form this year after missing most of the past two seasons with a knee injury.

It also came as new details emerged about the locker-room confrontation between Arenas and Javaris Crittenton, a Wizards teammate, on Dec. 21 that suggest a potentially far more volatile incident than was originally reported by Arenas to team officials.

The two players had been arguing during a card game on the Wizards' flight back from Phoenix Dec. 19, and the dispute spilled into the team locker room at Verizon Center before practice two days later. Arenas has acknowledged bringing his handguns to the arena and displaying them in the locker room that morning in what he maintained was a playful gesture aimed at his teammate.

According to two first-hand accounts of the confrontation, Crittenton responded to Arenas's action -- which included laying the four unloaded weapons in Crittenton's cubicle with a note that read, "Pick One" -- by brandishing his own firearm, loading the gun and chambering a round.

Two of the five people in the room that morning, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Arenas had originally not disclosed Crittenton's action to protect the little-used guard from prosecution and had told Crittenton he would assume full responsibility for the actions of both players that day.

In a two-hour interview with police and federal prosecutors Monday, Arenas, in his version of the story, spoke of Crittenton's loaded gun, a person with knowledge of Arenas's testimony said.

Mark Bartlestein, Crittenton's agent, declined to comment. Crittenton, in a series of text messages responding to a request for comment, said the account provided by the witnesses was "false."

"I have done nothing wrong. Let the investigation process take its course and you will see that," he said. "My name is dying in this situation."

Crittenton has been injured all season and has yet to play in a game. Arenas signed a six-year, $111 million contract in July 2008, $80 million of which remains after this season.

Neither the NBA nor the Wizards would comment Wednesday on the depth of Crittenton's involvement. But officials from both the team and the league, speaking on condition of anonymity, said they had heard the version of the story told by people who witnessed the altercation.

"We still don't know all the details yet," a senior Wizards official said. "That's just one version of the story we heard."

A source familiar with Monday's meeting between Arenas and police and prosecutors said that prosecutors agreed to only use Arenas's statements as part of their investigation, not as direct evidence to be presented to the grand jury or to be used during a trial or hearing. Also, Arenas told prosecutors Monday that he would be willing to meet with them again or appear before a grand jury in the coming days if they requested.

Prosecutors began presenting evidence to a D.C. Superior Court grand jury in the case Tuesday. The case is still being investigated by the police and the league, which has yet to interview all players involved. D.C. police declined to comment.
    A 'respected' decision

Arenas, reached by telephone in his Cleveland hotel room, where he watched the Wizards lose to the Cavaliers on Wednesday night, said he "respected" Stern's decision to suspend him.

"He is the same man who put me on my second all-star team after I got snubbed by the coaches," Arenas added. "That decision came down for me. He made a tougher decision today that went against me. And I have to accept it."

In his statement, Stern held out the prospect of a prolonged suspension for Arenas, who turned 28 Wednesday.

"The possession of firearms by an NBA player in an NBA arena is a matter of the utmost concern to us," Stern said. "Although it is clear that the actions of Mr. Arenas will ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse, his ongoing conduct has led me to conclude that he is not currently fit to take the court in an NBA game."

Stern, who originally had said through the league that he would wait until the police investigation concluded before taking action, decided to act after Arenas playfully formed his hands into pistols and pretended he was shooting his teammates as the Wizards huddled courtside before their game against the 76ers in Philadelphia on Tuesday night.

The Wizards issued a statement supporting the commissioner's move. "Strictly legal issues aside, Gilbert's recent behavior and statements, including his actions and statements last night in Philadelphia, are unacceptable," said the team's statement, which was signed by team President Ernie Grunfeld; Irene Pollin, the widow of late owner Abe Pollin; and their two sons. "Some of our other players appeared to find Gilbert's behavior in Philadelphia amusing. This is also unacceptable."

Arenas has maintained that he brought the four guns to Verizon Center and put them in a locked container to get them out of his Virginia home following the birth of his third child Dec. 9. They were taken by arena security after the incident.

Crittenton's gun, according to the witnesses of the altercation, was never found. Both witness accounts said they were unclear how the gun was disposed of.

Preston Burton, a defense attorney and former assistant U.S. attorney in the District, said it would be difficult to build a criminal case against Crittenton based on the scenario described by the witnesses. He said prosecutors would look at factors, including whether they could prove Crittenton had a weapon, and whether the gun was real.

"It's going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to make a case without a gun," Burton said.
    'Not the hoodlum'

In the telephone interview, Arenas hoped he could soon meet with Stern.

"That's not so I can ask him to reinstate me right now," Arenas said. "I just want to remind him of who I am. I'm the kid who jumped off the trampoline at the all-star game, the kid who throws his jersey to people in the stands. I'm not the hoodlum that's being written and talked about right now.

"I'm sorry for my teammates, the city of Washington, the memory of Mr. Pollin and his family, and all my fans that support me and the game of basketball. I mean that. This shouldn't have happened. It shouldn't have got this far. I know that."

