1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the deaths of Americans more important than those of another country?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by arno_ed, Sep 24, 2010.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I have thought long about posting this or not. I think I will be flamed for it, but I do have to get this of my chest, and learn about the opinion of people on this board. I mentioned America in the title since this is an American forum, but it goes for all countries.

At 9-11 about 3000 people died. Which is terrible, the people responsible for those deaths are seen as evil people. However in the (unjust) war in Iraq civilian deaths have been in the hundred of thousands (depending on which number you use). But the outcry in the USA has been much less over the deaths in this war. The people responsible for these deaths are not even prosecuted.

Why do people care about country? They are almost random lines over the globe, is a person fundamentally different when he lives in another country. Two persons can be from different countries and life only 10 metres apart.

1: So my first question is: Is the life of a countryman more important to you than the life of a person from another country (so for Americans do the lives lost at 9-11 matter more than the deaths in Iraq)?

The outcries of anger over the deaths of Muslim people have been more vocal in Muslim countries than it has been in Christian countries, and the other way around as well.

2: So my second question is: Is the life of a person of the same religion more important to you than the life of someone of another religion?

One of the biggest problems I see with humans in general is that they want to be part of a group. The easiest way to distinguish who is part of the group is stating who is not part of the group. You see that in sports, school vendetta’s, religion and countries.

3: So my third question is: Is the life of a Rockets fan more important to you than the life of a fan of another basketball team?

4: So this all leads to my final question: Is the life a any person more important to you than the life of another person?

Just curious about all your opinions.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Jazz fans have no souls, so yes
    I would say a serious criminal's life is worth less (murderer, rapist)

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Personal hierarchy of impact of deaths. I'm not religious, nor am I racist enough where their life and death impacts me.

1. Me
    1A. Immediate family members
    3. Close friends/relatives

4. Casual friends/relatives

5. People I know only somewhat

6. People in the city I live in.
    7. Americans
    8. Everyone else

4. lpbman

lpbman Member

No man is so strong that he can't be murdered by a group of others, or so smart he can't be poisoned or stabbed in the back. The creation of society has it's roots here, so it is no suprise that we are value our own over outsiders. There is an enlightned view somewhere out there that we are are all part of the same group, homosapien, but you will find very few who see the world this way.

1 person likes this.
  5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Boxing match:
    - Do you root for the best boxing style, or root for the person that resembles you most?

1 person likes this.
  6. arno_ed

Thanks that is interesting. For me it would be:

1: Wife/Me (don't have any kids)

2: Parents/Brothers/Closest friends

3: Friends

4 People I know and like/ Family
    5 Everybody

I really do not care for country etc, that is purely geographical. So there is no reason why a person living close to me should be more important to me than someone living 1000 of kilometres away

I know and that is what Disappoints me. I know it is logical (I'm a biologist, and strength in groups is a common theme there), but If humans are so much better than animals why can't we change this. The problem is that groups usually form by excluding others (deciding who are the enemy)

I have no problem with feeling part of a group, but the xenophobia for everything not part of that group is what upsets me. Why do people feel the need to focus on what makes us different and why can't they focus on what makes us the same (which is a lot more).

I think the only way people will see that humans in general are the same is for alien's to come here and start a war.

Thanks rhino17 for mentioning Jazz fans in the first post (I was wondering how long it would take)

7. arno_ed

I do not like boxing, but If I did I would root for the person with the best style, I do not care if it resembles me.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

For me it's more the indirect impact on my own well-being more than anything else. For example, people in Houston getting murdered means more to me because it effects how I feel about going out at night, more tax dollars going to the police department, that sort of thing. Or that US soldiers dying matters more to me than other soldiers because it affects foreign policies, nationalistic feelings among the masses, etc.

So in terms of "do I shed more tears for American blood than others", the answer is no. But there is something to be said about proximity/nationality having more of an impact on each of our lives, regardless how much we care for these people in general.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'll be honest here. I used to value the lives of people of my countries and religion more than others. I even used to care about poverty among Muslims more than anyone else.

I completely agree with what you're saying. The lines are artificial. Ultimately, the only people I value more are the people whose value I know. So basically there's a stranger and there's my brother - I would probably place more value on my brother because I know him more. I wouldn't disagree with the stranger's brother if he placed more value on HIS brother. It's just a matter of who I know - that's what makes it more valuable to ME, but not necessarily more valuable to the rest of the world.

I've often wondered why there isn't more outcry when people in the Africa are killed thousands at a time. It happens very often, but we don't do much about it.

Would you rather save 3,001 people in Rwanda or save 3,000 people in your own country?

Although there's a tendency to go after the people of my country, I think that's a tendency that I have to learn to ignore. At the same time, it would be difficult to ignore such a thing if I actually knew one person in that group of 3,000.

But since we're talking about deaths (past), then I would mourn the 3,001 more than the 3,000 (assuming all civilians), while mourning the specific people I knew separately.

To me, your nationality is nothing more than a legal necessity. You didn't choose to be born in a specific place and you didn't choose your parents. You didn't have an identical set of options as everyone else. You are who you are because of the things you choose and control. Patriotism is good, but it shouldn't be unconditional. You should be proud of your country if your country is doing things which deserve your praise - just like how your country will jail you if you do something wrong. It's a give and take - nothing is unconditional.

