1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are We Spending Entirely Too Much Money on Counter-Terrorism?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by StupidMoniker, May 21, 2017.

?

Are we spending entirely too much money on counter-terrorism?

Poll closed May 28, 2017.
  1. Yes. Except for basic security as was seen pre-9/11, our resources would be better spent elsewhere.

44.4%
  2. Yes. We can cut back somewhat on security spending, but should no go back to pre-9/11 levels.

22.2%
  3. Yes, but the waste is in overseas wars, not what is being spent at home.

27.8%
  4. Yes, but, the waste is in what is being spent on domestic security, we need to go after ISIS et al.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No. The security measures are doing well keeping us safe, and the cost is acceptable.

5.6%
  6. No. We aren't spending enough on security, or we should spend the same, but more effectively.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. BUILD THE WALL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I was just having a discussion with someone the other day about Trump (he's a big fan, me not so much) and he was talking about one of the benefits of Trump is that he is going to be good on terrorism, so we don't have to worry about it as much. I responded that I wasn't worried about terrorists before and I won't be now, regardless of what policies are put in place, because I am in about as much danger from lightning, meteors or bees and I am from terrorists. This is simply the Genesis of my question:

Setting aside any factual inaccuracies about Trump's effectiveness as compared with former presidents, are the massive expenditures the United States is making to fight terrorism (domestically - in terms of security procedures and going after local terrorists, and internationally - in terms of the global war on terror) a tremendous misallocation of our limited resources (link to article discussing this point for your consideration if you so choose). Wouldn't we be much better served by spending FAR less on counter-terrorism and rerouting that money into any of a hundred different things, like cancer research, water desalinization, wind power, or even tax cuts? GlobalResearch.org estimates in the linked article that our domestic counter-terrorism efforts have saved lives at a cost of about $1 billion per life saved. While every life is precious, this is not the best return we can get on our investment.

So, I leave you with the question from the thread title - Are we spending entirely too much money on counter-terrorism?

napalm06 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Ok ,so let's say we cut spending on counter-terrorism. Let's say we cut it by $1 billion. And let's say the result is it only costs one life.

But, what if you knew that one life lost would be your mother? Would you be in favor of spending cuts on counter-terrorism?

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Yes but it's one of those things that inherently underlies people's faith in the institution. The populace sleeps better at night knowing we're throwing a lot of money at counter terrorism. All those other things you list are probably better for the long-term future of the country there's definitely something to be said about feeling safe when you put your head down at night.

5. dmoneybangbang

What's the relevance of that line of thinking since that exact situation would never happen?

6. dmoneybangbang

I would be considered a globalist as I would much prefer NATO become our counter-intelligence and offensive arm. I'm not saying we lose all autonomy on intelligence gathering but we shift towards combing aspects with our allies. Even better would the G20, which includes Russia and China, taking on a larger security role. Essentially, I would prefer to pass around the costs between many nations.

I don't see terrorism being defeated at all in our current situation which is more of a decentralized effort.

7. Major

Major Member

This is a terrible way to look at it. You could easily say what if that $1 billion added to cancer research would save your mother? Neither of those are good ways to decide where to spend the $1 billion.

As for the OP, it's a good question. Part of it, though, goes beyond lives directly saved. What about fear? If an extra plane or two blows up every year but you save a few hundred billion, what else is lost? Do people stop flying out of fear? What are the secondary effects of that on the economy? On trade or business or tourism? How do you quantify the value of feeling safe in terms of quality of life? Beyond that, what are the long-term consequences of letting terror groups get a foothold somewhere? Does it lead to another 9/11? By the $1-billion-per-person measure, that's $3 trillion in value. What if it's a dirty bomb or a nuke somewhere? 20,000 people dead would be $20 trillion in "value", or more than the entire annual US GDP.

There's no doubt there's endless waste in this fight. The goal should be to more efficient so we can redirect resources to the right places. It's not the amount of spending that's really key - it's what it's used for.

Rashmon and CometsWin like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

NATO Nations already share intelligence pretty heavily. No way the US is going to share intel with frenemies like China or Russia - it puts our assets in danger, and we have no idea what China and Russia's real motives are. We can trust that the UK doesn't want the White House getting blown up. Would Russia *really* mind? Are we sure they will always work towards our best interests? Russia already supports lots of terror-supporting actors like Iran and Syria.