The dispute between Arenas and Crittenton began on the team plane during a popular card game between players called "Boo-ray." Crittenton lost roughly $1,100 to JaVale McGee, a Wizards center, in the game, according to a player who watched the game and who also spoke on condition of anonymity. Crittenton, already angry over a dispute over the game's rules, became irate when Arenas began needling him.

Their barbs escalated to a point where Arenas, smiling, said he would blow up Crittenton's car, according to two players on the flight, who requested anonymity. Crittenton replied that he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee.

Walking into the locker room two days after the dispute on the team plane, according to two witnesses, Arenas laid out the guns in Crittenton's locker. Two other teammates eventually sauntered in and, while Arenas was writing the note in front of Crittenton's cubicle, in walked Crittenton, according to their account.

Asking Arenas what he was doing, Arenas replied, "If you want to shoot me, I'd just thought I'd make it easy for you." As other teammates laughed, Crittenton crumpled up the paper, tossed one of Arenas's guns across the room, where it bounced in front of a team trainer, and said he didn't need any of Arenas's firearms because he had his own, according to the witness accounts.

Crittenton then drew his weapon, loaded it and chambered a round, the witnesses said.

Neither witness said the gun was ever pointed at Arenas, but both said Crittenton began singing as he held the gun.

Arenas began laughing, the witnesses said, telling Crittenton, "Look at that little shiny gun," as two other players slowly retreated to the training room.

Arenas eventually followed. By the time the players came back out, Crittenton was gone.

It was unclear Wednesday when Arenas's suspension might be lifted.

An NBA official said equating Arenas's indefinite suspension as a precursor to a lifetime ban for Arenas would not be accurate, especially given the fact that Arenas has yet to be charged in the case.

Arenas, who was told by his attorneys not to comment directly on the details of the case, said, "I'm sorry for what happened and how people took that."

"The gun charge, I'm taking serious," he said in the interview. "The media painting a picture of me, casting me as someone I'm not, that's what I reacted to. I'm reacting to what people are saying about me not the seriousness of the situation."

Staff writers Maria Glod, Keith L. Alexander and Michael Lee in Cleveland contributed to this report.

9. Avicenna76

Avicenna76 Member

Used to like him... but he's digging his own grave with the stupid antics.

[​IMG]

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Gilbert is not a bad guy. Just a prankster that took it way over the line. Crittendon, on the other hand, is going to walk away from this incident and he probably needs to be suspended more than Gilbert. However, Gilbert's stupidity should earn him a suspension for the rest of the season. Stern has no choice but to come down like a ton of bricks against guns in the NBA.

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

I keep misreading this thread title as "Ariza suspended indefinitely."

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I feel bad for Arenas but IMO he is done with WIzards and other teams will be scared to add him.

1) He is injury prone
    2) He will be now known as a bad person and bad teammate

Really bad situation to be in.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Teams won't be scared to add him once this whole fiasco is over with. There will always be a place in this league for players with his talent. His body looks decent in his comeback, plus outside of this whole boneheaded gun incident, he's overall a great guy that's absolutely fanatical about basketball. People will just have to learn to get over this incomprehensible and very pricey brain fart.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

God I hope so. That stupidity is just as damaging to the league as the piss-poor in-game bias known as "officiating".

Man... the NBA is just painfully unwatchable.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Some people think Stern is going to permanently ban Gilbert from any association with the NBA.

16. Christopher

Christopher Member

I thought he should have been suspended days ago. The last thing the NBA wants to even hint at is that its either ok to take guns into the locker room or on team planes, or that other players are doing it.

They needed to smash him with a fine and a suspension.

As for Arenas himself....I put him in the TMac category of players. On the off chance they are actually fit to play, their stats look great but you won't be seeing them take any team on a decent playoff run.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I doubt he'll go that far. The Brawl in Detroit was 1,000x worse than this since it happened behind closed doors and seemingly revolves around a joke gone too far. My prediction is he'll be done for the season. And for the Wizards' sakes, I hope they can find a loophole to get that contract voided, shredded up and chucked into the ocean.

18. sbyang

sbyang Member

Arenas needs to sue the hell out of the NY post for their crappy reporting.

The story the NY post broke and the latest stories portray Arenas very differently. The latest stories still make Arenas look bad, but it's more 'wow is he an immature dumbass' than 'thug threatening teammate and endangering coworkers'.

19. Christopher

Christopher Member

If someone pulls out a gun at your workplace.....do care which of these two categories they are in?

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

as far as i can see arenas brought unloaded guns to the lockerroom and left them in his teammate's cubicle as a joke.

he never pointed them at anyone or threatened to point them at anyone.

then he played bangbang with his fingers in the pre-game team huddle, not unlike barkley did to webber during the game he lit him up for 56.

i never liked arenas as a player and never cared much for his goofy antics off the court. but it's obvious that his unwanted contract is the catalyst for all the hoopla surrounding this practical joke. if this was bronbron, the whole scenario would have been a 'getting to know the funny side of King James' segment on SportsCenter.

1 person likes this.