I think it's hilarious that the drawing of a border one or two centuries ago may immediately define part of your personality today and creates a difference between you and someone born 10 km away.

With that said, the surprise element of 9/11 played a huge role in its significance. Many people needed closure immediately and needed to blame a clearly defined enemy to achieve that closure. I hope that as time goes on, victims of terrorism worldwide are treated with the same respect and dignity as those who were lost on 9/11.

Eliminating our focus on differences is very important. Do you think the 9/11 pilots would be as willing to go through with it if they felt that they were attacking people who were similar to them? What role do you think 'differentiation' played in their heads? What if they though they were attacking like-minded people instead of very clearly distinguished enemies?

It's not that difficult. If an alien were to examine you and Osama Bin Laden, it/he/she would probably determine that you two are the same. So imagine how similar you are to everyone else. Imagine how tiny and exaggerated the difference between Canadians and Americans, Pakistanis and Indians, Palestinians and Israelis, Algerians and Egyptians, and so on and so forth. But these people are constantly jostling for differentiation. Bleh.

To me, everyone is human, and everyone is of equal value, except that I owe some humans more than others hence increasing their relative value to me.

Ok I'm done blabbing.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

I would easily put my parents and immediate family's life above mine. So mine would look like this:

1. Immediate family
    2. Me
    3. Friends
    4. Other family

5. Acquaintances, like the old man that says hi to me in the mornings
    6. Country
    7. Others

We've evolved that way to keep our genetics strong. You hear all those stories about onlookers watching someone get beat up by a group of thugs and everyone's surprised no one helps. Frankly, I'm surprised if someone does. Conversely, if the guy getting beat up is anywhere above no. 4, most people would risk interfering. It's just genetics.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's a good question - but it's human nature: The closer it hits to home, the more one cares, because the degree of identification and possible personal impact increases.

I cannot find the cartoon, I saw it offline many years ago, so I can only describe it with words.

Someone reading the newspaper:

50,000 people killed in Africa (yawns)

500 people killed in neighboring country (yawns)

Someone got killed in my street (FREAKS OUT)

12. Steve_Francis_rules

No.

No.

As rhino17 pointed out, Jazz fans (and Lakers fans for me) are worth less than Rockets fans.

I don't think the lives of people close to me are more important (generally) than the lives of any other people, but they are more important to me.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

What Steve_Francis_Rules said.

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Similar to what ATW posted, most other people are outside of our monkeysphere, and become faceless numbers. In other words: the closer it hits to home, the closer it hits to you.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes, the lives of Americans are more important to me personally. They may not be more important in the grand scheme of things, but to me they are. Why?

Because we share more in common than I share with someone in another country by default. We pay taxes to the same government, we are impacted by the same laws, we (in theory) pull for the same common good, we work amongst each other, etc. As for the 9/11 reference, those Americans could easily have been me, my wife, my mother, my best friend etc. The target wasn't human beings, it was American lives. When an African rebel butchers a village he is a monster, but nothing about me is involved in that. When a mass murdered kills a bunch of people in America he is a monster and I could easily have been one of his victims.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Sorry, but borders are not almost random lines over the globe. I don't pay attention to violence outside my immediate lodging and work areas and potential areas. The death of a few Canadians is not going to bother me, but the death of a neighbor will me concerned.

On the issue of importance and not concern, yes the death of an American is more important than the death of an Iraqi.

1 person likes this.
  17. justtxyank

I also question how many Americans in here who say they aren't more important are being honest. I don't know a single American personally that wasn't stressed when 9/11 happened. If you care as much about the entire world's population as you do Americans, you should be living in constant sadness as lives like that are lost around the world consistently.

It doesn't make you a bad person to have more of an attachment to Americans than Nigerians or Germans or Colombians.

18. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

This is actually kind of thought provoking. If I know the boxers (interviews and stuff) I'll root for the one who's personality I like best.

But if its a random fight with guys I don't know anything about, I'll root for an American fighter over a foreign born....A Texan over a fighter from another state. Underdog over a favorite. But all those other things being equal I would root for a white guy over a African-American or Hispanic boxer.

I don't normally think of myself of being race conscious so this was a little bit of an eye opener.

19. justtxyank

I'm with you on all of them except the last part about rooting for white over others. When it comes to fighters, if I know nothing about them and nationality and such is equal, I will base my decision on 1) Rooting against the one the other people at the fight are rooting for and if that fails 2) the one who is the most aggressive.

20. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Really? I'd say it's simple human nature to go with what looks familiar. It's like when people get upset over Europeans making Jesus white way back when. If a given entity (the church, in this case) needs an image for the people to rally around, the image needs to look familiar to those people, which makes perfect sense.

In other words, I think we are ALL race-conscious. We might like to pretend that we're not, but that's just not reality. It takes a higher level of thinking and consciousness to admit, accept, and take steps to make sure one isn't consciously or subconsciously subscribing to negative imagery or stereotyping.