1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are there any problems with my idea? Please correct if needed.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lr22, Jul 1, 2012.

1. lr22

lr22 Member

What will happen if Morey offers $10M/yr or something like that for Brook Lopes on July 11(the day free agents may begin signing contracts)?

If the Nets match that, then they have to make a deal and bring Dwight to Brooklyn quickly (which will ship Lopez to Olrando), because teams cannot trade their newly-signed player until December if they doesn't do S&T. And if Ropez becomes an unmovable player, I say Dwight-to-Brooklyn deal is almost failed.

But can the Nets and the Magic reach agreement so quickly? I strongly doubt that, therefor I think this idea makes much sense for the Rockets.

The best scenario for both side will be something like this; the Rockets make $45M/4yrs offer for Lopez, Lopez signs with that, the Nets match that. Then sign&trade him for Scola, Martin, Patterson and Jones or picks. We get new young talent while trade Scola and Martin away, the Nets get quality players to put around D-Will or convince the Magic to trade Dwight.

I know Lopez is an awful rebounder, but he's young, and at least has good scoring ability. Paring him with a defensive-minded big like Asik would be great.

If, and this is big if, the Nets succeed in bringing Dwight for Lopez in limited time, then Morey can be concentrated on signing quality FAs and will not be suffered from stupid "ranting Dwight " idea anymore.

Am I missing something important on rules?
    What are you guys think?

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

You mean pay the Lopez/Asik combo $18M/Yr?

3. cml750

cml750 Member

If we get a one dimensional center,he needs to be defensive minded not offensive.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

There's no need to do that at this point. Nets know they aren't getting Dwight through trade. They've offered Wallace a big contract. And they're prepared to bring someone else in like Mayo or Scola. They are moving on and trying to put pieces around DWill to retain him on July 11. They know their opportunity to trade for Dwight is over. Their only hope is to trade for him in 2013 after he becomes a free agent.

What Morey has to do is be patient at this point. (Sounds crazy, doesn't it?) He has to involve himself in the Lakers/Dwight talks to convolute the whole mess and see what exactly he can get by with in Dwight trade talks. In other words, he has to measure the trade before making the offer. They've got 10 days.

At this point:

Orlando has eliminated themselves from retaining Dwight.
    Nets know they've been eliminated and they are scrambling to retain DWill.
    Rox still have all their pieces.

It looks like the Lakers are becoming involved. This could be a problem. There could be a conspiracy to get both Dwight and DWill to the Lakers. If the Nets sense they are likely to lose DWill in free agency, they will most likely accept a Bynum or Gasol trade for a re-signed DWill. So, can the Lakers put together a better trade for Dwight involving a convoluted assortment of teams such as Minny and still get Dwight and have trade value for DWill? I don't think so. But...you never know. And perhaps both LA and Houston will settle for just getting Dwight. I see Houston being more willing to do that than LA. Dwight and Kobe by themselves....gonna be pretty tough for them to get out of the West. They need that 3rd guy. Artest ain't it.

5. Jamers

Jamers Member

they're both centers

6. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Agree totally.

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes you are missing a couple of things:

If the team matches an offer sheet and retains their free agent, then for one year they cannot trade him without his consent, and cannot trade him at all to the team that signed him to an offer sheet. They also can't trade the player in a sign-and-trade transaction (see question number 88).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q43

1. If you match an offer sheet then you can't trade the player without their consent for 1 year.

2. You cannot trade a player to the team that signed him to an offer sheet (regardless of consent).

3. If you match an offer then that player can't be included in a sign and trade.

Of course, the biggest problem withe this idea is that the Nets might not match and then you are stuck paying Brook Lopez $10M a year for the near future.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think it is smart, but you still have to plan on the Nets not matching. Lopez is okay, but only at the right price. The price has to be enough to throw a wrench in plans, but not so much that it is a bad contract.

Also, and a BIG also, is this is a cut throat way of doing business. We don't need a reputation like that. This could prevent other teams from dealing with us in the future. For us, future > present, so don't mess that up by playing cut throat. See the bigger picture.

9. rocketsfaninala

Really nice post. One of the better post that has been made lately.

10. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

By the way, with Lopez, if you call him a center, he'll fetch an overpriced $11M/yr. If you pair him with Asik, and call him a PF, and he gets you 18 & 6 and can't defend, even Luis will only say 'He Look Ok' ...

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Lopez is soft as tissue paper. I don't want a center near the rockets that isn't a better rebounder than Kyle Lowry.

12. joesr

joesr Member

One, once you make an offer, that offer if I am not mistaken is 'counted' agaisnt your cap until the other team decides to match it or decline it. so first off you have to be careful about who you make offers to since other teams can wait till the last minute and therefore holding 'cap' on you.

Two, I am pretty sure Lopez can get more then that so I do not think he would accept our offer.

13. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I'm not so sure Nets are out of it. Let's say Nets already have verbal agreements with Gerald Wallace and Deron Williams. What if Nets are able to convince Lopez to do a sign and trade to Orlando for Howard. This would mean Nets get Howard and THEN can sign Dwill and Wallace and go over the cap because Dwill and Wallace are their own free agents. Wouldn't this work for Nets?

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There are still cap holds to deal with. Is it possible or 'im' for Nyets to bridge Dwightmare to Brooklyn? I imagine so, but what can they really offer back to Oh!rlando for the Magic to say, 'yes'?

Oh, re: Lopez. Step one would be to trade Morris to Suns for one Lopez, then get both sets of twins reunited...:grin:

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

This, and the main problem with your idea. Look, the Nets already have a pg that people are saying is one of the best in the league. If Lopez was really that great then they shouldn't have picked in the lottery, esp. since they also had Gerald Wallace AND they were playing in the East during a time other teams like the Bobcats were tanking.

I'm also not a fan of Howard, the dude's really good but it seems like he wants say in both the organization moves and the player lineup during games, which is what he did during his stay in Orlando (cried out for overpriced vet help+demanded that SVG give his buddy Nelson PT). When a player oversteps his bounderies and starts thinking he's better than the coach and GM then you know he'll never lead his team anywhere. Howard's not even a veteran like KG or Camby, he's like 26 years old.