1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Stars Lined Up or Are We In For Another Heart Ache?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Will Dwight Howard be a Houston Rocket when the 2013 / 2014 season starts?

1. Yes

67.2%
  2. No

32.8%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Simple Question: Do you believe Dwight Howard will be a Houston Rocket when the 2013 / 2014 season starts?

It's only a month away from Daryl Morey getting his opertunity to sell D12 on the Houston Rockets. James Harden and Chandler Parsons have already been recruiting him. He have all read or heard all the reports up to this point.

So where do you stand? Yes or No? Will Dwight Howard be a Houston Rocket when the 2013 / 2014 season starts?

The stars had to line-up in a most improbable way just to get to this point. If David Stern had not vetoed the Pau Gasol to Houston trade for basketball reasons, this would probably not be a possability. If Dary Morey had successfully traded for Dwight Howard last summer with what most people thought was the best package for Orlando, then Houston would be praying to keep D12 but there would be no James Harden and no 2nd superstar.

But the stars appear to have lined up. Because DM was unable to land any other superstar except James Harden, the Rockets have a great chance to have a contender for the next decade. Maybe even the best team in the league.

So what do you think? Is this all leading up to the biggest let down or will we get D12? I personally think when the season starts for 2013 / 2014 that D12 will be a Houston Rocket.

2. 45souf

45souf Member

All i can be certain of, is that the current Rocket team that played this year will not be back together.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'll believe it when I see it - when he's there at Toyota Center being introduced. :p
    (Or maybe I'll settle on Wojnarowski reporting it.)

#3 J.R., Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  4. ThaShark316_28

I don't really see it as 'heartache' if we don't. It's not like we don't already have a star. That's why I wouldn't be angry/disappointed/pissed if we don't get Howard/others.

5. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I would love to have the confidence to say yes, but it's dwight. He can change his mind at any moment. Also, we haven't heard anything from him yet on this subject.

6. crash5179

Why do you think that? Some certainly will be sacrificed for cap space (Garcia, Brooks and Delfino) but the core (Lin, Harden, CP25, Asik, Greg Smith, Beverly etc) will almost certainly be back.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL thats true for all teams..

8. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Call me a believer: Hard-on with the strip clubs, Chandsome with the commercials, Linsane with the Asian market, 'Sheek with the backups, Dream with the tutoring. This is the place to be!

:cool:

1 person likes this.
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I honestly tend to doubt it but I sure hope so.

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I think the acquisition of James Harden makes all the difference from the last 3 years. He is a true star and in some nights a downright superstar.

Dwight is likely coming. If not, Morey is certain to improve the roster for a 50+ win, not an easy feat in the tough west.

11. Mariachi ROCKET

We get D12, and Patrick Beverly has to give up wearing #12. Cool Breezing!

12. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

I somewhat agree. Heartache is Lebron leaving Cleveland, Shaquille leaving Disney World, Magic retiring.

Signing him is winning the #1 pick lucky. If he doesn't play up to our expectations we move him for great value, and if he does play well we are a legit championship contender.

This is a win-win.

#12 Scarface, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  13. crash5179

Has there ever been a time when it seemed like the stars lined up so perfectly for the Rockets to acquire an established superstar? I'm not sure.

Only two other incedents come to mind. Scottie Pippen and Tracy McGrady.

I never considered Pippen a superstar but it did seem like in all probablity that he would be as Rocket from very early in the off-season. Tracy McGrady voiced his desire to play with Yao Ming but CD had to convince the Magic that Francis, Mobley and Cato was the best deal they could get. Many people still think Orlando left better deals on the table, in perticular a deal with Phoenix.

This year all the Rockets have to do is convince D12 that Houston is a better place for him than LAL. Houston clearly has the better roster to win with and one that would provide D12 an instant contender. Harden and Parsons has been with D12 a lot this summer. D12 is rumored to be leaning towards Houston.

Hope is at an all time high. It almost all seems to good to be true. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

No need to sell. Howard already knows the deal. A stupid red rowdie truck caravan is not necessary. Nor some stupid Ipad showing the best of the city. Morey was young and naive when he went after Bosh. He looked stupid in the process and embarassed us. He is smarter now. He understands most players are fully capable of detrmining whats best for their careers and when they are not sure they ask their people.

Howard knows what we have to offer. A good team just one piece away. He could be that piece. No state Tax. Better cost of living. Decent night life. A history of great centers. A cheap skate owner. Oh wait let me leave that last part out.

The bottom line is Howard has pretty much decided for or against Houston already. Nothing Morey can say will change that. I think it's as close t a done deal and he is coming. But if it's not than he probably decided the glitz of LA was too much for him to pass and Morey isn't changing his mind.

15. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

eh..houston sports taught me to be a pessimist. He ain't coming.

16. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I've been saying no until I heard Chandler Parsons has been charming Dwight. No one can resist Parsons charm.

17. MONON

MONON Member

The future is bright, because the stars are lined up. We don't know for whom though. I think it's for Howard. If not then we have the talented youngsters to make the playoffs past the 1st round & LAL will be a 7 or 8 seed at best. We would then go after another top tier player say love, LMA etc.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I will have no heart ache. If Dwight comes then it will be exciting because our team will different from last years team and all eyes will be on the Rockets. But I really won't be disappointed if he doesn't come to Houston. Dwight isn't on the same level as an Hakeem, or Moses, or even a David Robinson, or Patrick Ewing. Dwight is coming off of injuries and he is a horrible free throw shooter that may limit the way we can use him in crunch time.

If he comes to Houston we will all hope he's healthy and cheer him on. If he decides not to come to Houston we are still in a great position to add some other star player. After all the ridiculous drama surrounding Dwight last summer, I'm not sitting on the edge of my chair waiting to see what this guy decides.

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

You would think the former, but given historical evidence, it's the latter. It's not a heart ache as much as it is us not getting that 2nd player this year. Chris paul is not walking through that door, I don't even want him too, and the rest of free agents are not going to get us far enough to get excited. In free agency that is, so with Morey you never know ;)

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i'd like to think so, but i voted no.

dwight howard's drama over the last few seasons doesn't make me hopeful at ALL.