1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets taking a page out of the Celtics?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mattlivin05, May 25, 2010.

1. mattlivin05

mattlivin05 Member

OK my first thread feel free to let me know what you think

What if the rockets are trying are to do what Boston did a few years back.
    Having one all-star on there team at the time (Pierce). They went out and tried to get garnett, but it wasen't until they went out and got ray allen before he agreed.

I think the rockets are going to try the same route. They are making bosh there number 1 priorty 1. So we have more size and scoring power
    2. To possibly be front runners to get lebron

It worked for boston to land garnett after ray allen came on board.

This could work too

If we are able to sign bosh with in the first three days of free agency we could then focuse our attention on lebron.

Just explain to lebron that we had to build the team perfectly for him. All he has to do lead the team.
    It will take him at least a week meeting with all the other teams to make his choice. That might just be enough time to get bosh

I figured this past season was all about building up our trade assets
    1. Trevor ariza (good defender at a decent price) (more valuable than what ron artest is now, same stats but with youth and upside)
    2. Jordin hill
    3. Chase buddinger (hope we can keep him though)
    4. Jarred jefferies
    5. David anderson
    6. Kevin martin
    7. Plus I heard we are trying to trade up and just straight up buy a higher draft pick in this years draft
    8. The knicks 2 future 1 round draft picks

Not to mention
    1. Les is allowing the team to go past the luxury tax ( and why not if your winning the next six years and banking it the entire way)
    2. Yao might opt out and take a smaller first year contract with us so he can get a long term contract and help out the team too
    3. We might get luis back on the cheap because of his restictions (remember landry contacrt)

This is how I pictured it

We trade
    Jefferies, anderson, hill, taylor, our first rounder, and one of the knicks future first rounders, and cash

We get
    Bosh

Then

We trade
    kevin martin, ariza or battier(hopefully ariza but I think lebron would want him over battier), buddinger(hope we keep), next years first rounder and the other knick 1rst rounder, plus cash

We get
    Lebron

We would exceed the lux tax but both bosh and lebron would get the most money here than any other contract. (A 6 yr max deal with no state income tax and global endorsements from china)

Then use the lle on brad miller
    Sign lowry and scola
    Get a g/f with mid level (if bud leaves)
    Fill the rest of the pieces with a couple of purchased 2nd rounders chosen my morey

Line up

Yao/ miller/ hayes
    Bosh/ scola
    Ariza or battier/ bud or mle or 2rnder
    Lebron, 2nd rounder or mle
    Brooks/ lowry

Notice I have us keeping brooks ( just like boston kept rondo)
    But all this is only if lebron and bosh's teams agree to sign and trade them. But if they do that makes us near the top their lists I believe. I would worry about mark cuban though. dirk opting out for smaller first year contract like yao maybe?

anyways please discuss

By the way I know this must sound like a pipe dream but you got to think that morey is at least going to attempt to get lebron. This might be what he is having in mind. I know, I know, but a guy can dream can't he

2 people like this.
  2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Step away from the crack pipe Stevie...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. conquistador#11

You might want to start lowry in that line up, so brooks can still average 18 pts off the bench.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Is it 420 again already?
    [​IMG]

6. izeroi

izeroi Member

Good god that's the most ridiculous thing I've read today

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

tldr, however I can say Knicks are trying the same thing.

1 person likes this.
  8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Didn't read the thread, but will respond to the title by saying this:

I recall Morey was itw'd before the 2008 Finals and he said:"This is a good opportunity to see if we can buy a chip"

9. stab

stab Member

The more I read, the closer my jaw got to the floor....

10. httx713

httx713 Member

Hey Man I support your ideas and your way of thinking 100%. I know most of these guys here are making fun of you but it doesn't hurt to want what's best for your team even if it sounds a little hard to achieve.. If it was to work out the way you just posted it You should be given the handle of GENIUS like they all call Daryl Morey here Houston.. I hope you are right..

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

This has to be the craziest idea I've ever heard

12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

...... so you want Morey to do sign-and-trade for two max contracts?
    If both trades go through
    This is will our roster

C - Yao
    PF - Bosh
    SF - LeBron

Unless you expect the rest of the free agents will sign here for minimum contract. We got nobody else to play for us. You think Ray Allen or Mike Miller for MLE?

13. dartherus

dartherus Member

I don't understand why Brooks is not considered as a trade asset....
    From time to time some people needs to be remembered that Brooks, despite his fancy stats:

- Severely lacks Basketball IQ....
    - High basketball IQ and team oriented players are needed in winning team, low_BBIQ_with_fancy_stats players are better suited for crapy teams....
    - Is at his peak trade value, after getting MIP award, very unlekly to get another official NBA award next year.....

Brooks + fillers or sweeteners could bring interesting players in return...why not considered Brooks for trades then? could somebody explain?

14. valorita

valorita Member

props for at least trying to be creative.

Basically, I think it comes down to what the players want.
    If Lebron and Bosh decide they want to play together, then they can go to
    pretty much any team they want via S&T or just plain signing outright.
    So why would they choose Houston instead of say Bulls or Spurs?

As Houston fans, we feel like the combo of our management, coaching staff, fan base and owners are all top notch.
    If I were to make a pitch for a S&T, I would remind the free-agents that they can go wherever they want and not just the teams with cap space. Furthermore, I would emphasize that HOU is the best in the league in the collective sum of those things mentioned above.

15. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Obviously, the specifics are misguided, but I have sometimes wondered if morey is following the celtics pattern as well. Just like the celtics, it seems as though we are stockpiling young talent and picks. We traded in one of our young guys already for Martin, and it looks like we are trying to do the same thing again this summer. Morey seems confident In his ability to acquire role players and young good players cheaply. Now we just have to wait and see if we can cash some of our guys in for another star.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You know, I'm still caught up with how you became a member before you EVER posted anything! This is you first post, and its a thread? :eek:

17. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

THIS IS CRAZIER THAN ... THAN ....

[​IMG]

but it just mite work.

18. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Why stop there? We know Morey is smart, so he can manage to save some of the assets in the Bosh and Lebron trades and then use those contracts to sign and trade Luis Scola + Battier + fillers for Wade. :)

19. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Damn dudes, you guys are treating him like a kid on his first day of high school. Harsh.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, bro. While we're at it, we should pick up CP3 and Wade, too.

Paul
    Wade
    James
    Bosh
    Yao

Awesome!!!