1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Are we just going to ignore Anthony Davis' monster season?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ghettocheeze, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

29 PPG
    12 RPG
    2.5 BPG

Only one other player in the modern era has posted such a season - Shaquille O'Neal in 2000 when he was declared a near unanimous MVP. (http://bkref.com/tiny/sszAD)

Call me old fashioned, but I find this achievement more celebratory. After all, I grew up in the Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, Barkley, Ewing era. A dominant front-court player is an almost extinct species nowadays. They don't make them like that anymore.

Meanwhile, Davis is only 23 years old, his prime has yet to come, which is scary. He could be the most dominant player of the next decade.

P.S. I don't want stir up a versus Harden or Westbrook controversy so don't write me about them. Each player deserves accolades for their terrific seasons. I just want to shed some light on Anthony Davis.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Yeah we're going to ignore it. What playoff seed are they again? If you don't win, it diminishes your individual greatness. Look at Love, Cousins, and Carmelo as quick/easy examples. Is that fair? Depends on who you ask. If you put Lebron on the Pelicans would they at least be a playoff team? Some would say absolutely because he makes players around him better.

Maybe it's the way the game is played now, but it seems like perimeter players with the ability to score and distribute the ball have more impact on the game in regards to wins and losses. Ideally you'd love to have an Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns to play with a Harden or Westbrook.

That said, he has the potential to be great.

Lawlruschang, vtjsr2 and DudeWah like this.
  3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He's insanely talented but bigs just can't control the game like guards do in this age. It's why Harden has taken this Rockets team every year to the playoffs even when his supporting cast has been crappy (his 1st season with Lin, rookie Parsons, and stone-hands Asik) and Cousins/Towns/Davis can't even get their teams to .500.

Exiled likes this.
  4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Rockets are 30-9

Lawlruschang likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How much success would old centers like shaq, hakeem, Drob, Ewing, Mourning etc. have in today's NBA? I think AD is pretty close to Drob and Hakeem and he just isn't winning.

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

The Pelicans and Rockets have basically had a timeshare with their role players, swapping them in and out over the recent years. How did their teams compare? Davis is awesome but he just can't affect the game like Harden can in this era's NBA.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The coaching sucks. I can't remember where I read recently that Ryan Anderson got fewer open 3's than any stretch 4 in the league. How the F does that happen other than atrocious coaching?

They also kept acquiring C's instead of PF's to pair him with until now, which is idiotic if you look at the direction the NBA is going. Do you want Davis chasing 4's on the perimeter, eliminating him as an interior protector and putting him at a disadvantage against significantly worse players? Putting Davis at the 5 is like putting Harden at the 1 >> just get to the f'in point and do it. He is going to dominate at the 5 so much, which is what's really happening now.

Coach also has to think about new schemes, for the new NBA. They can even be running more Princeton, he seems to be a developing passer and it would make him more of a focal point than being the roll man in the PnR. Gentry is running the team like they have Steve Nash, and they don't. I don't know, I'm terrible at X's and O's but... if you don't have excellent talent around Davis, the least you can do is get players who run fast and stay efficient from 3. Not Solomon f'in Hill for 12m+ per season. Man.

The other thing is, he does not need to improve offensively anymore. He's got everything. They should focus on nothing else but making him DPOY in addition to his offensive skills. Bring in some excellent coaches, put him at the 5, let the defense be anchored by him as much as possible and give him competent defenders at the 4 and 2.

Feel bad for him. He is definitely a franchise player even as a big man, some coach is going to figure out how to use big men in the new NBA and things will change. The new talent at the 5 spot in the NBA is too much to ignore.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  8. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

he needs to team up with harden, so he can win a ring

Lawlruschang likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He has monster season pretty much every year. That's why we kind of ignore him after the second or third one.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  10. Exiled

Exiled Member

He wouldn't had stayed healthy a full week in Ewing-Shaq era.