1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you supposed to tip at airport lounges

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wizkid83, Mar 12, 2018.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I do, they have to bag the food. Usually a buck for me.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

So do fast food drive thrus. Do you tip them?

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

so do you tip a buck every time, at a drive through for fast food or go inside. "the have to bag the food" is the reason you're stating

4. wizkid83

No

5. wizkid83

Let me clarify, if the restaurant hires people that pack food as an assembly line/people specifically paid hourly to pack food (McD, Chipotle, Starbucks, Tapioca places), I don't tip. Places where there is a wait staff that works on tips that packs my food. I tip.

heypartner and tmoney1101 like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

then your reason you posted doesn't make much sense

7. wizkid83

Read my post above

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Recently the international lounges I have been to don't have people working the bar. They just have bottles of liquor out on the bar with Ice and mixers so no need for me to tip at that point. Unless I'm tipping myself.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes. There are no "what about" scenarios. You get a receipt, it has a place for a tip, you tip. They bag it, put condiments in there, utensils, etc. especially tip when local/small biz.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You're too cheap to be flying

Take the greyhound

11. wizkid83

Greyhound doesn't meet my efficiency needs.

12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Please do your drinking and eating at home then.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  13. tmoney1101

You should tip at least 10 percent on a to go order.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Tipping has gotten so ridiculous. Include it in the price.

Ive started tipping based on experience more than expectation. If I get a to go order at a chain restaurant, I probably wont leave a tip. If its a mom and pop restaurant and good food, ill leave a tip.

The begging culture is getting ridiculous. I find it equally as annoying when there is always some group sitting in front of the grocery store panhandling for money. If it was on the poorer side of town, I get it. But its always worse on the nicer sides of town.

donkeypunch likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

I usually tip 20% at least for almost everythingnbut this is just a no go for me. We live in a tip-happy society and condition the service industry to expect something for what they are supposed to do. Its their job. There was no checking on if I had enough napkins in the bag, there was no refilling of ketchup or refreshment if I needed it. 10% to me is absurd for somebody putting a container in a bag that they had to take 2 steps to get from behind the counter.

Im not trying to rant but thats like saying, "Thank you hostess for doing your job for seating us and giving us menus. Heres a 10% tip." I know they somehow split the tips at the end of the night, but it has gotten out of hand.

tierre_brown likes this.
  16. tmoney1101

Those tips get split among everyone in a small restaurant that does mostly to go orders. In the bigger restaurants the person working to go is usually a waiter that has been taken of their station for the night or the bartender. They’re responsible for gathering your food, making sure everything is correct and adding all the corresponding condiments and napkins. Sure it’s not as much as the waiter usually does but it’s something and thus the 10% tip.

17. body slam

body slam Member

Don't tip them

I'm a AAA+ member and had my car towed. Out of pocket the tow would have costed $200 plus. I offer the driver a tip and he declined. So I put it back in my pocket.

18. tmoney1101

I’m a AAA member and they’ve always taken my tip lol.

19. theimpossibles1

Instead of thinking like that, think, "here's a tip so you can feed your family and/or pay rent." Most people in these kind of jobs make minimum wage or less, and depend on tips to make a living.

Is it a terrible system? Yes of course, but unless you plan to fix it, I suggest tipping.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  20. donkeypunch

I agree, thats why I tip at least 20% for everything else.

Not to get technical but do you give a handout to every homeless person you come across? They could have a family they are trying to feed. Theres variables to everything and I just dont see it in tipping for every single service performed task.