1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we a contender or a pretender?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 7, 2008.

?

Are we a pretender or a contender?

1. Contender!

75 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Pretender - need another star

51 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Pretender - need more time to gel / chemistry

48 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Pretender - rookies need more experience

13 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Pretender - need to upgrade role players

36 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. Pretender - need major shake up / trade

32 vote(s)
    11.9%
  7. Don't know or Other

15 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just curious. My thoughts are that we're not going to contend this year. The west is too steep with too many teams that are both experienced, have great chemistry, and loads of weapons.

I think Utah and L.A. are the contenders from the West right now.

With the second tier as San Antonio (but you can't count out the champs), Phoenix and Dallas.

Then is Portland, Golden State, Houston, and New Orleans.

Denver is going to go south.

So the second question is what do we need to address the most to move from a pretender to a contender next year?

2. awo86

awo86 Rookie

"The End will justifies the means!"

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Pretender - need more time to gel, but by the end of the year, could be a contender.

DD

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

We are contenders.

Lakers are pretenders......they've not done squat and now people want to crown them, then crown their azz I don't give a rats azz

Utah is strong---they are for real

Spurs are too old

Phoenix--I don't know what to expect, perhaps they upset the lakers and come up short against utah?

denver and portland are pretenders

No, I'm not a homer :) :mad:

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Right now we are not even a pretender, we are clawing and scratching just to make the playoffs. The Mavs, Lakers and Suns pre-Shaq, those are pretenders.

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Hornies are pretenders too.

7. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Right now, pretender. This present team can make the playoffs and depending upon the match ups, we should be able to at least escape the first round but, that won't cut it with the Brass when we are also living somewhat on borrowed time with T-Mac & Yao!

I say combination of getting their game right which this month they have that chance AKA gel/chemistry and improve overall execution both FG/FT% as well as, adding some more firepower with a key wire pickup especially a shooter. Must improve our perimeter game IMO to keep the offense from stagnating in the half court.

8. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

With just 5.5 games apart from the top to the 10th team, anything can happen to the West this year. Anybody can beat anybody in a 7 game series! Boston and Detroit will be sitting and watching all the West playoff team flighting their ass off to get to the final so I guess, the East is going to win the champ this year! :mad:

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think winning a playoff series and getting to the second round would be a big accomplishment to build on for next year. But personally i think we need to pick up another star but without losing T-mac or Yao. And not giving up too much of the core either.

Scola, Landry, Brooks are probably our most tradeable assets....maybe Shane. After that it looks not so great. But if we sign another star as a free agent, we'll have to move some of the other guys to make room in an already crowed rotation, so we might be able to pick up a very good role player as well.

10. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

I think the real trick here is not to freak out if the Rockets lose another first round playoff series.

11. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Agreed it would be a start instead of just consistently getting the participant award for going to the playoffs. :rolleyes: Personally though, I don't like our perimeter game. I mean either A) we have to get a PG that CAN shoot or B) we need a shooter to offset the inconsistent perimeter game and compliment Rafer's ability to set up shots off the penetration(but he doesn't do that consistently enough) or C) we need Brooks' game to elevate and supplant Rafer as the starting PG.

Mike Miller, might be that guy to provide instant offense and a better defensive presence than Novak.

If we do nothing IMO, defenses will sag on us in the paint and bog it down for Yao, Landry and Scola.

12. mister pc

mister pc Member

this negativity is really pathetic. Even though the Rockets have the best center in the NBA, one of the best guards in the NBA, multiple good role players and 3 solid rookies, seems like the fans have no faith in their team at all. Man yall are a sad bunch. Its funny to see people on here whining about an offseason where we acquired Scola, Brooks, and Landry. There is no team in the west that the Rockets cant beat. I bet most of yall will just hop back on the bandwagon once we get out of the first round and pretend like you knew it would happen all along.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

at the start of the season i would have said contender and even favorite.

But I am totally unsure now. They should be a contender but their play hasnt made me have too much confidence. That being said, lets get it going and make a helluva run to the championship!

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

No, that would mean that the West would win, since the East will lose their drive and killer instinct and whomever comes out of the west will have the eye of the tiger and win it.

**barring injuries**

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Yeah, I agree.

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I don't understand this argument.

2 prolific scorers in their first full season together
    1 reigning Defensive Player of the Year
    1 great coach
    1 solid PF that has bounced back fairly well from injuries this season
    2 solid role players in Kleiza(offense) and Najera(defense, intangibles)
    1 dangerous end of the rotation player in JR Smith (he hasn't done much this season but his athleticism and 3pt shooting ability make him a real factor any time he steps on the court)

Losing Nene hurts this team because they don't have a lot of depth but I still can't see a team with this much top line talent missing the playoffs. If the Nuggets pick up another decent frontcourt player before the deadline, they could do more than just make the playoffs.

17. ikarus

ikarus Rookie

i don't know. We live or die on TMac. It is so tough to tell which "tender" we are.

18. dewster

dewster Member

Yo i voted contender because i know the houston rockets aint scurrred of those top tier teams. at the end of the day we have yao and tmac on our team so i know we are still in the playoff race. heck even if we barely make it to the playoffs as the 8th seed, it will be a nice upset if we win the championship.

19. Asian Sensation

Very true.

20. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

HAHA

Lakers and Utah > SA, Dallas, AND Suns... give me a break.

I hate Dallas and still they are ahead of both of those teams, Spurs come playoff time will be dominating if they have healthy Parker... Suns yea that trade was idiotic I think they may be lower than 2nd tier so good call there.

Lakers are still a terrible road team, till they prove otherwise. They made 1 trade, I have not seen Gasol produce a damn thing with limelight on him (the 0-8 record in playoffs, come on can't win 1 game.... and yes thats on him). Utah is good but again same thing, can they win on the road? If answer is no, which it sure seems like they have no chance come playoff time unless they can get #1 seed, which they won't.

Rockets are still right there with the Lakers and Jazz because we can win on the Road, I think people don't take this into account enough, these are important things come playoff time. Ok maybe not right there, but they can be if Landry can keep stepping up and freaking Scola steps up along with 1 PG not named Alston.... (PLEASE BROOKS OR JAMES SHOW SOMETHING GREAT!).

I just find it interesting how Gasol automatically has made Lakers this good, they have proven nothing. Yes they have best player in NBA (Kobe), yes they have best coach (Jackson), but come on Gasol turns this team from an OK team to the west's best... I dont know about all that.