1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we really that cursed of a sports city?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, May 3, 2014.

Tags:
?

Is Houston Cursed?

1. Yes

66.1%
  2. No

33.9%
  1. VanityHalfBlack

Compared to the other cities, I don't think Houston is really that bad. We're really fortunate to be completely honest.

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Will never be as bad as Cleveland.

Never.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If you include WNBA, IHL, and MLS, we're the bombs!!!
    Sports that matter we suck.
    Plus, we often lose in the most floppish ways.

We're not THE worst city... great.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Without the rockets we would be

5. downbytheriver

As far as major cities go... YES. Only phoenix is worse

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

DC has been pretty dry the since the Redskins won in the 80's. The Skins go to the playoffs sparingly and haven't been back to the SB. The Wizards mostly suck until now. The Caps had one Stanley Cup run then have gone downhill since then. The Nats are new, and blew their playoff series two years ago.

Phoenix isn't that bad: the Dbacks won it all after 9/11. The Cards made it to the SB 6 years ago. The Suns are below the chip but have had above average success over the last 20 years. I have no idea about the Coyotes.

Miami has had chips in multiple sports. Same for Boston, NYC, Chicago....

I think it's not really fair to judge cities in totality bc each organization's success is separate in each sport and independent of the others.
    And Houston hasn't been that terrible overall. Rockets have mostly sucked but did get 2 chips 20 years go. The Stros made it to the WS less than 10 years ago and were super competitive then and should be again w/in the next 4 years. The Texans are still the youngest franchise, and had 2 good seasons before last year's debacle.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No.

Quit being such huge babies

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I live up in D/FW. I think this town is equally or more cursed when it comes to sports. The Stars, Rangers, Cowboys, and Mavericks have had lots of failure just like Houston teams.

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I guess it depends on what you think cursed is. Our teams have made a lot of playoffs in my lifetime...but its usually first round and out. However, there are so many franchises that never smell the playoffs.

The Rockets have actually made the playoffs a lot, just not as many finals appearances or titles as we'd like.

Astros were good in the early and mid 80s (two West titles) and were pretty awesome from 1994-2005 (competitive except for the first Enron field year)

The Oilers were actually really competitive before the meltdown and departure...they went to the playoffs 10 out of 15 years from 78-93.

The Texans....well.....its been a rough go. 2 second round playoff exits in 12 years.

10. VanityHalfBlack

So you guys are saying Houston is the red sox curse of basketball? Or maybe you think Damian Lillard is a demon slayer that slayed all our knights in combat?

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Dallas is light years ahead of Houston. They have all 4 major sports. Three of those teams have won a championship, the other has B2B World Series appearances. They have the most popular team in the country. They've suffered embarrassment, but Houston's is worse. Dallas is light years ahead.

1 person likes this.
  12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

The Rockets specifically aren't cursed... the city on whole might be.

13. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Can't believe it's been 20 yrs since Clutch City. I was only 7 but I remember very well watching the games with my dad. When Elie hit the kiss of death, we both jumped and yelled and I put my hands on the TV and wanted to kiss it but couldn't cause it was too high. Haha good times.

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

#14 BleedRocketsRed, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014
  15. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

San Jose Sharks probably the most cursed team in sports over the last decade. Google their regular season and their playoff futility.

16. BleedRocketsRed

That being said, we are probably better than:
    Cleveland
    San Diego
    Buffalo
    Kansas City
    Atlanta (which did win an MLB title in 95 soo tied probably)

17. BleedRocketsRed

Phoenix is not worse IMO.

They won an MLB title in 2001 (which was after our last title that counts). Their basketball and football teams have both had greater recent success than ours (we have made it past the first round ONCE in the past 15 years in basketball and Cardinals are a good team).

18. Hmm

Hmm Member

[​IMG]

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We won four straight WNBA chips, two straight WHA chips, one Turner Cup, one Calder Cup, two sraight MLS chips,two straight AFL chips, and two straight NBA chips.

The Texans recently were very competitive and the Astros had long stretches of being very good in the 80s and 90s.

The Astros are legit contenders with a few more tweaks.

Who would you rather be? Memphis? Oklahoma City? Charlotte?

20. Hmm

Hmm Member

Let's just ignore their first visit to the World Series in franchise history, Mr. Clutch......