1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we going to pretend like Troy Williams didn't light it up? (Highlights Included)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 8, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My body is ready.

Sign him up Durrell Murray!

20 points and looked like an NBA player playing with college kids out there!

jamisonrocket, mockster and cbs1507 like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Grizzlies trying to get him. They liked him. Then we liked him. Now they want him back. I think that's more than enough to tell us he is an NBA player.

Those highlights don't look great. That kind of blind running straight at a player won't cut it in the NBA, nor will a 3pt shot that looks different each time he takes it.

Let's see if that 3pt% holds up throughout. That's a necessary upgrade to his game.

3. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

He no Joe chee

CantBeRight and SF3isBack!! like this.
  4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Give that man some rent $$$

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  5. justtxyank

I'm hoping we already have an agreement to sign him for the minimum.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Me too, but I wonder if the Grizz would offer him more and he sees that he can either compete with Ariza/Tucker here or Chandler Parsons there.

7. justtxyank

Don't think they have any money to offer anymore

Edit: they have about 3 million left they could give him of the mle if they want to be hard capped

Mathloom likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think Grizz will be crazy to give him 3M if they do I wish him the best. Gotta get that money while you can LOL. Maybe its just me but I think there are a lot of NBA level players in the world just based on body type alone, the problem is most guys either don't want to put in the work or aren't able to play at an NBA level speed. The knock on T-will coming into the draft were his bball IQ and motor, in terms of skills and athleticism he was already good enough to play in the NBA.

I hope Rox lock him up just cuz we need all the decent min players we can get. Troy Williams had a lot of good contributions to the Grizz last year, I hope the Rox don't let him go and miss out on a gem they already had.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

troy, taylor, qi, and nanu are a pretty good 3rd string. i'f i'm DM i'm only looking to fill 3 more roster spots right now. i think they need a vet PG and vet center as insurance in case of paul or nene injuries.

capelap-nene-(VET)
    ryno-qi-nanu
    ariza-tucker-troy
    harden-ego-(???)
    paul-(VET)-taylor

honestly qi and taylor have a chance to make the second string if they are consistent in summer league, training camp, and preseason. obviously very early for them. i dont consider nanu to be a 4, but i think that's where his roster spot is since we need a vet center ready to play a lot of games for nene this year.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hes good but hes no Joe Cheese

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Would we have been a lot more excited about Troy if he was Chinese or one of LaVar Ball's sons? What if he was LaVar Ball's Chinese son?

#11 Carl Herrera, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    bigdaddy, Ozzy, Von Rafer and 3 others like this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

He's definitely an NBA player; talented scorer. But he turns the ball over way too much (i think 4x last night); i worry about his handles. I still see him as a reserve playing that specific 3pt role, but don't see more.

Actually the two guys I thought who showed a lot of versatility were Chris Johnson (8 boards, 2 steals, a block, 2 dimes, 12 pts in 26 min). He looked good. Also Isaiah Taylor, who made some wow-type passes and just looked about as smooth as can be (dropping 10 dimes and 1 TO in 25 min). I want to see more of that guy; i like PGs that can run the floor well and take care of the ball. Taylor did that last night. I was at summer league last year, and he definitely looks improved.

Gorki, D-rock and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Didn't he fill in for an injured player last season and made a ton of 3s? Then vanished after that. Couldn't recall why.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

meh...looks out of control

Rodman23 likes this.
  15. finsraider

finsraider Member

I like him as our 4th forward. Keep in mind that he wouldn't be doing all that dribbling and reckless attacking with the Rockets. He'd be a cutter and spot up shooter in the half court with Harden or CP3 as distributors and playmakers.

StrawberryJamm, Amiga and TruthBeTold like this.
  16. threepointshot3

I think he will get the backup minutes or atleast some of the backup minutes behind Ariza. Tucker will get the PF backup minutes. Williams will get some really easy looks on the transition by Paul for easy dunks and layups this season.

StrawberryJamm likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

love his attitude and mindset on the court. but a lot of times he missed the open man and drove into a crowd instead. and his shot form needs more consistency. i'm on the fence about whether he can contribute as a rotation player for us.

Deckard, Caesar and skroodup25 like this.
  18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

As a fringe rotation and developmental player I think they could do worse.

He's still young enough to where he can improve. Id definitely like to keep him around.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I watched the game and he just seemed out of control most of the time. However -he had the best motor of anyone in the game, scrapping and laying out for loose balls. He could fill the Dekker role when we just need an extra forward in a pinch.

Caesar, skroodup25 and BigMaloe like this.
  20. PatBev

PatBev Member

I really want to see this team develop a young player instead of sticking to only the vet lineup

Ozzy likes this.