1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we going to ignore Danilo Gallinari's comeback

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Bounce back season from a guy who finally got himself in shape and as has a niche in today's NBA as a stretch four. I still expect the Clippers to flip him for expiring contracts and a draft pick ala Blake Griffin.

My prediction is Gallo lands in Utah and their starting lineup will be Gobert/Gallo/Ingles/Mitchell/Rubio...

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yaa26egy

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Gallo gets injured every year. Hope he doesn't thus year.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

If he can stay healty he's good starter, and yeah, i expect the Clippers to flip him at some point, Jazz are a good guess, Indiana too, maybe even Washington in a 3 team trade with Porter to Indiana.

4. magichat281

magichat281 Member

im gonna ignore this thread

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and hakeem94 like this.
  5. omgTHEpotential

Career high offensive rating and OBPM, as well as .230 WS/48 (Harden currently at .137, Westbrook at .172). Gallinari is basically having a career year so far...

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wasnt he always a great player? and its just frequent injuries that have derailed his career into mediocrity?

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I will continue ignoring him until he performs well in meaningful games, like the playoffs.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Playoffs and clippers... Slow burn

9. Garner

Garner Member

Honestly, yea, I plan to ignore it.

Gallo is such an exciting “if-only” player, but I don’t trust him to play more than 50 games

10. omgTHEpotential

Pretty much, yeah.

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Thats hard to do considering he hardly ever gets to the playoffs.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I've always liked Gallinari, but he can't stay healthy. I don't see the Clippers keeping him, past the All-star game.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Yes, because who cares about Gallinari?

14. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

The fact he hasn't been ignored or forgotten despite his injuries every year lets you know how good he is. He's always been a great player if or when he plays.

15. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Danilo Gallinari has been among NBA's most versatile scorers this year

By: Bryan Kalbrosky | February 28, 2019

Many have overlooked the very impressive showing that 30-year-old Danilo Gallinari has shown for the Clippers so far this season.

It is easy to look at the surprisingly pricy three-year, $64 million deal that he earned during the 2017 offseason without an All-Star appearance and think of the deal as a bit of a disappointment. However, he has been playing up to his deal this year and has been one of the more fascinating cases of someone getting better with age in the NBA.

Gallinari has been in the league since 2008, but going into this season he had only appeared in 60-plus games three times.

All too often sidelined by injury, it was hard for him to find a rhythm as the dominant scorer he knew he was capable of becoming. Yet this season, he is averaging 1.15 points per possession. That ranks third-best among all high-volume contributors (minimum: 800 possessions) in the NBA, according to Synergy Sports Tech.

He also boasts a career-high in true shooting percentage (62.7 percent) and Player Efficiency Rating (19.7) through 51 games. His PER is No. 6 overall among all qualified players at his position, via RealGM.

[​IMG]

“I’ve been playing for a while,” Gallinari told HoopsHype when asked about recovering from his injuries to get back to the level of production he knew he was capable of reaching. “I know what I can bring to the table. I was never worried about that.”

Meanwhile, he has also posted his personal best total rebound rate (10.3 percent) in his career as well as his highest assist rate (12.1 percent) since 2012-13.

When looking at his catch-all production on offense, according to ESPN’s Offensive Real Plus-Minus, he is in the Top 20. In fact, Gallinari trails just Paul George, Kevin Durant and LeBron James among all small forwards in this measurement.

Of course, this is all amidst a ton of roster turnover for the Clippers so far this season. Gallinari, meanwhile, has been a consistent source of offense throughout.

Email
    Like this article?
    Sign up for the HoopsHype email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

[​IMG]

He has played particularly well since the front office landed rookie guard Landry Shamet.

Gallinari has averaged 25.9 points per 36 minutes when on the court with the former Wichita State standout. During the 119 minutes they have played together thus far, the team has outscored opponents by 5.4 points per 100 possessions despite losing All-Star candidate Tobias Harris in the deal.

He has also looked very sharp when he has appeared with veteran guard Patrick Beverley during their 820 minutes together as well.

[​IMG]

The team has a positive net rating in those situations while Gallinari has averaged 25.6 points per 36. Gallinari is also shooting a staggering 30-for-53 (56.6 percent) from three-point range after passes from Beverley.

His three-point shooting has been his most lauded trait, connecting on 43.8 percent of his looks from downtown this season.

That has been his best mark since his rookie campaign in 2008-09 and ranks in the 92nd percentile among players at his position, per Cleaning the Glass.

[​IMG]
    (via Positive Residual)

“I’m very comfortable,” explained Gallinari. “That’s something that I work on at the gym and at practice every day.”

Gallinari has most often finished possessions as a spot-up shooter for the Clippers. He is averaging 1.12 points per possession on this play type. That puts him in the 80th percentile, via Synergy.

Meanwhile, he is averaging 1.28 points per possession (90th percentile) on catch-and-shoot opportunities. He has scored 5.0 points per game off the catch, which puts him in the Top 20 among all NBA players. Overall, he has helped his team record the second-most points per possession on catch-and-shoot plays.

“When you are efficient in spot-up shooting, I think that is mostly because of your teammates and the style that we play,” continued Gallinari. “My teammates are finding me at the right time and in the right place. We have a lot of passing ability on this team.”

According to Synergy, he has also been fantastic coming off screens. This is also a credit to his chemistry with teammate Montrezl Harrell. The big man has recorded 214 screen assists this season, which is currently the sixth-most in the Western Conference.

[​IMG]

When this play is called, Gallinari is averaging 1.19 points per possession. Among those who have finished at least 65 possessions coming off a screen, just three players (including two-time MVP Stephen Curry and 2018 NBA three-point contest champion Joe Harris) have been more efficient.

Overall only a dozen players in the West have averaged more points per game from jump shots. He has averaged 1.01 points per possession (85th percentile) off the dribble this season, which displays his fantastic skill set to create his own shot as well.

His resumé might scream sharpshooter, though he is capable of doing much more than that. Gallinari has been impressive when asked to run the offense as the primary ballhandler in the pick-and-roll. Including passes, he ranks in the 96th percentile among all players in the league on PnRs.

[​IMG]

Perhaps most surprising, though, is that he has been terrific when posting up on smaller defenders. He is not a big man but stands at 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-1 wingspan, so he often has a size advantage when guarded by forwards.

He has taken just 1.2 field goal attempts per game on post-up possessions. But among those who have finished at least 90 possessions on this play type, none have been more efficient than the Italian-born NBA player.

Given his overall production on the basketball court, it is hard to find a more well-rounded player who has been as efficient as Gallinari has this season.

The Top 30 players over 30 for 2018-19
    [​IMG]
    DunkWire, Featured, Danilo Gallinari, Landry Shamet, Montrezl Harrell, Patrick Beverley, Denver Nuggets, L.A. Clippers, New York Knicks

saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm glad the dude is having a healthy season.

saleem likes this.
  17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

See, the guy has to accomplish 3 things to be news worthy according to ESPN. First and foremost his team has to be in LA, so we are good there. Second, he needs his team to be in 10th place. See, the clips aren't, so ESPN won't report on it. Lastly, he needs to wear the number 23, which he doesn't. By all accounts, this isn't newsworthy for an LA team or player.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

is it just my phone or is that font huge as a mafuxer?

Rocket River likes this.
  19. opticon

opticon Member

Same here almost sprained my thumb scrolling

20. plates300

plates300 Member

He was always had the potential to be a great player but every season he was about to get over the hump, he would have some nagging injury if not just a freak injury. Kudos to him for the great year he’s having. Hope he stays healthy.

saleem likes this.