1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we capable of everything BUT winning?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AntiSonic, Nov 30, 1999.

1. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I just don't get it. Every game we have a considerable lead in the fourth quarter, yet every time we throw it away.

Is this team just incapable of winning?

[This message has been edited by AntiSonic (edited November 29, 1999).]

2. Hate to throw my same ol two cents into it their Anti, but it all boils down to coaching.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

One (compound) word: Free-throws.

------------------
    The truth is out there... but not in the post.

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

tds99:

to play the part of the devil's advocate, i have to ask if rudy is supposed to remind his players every time to the stripe, to shoot the free throw...

rudy's still stale, but for different reasons than this particular game, oh wait, bullard's in, my bad [​IMG]

edit: dang it fox, you beat me.

[This message has been edited by Achebe (edited November 29, 1999).]

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We had the lead ,the momentum ,and our starters were rested.Rudy T gave it all away by not bringing them back in.

6. Achebe...When your team is constantly bad at free throws for 3 years, then it becomes a coaching issue.

Same goes for Turnovers, 4th quarter collapses, and Defense.

7. Achebe

i'll concede the 4th quarter collapses and then some, i've been to every rockets/utah game here in utah since 96/97, and i can't remember the last game that the rockets led, and didn't consequently give up the lead, oh yeah i can, they stunk it up their 2nd game this season, but you get the point...

the tos i blame on rudy b/c of his wasting chuck & kj's time last year by not giving kj the call (the ol' i have to do something w/ sarah jessica pippen over here)

the defense, though has had its moments...

8. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

"I just don't get it. Every game we have a considerable lead in the fourth quarter, yet every time we throw it away.
    Is this team just incapable of winning?
    "

Immediately after posting this, Cat Mobley nails a three and then Stevie goes onto hit a great shot to force over time.

In over time, despite being without Stevie andthe Dream, the Rockets completely outexecute the Grizzlies and prove my ass wrong.

CROW NEVER TASTED SO GOOD!

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL.

9. I officially nominate Anti, as the prophetic sage to forcast doom before every game.

Stick with what works. Suspicions do WORK.

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I couldn't agree more!!!

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad we won,butit shouldn't have even been close.

12. Achebe

thanks for taking the bullet anti, i was thinking it was my 8-0 proclamation until 12/15; i'm so stoked that the play the clock & force an overtime actually works from time to time... this win was better than just a 20 point win over a lesser team; they got frantic and actually had to play it cool for the win. very, very nice.

13. haven

haven Member

I noticed people say "it shouldn't have been that close." I hate to say it, but Houston IS 4-11 -- after that win. We can no longer expect to beat anybody, especially w/ hakeem out. That said, I think we'll improve, and that by the end of the year, victory over the ilk of the league will again be routine.

14. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

I had to eat crow too Antisonic. It was looking like we lost this one for sure, and I have to admit I would have given up on the season, for now, if we had lost this one. To me, it would have meant we really are just a bad team. Up till now, I thought we were still close to getting over the hump and being a good team. But we won, so it's all for nothing.

I'm just disappointed that after playing Portland tough we didn't come out with some confidence and kick the Grizzly's rear down to St. Louis.

But they played like I hoped in the overtime. Steve Francis and Cuttino MObley (I left him out in another post) and Matt Bullard really showed some guts tonight and nailed their shots when it counted. The Rockets found a way to win. You gotta have some Mario Elie GUTS!

Really, Mobley made that 3 to get us back in the game. That was clutch. Stevie hit the 2 (almost a 3) to get us to overtime. That was clutch. Bullard hit a 3 to answer the Grizzly's 3 which broke their spirit somewhat in overtime. That was clutch.

GO ROCKETS!