1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Dallas Mavericks a one-and-done team???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by aggie87, Jun 14, 2011.

1. aggie87

aggie87 Member

I am not surprised they won this title, I always thought on paper they were deeper than just about any team in the league, even in 2006. However, Kidd will be 39 next year, Terry will be 34, Dirk is about to be 33 in a few days, and Marion, Peja, and Haywood are all 30+

Im not sure if they can be considered a contender for next year based on the natural process of aging, just look at what a year of time has done to Boston, LA, and San Antonio

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

They also get Butler (their second best player) and Beaubois back.

Mavs CAN win again. They didn't need Butler to take them over the top this series, but with Butler back he adds another offensive threat that needs to be accounted for at all times.

Whether people like it or not, Mavs are the favorites next season. Although I reserve my final judgment until after the off-season, who knows what free agency and trades will bring?

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Nobodies arguing that they're set up for years. Butler replacing Stevenson and getting Nash takes them right back. There's moves to be made.

4. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

They just need to get rid of Peja, and trade Haywood $10M contract for a cheaper backup center.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They are probably one and done but should contend next season. I doubt very much they would be favorites.

6. Asian Sensation

Never underestimate the heart of a champion?

Gosh I hate the fact the Mavs are champions (Better than the Heat though) and I think they're one and done but you can't count them out.

7. MD_in_Training

It depends what moves other teams make in the offseason (probably offseason + half an actual season). If Miami can sign Dalembert, and get some better supporting players, they would be the favorite.

8. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

The Mavs' efficiency doesn't seem to hinge on youth (or lack of it).

9. MONON

MONON Member

Everything depends on on what happens with the new cba.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't think they can repeat.

Chicago and Miami will undoubtedly represent the East for the next 5-6 years in the Finals, and neither team has reached its potential.

The West, though fading, is still tough. San Antonio isn't just going to disappear overnight. LA will be back. Memphis, OKC, and Denver are all on the way up.

The rest of the West needs to hope and pray that Deron Williams, Chris Paul, and Dwight Howard all end up in the East once the dust settles.

If Dallas does repeat, it will be pretty amazing, because I can't see them having a run like they did this year again where they literally couldn't miss.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

yes there done it will be hard for them to reach the same level that got them there this year.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Speak for yourself.

The Mavs window of oppertunity is so slim that many in Dallas thought that this was the last year they could keep the core together due to age. Certainly getting Caron back will help (If he comes back fully recovered) but Dirk, Terry, Kidd, Butler, Peja etc are all on the wrong side of 30. The Mav's don't see JJ Berarra or Roddy B as someone that can run the offense. Roddy did not even see playing time in the play-offs so that tells you how much faith they have in him.

The Mavs were the oldest team in the play-offs. Kidd is the oldest starter to win a title since Kareem did it in the 80's. How many players are in the league at the ripe old age of 40? Guess what? Jason Kidd will be 40 next season prior to the start of the play-offs. Caron Butler will turn 33 next season coming off major knee surgery. Jason Terry will be 35 in a few months and Dirk turns 34 this month.

Mav's are going to try and extend this for a couple of more years and rightly so, but unless they have a serious infusion of young talent they could see a rapid decent.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The twopeat is the last thing the Rockets have over any Texas team. Unless the basketball gods demand even more retribution on Houston for whatever the hell we did, they shan't give Dallas another title.

14. confessions

confessions New Member

Are you from the future? All of your numbers are off by 1 year... :confused:

15. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

pretty much. They're like the 2004 Pistons. Im sure they'll make deep runs but they wont be beating LA, OKC, MEM in the playoffs again.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The biggest problem for Dallas is going to be free agency. Chandler, Butler, Barea, Stevenson... all these guys are up, and at the very least, you'll be looking at a more restrictive cap situation than the one in place now. Couple that with the inherent desire for some of these guys (particularly Barea) to get more minutes, and the Mavs will have a hard time maintaining the depth that allows them to keep the veterans fresh.

17. PeppermintCandy

I agree free agency will be key to the Mavericks' chances. If they can get all their guys back, they should be a lock to get back to the conference finals at least. My guess is that their team mentality is strong enough that minutes distribution won't be a problem.

The bigger question for me will be Nowitzki, specifically his desire for a second ring. IMO the Mavs won this championship because Nowitzki wanted it more than anyone else. There were so many games in their playoff run where Nowitzki just willed his team to a win down the stretch.

But now that he has been "redeemed", I'm wondering if that same focus and desire still be there for that second championship run. The Mavs will definitely need Nowitzki to live up to his superstar billing again to stand a chance.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Mavericks are an old team. When it goes, it goes fast. A Chandler injury and watch that badass defense go south quickly.

19. J-Man

J-Man Member

Yea they won't be beating younger teams like okc,hou,mem that many times any more. Maybe 1 or 2 more 50+ win season and MAYBE WCF but i seriously doubt them going deeeep.

20. sbyang

sbyang Member

One and done? They're a champion. One and done makes it seem easy to be a champion. Respect the accomplishment of all champions.