1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we just gonna ignore the job Romeo Crennel is doing?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mr. Clutch, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you let him retire and go with Vrabel before you lose the young coach for an extra year of the old coach.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dick Lebeau is still coaching.

Unless you have dementia, you don't forget how to coach as you get older.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one was saying that he'd forget how to coach, but who says he wants to coach many more seasons? What happens if he wants to retire after 2 more seasons and you lose Vrabel in that time?

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Then you promote somebody else? Vrabel certainly has some potential, but still remains unproven. They're not going to force the driving force behind the #1 ranked defense into retirement.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess it's just a philosophical difference. I'd much rather get rid of someone one season too soon and ensure I have a replacement ready to go than ride them into the dirt and be left with nothing whenever that happens. It's why I was also suggesting that the Texans work on the backup QB back when Schaub was still "good" but getting up there in age. I was told that he had 10 years left......and he was done 2 years later.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-defensive-front-sevens-this-season/

10. Houston Texans
    Top overall grade: OLB Whitney Mercilus, 87.4

Lowest overall grade: NT Vince Wilfork, 45.1

It’s impressive to see that, without the best defensive player of the last decade, the Texans still fielded a top-10 front-seven this year. Jadeveon Clowney continued the dominant level of run defense he flashed in 2015, while Whitney Mercilus firmly established himself as one of the league’s premier edge rushers. It’s a shame, though, that injury has zapped Brian Cushing of his dominant blitzing prowess, as he managed three combined sacks and hits this year after averaging 13 over his first three season in the league.

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Actually Dick Lebeau was fired (or step down if you like to call it this way) 2 years ago by the Steelers.

After he took over the Titans, we have not seen any significant improvements on their defense.

Not doubting he is a great defensive coach in this league for years and a sure HOF guy in future.

But when there will be your time, its time to let go.

Romeo did a good job here overall the last 2 years, and also heard his preparation before the game is great. But this defense does have issues, in many games the defense was great in the first half but eventually collapse late on big plays in the second half, especially on the secondary. I won't put it all on Romeo but there are for sure issues for our coach to make adjustments during the game.

The same can be said on BOB also for sure.