9. dmoneybangbang

To elaborate, it should be NATO carrying out the drone strikes, it should be NATO putting boots on the ground, and it should be NATO leading an invasion into a country that supports terrorism too egregiously. Hindsight is 20/20 but it should have been NATO invading Afghanistan and Iraq (if that would have even happened under my alternate reality) and it should have been NATO along the European border maintaining the refugee crisis.

And the US supports terror-supporting actors in the Saudis and UAE. You're not wrong, but it could be a way to bridge our differences while tackling a common enemy and maybe eventually just have cool relations instead of chilly. Obviously with China and Russia, US intelligence sharing would be compartmentalized to where only relevant information is released. Like I said terrorism can't be "defeated" in a decentralized way.

Somewhat off topic, but do you ever envision a scenario where Russia would become part of the EU in some sort of grand bargain/compromise?

10. Major

Major Member

I don't think so, at least not in their current forms. Russia's values - or at least, that of the government - are very much at odds with those of western Europe. I don't think the two are really compatible in any sort of functional way - the EU would go from operating like NATO (a bunch of relatively aligned nations) to the UN (a bunch of nations with differing interests that can't get much done). I think Putin would have to be gone and you'd need a reset in the entire philosophical approach of Russia. Theoretically doable, but there's an undercurrent of patriotic nationalism there that will be hard to overcome, I would think?

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Well, um, Major...about that trust thing and Russia...um...nevermind...

Major likes this.
  12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This is a very easy question that governments and companies deal with everyday. The value of one American life is about $7-9 million. I get what you are saying. But in the real world, this is not a confusing question at all: your mom ain't worth close to a billion dollars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/business/economy/17regulation.html

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's an important question. I think money spent on combating terrorism on airlines and in the ports is worth significant investment as well as big events like the Super Bowl, parades, and festivals. It's the random terrorism like San Bernadino and the like where you pull back resources. Small town police departments don't need counter terrorism training.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

San Bernardino could be easily classified as just another incident of a US mass shooting. Conservatives would flat ignore this incident if no Muslims were involved since any remedy would become a second amendment issue. If Muslims are involved, conservatives need to feed their War on Islam narrative.

We would all be better served if we were more circumspect in how we view gun violence and how we project "radical Islamism" on domestic terrorist acts. If we really wanted to prevent the San Bernardino or the Orlando night club shooting, we need better gun laws. Clearly people who should not access to guns do.

As long as we purposely misread domestic terrorism incidents, we can not even begin to have a real discussion to how to reduce such incidents. This is not to say that we should ignore radical Islamism as a cause for future domestic terrorist acts. In particular, we should pay close close attention to efforts to radicalized Muslim Americans.

CometsWin likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Remove the cost of the two wars and we probably do not, or even need to spend more. In particular, we need more spending on infrastructure and cyber defense now.

Overall, we went stupid in our rash and quick reaction to 911 and focused way too much in the wrong areas.

16. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I think it's money better spent than on new aircraft carriers, as an example.

Or flying fat ass to and from FL every weekend, as another example.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Afghanistan certainly was the right area. Iraq was the wrong area, where we sacrificed the most of the blood and money.

Even though Afghanistan was the right thing to do, the long term prognosis for Afghanistan is not bright. The tribal violence will lead to chaos, once the US leaves the area. Staying longer in Afghanistan will not mitigate this. What Afghanistan needs is a political solution, which may be generations away.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Flatly ignore? I disagree. We didn't ignore the South Carolina or multiple Colorado shootings. And those are some pretty big "ifs".

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think if we studied and honor Afghan's past and even recent Soviet involvement there... we wouldn't be so rash and quick

snowconeman22 and No Worries like this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

umm from my recollection from these mass shooting events, liberals are always yelled at for 'politicizing' these events and conservatives always state to let the mourn in peace which is code phrasing for 'ignore this'. I don't see conservatives ever bring up these mass shootings. If it's brought up by lib, they might answer with 'mental health issue' and be done with it.

No Worries likes this.