1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Rock Fans blinded by Mobley potential? Will it hurt the Team in the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jul 17, 2000.

1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

TheFreak, yes!!! We agree about something [​IMG]

Mobley is clearly our 2nd or 3rd best basketball player. He also is only beginning his 3rd year--with each previous year he played a different position in a different offense, and guards are usually slow to develop. Right now we only have 3 really solid younger players, Steve, SA and Mobley, and by all means this is the nucleus of our hopeful future team. Just because they cover many of the same positions doesn't mean they all are not invaluable.

If Freak and I agree on something, we are obviously correct.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sir -- come on, we used to agree all the time back in the day. [​IMG]

Keep in mind that part of Mobley's problem during his rookie year was that he passed too much. He's played opposite roles during his first year and a half in the league. The importance of a perimeter player that can get by his man at will and score, with the new rules that have been instituted, cannot be understated. He's still learning, and he will get much better. He's a major key to our offense, and losing him, I really feel could send us back to the drawing board as far as offensive philosophy. That's no small loss.

------------------
    A little bit better than I used to be

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I want to keep Mobley, but only if he will stay on the bench and not complain (kinda like Vinnie Johnson when Dumars was the starter).

Mobely can score, but I would take S.A. over him any day. Do we really know how good S.A.'s offensive game can be, since he has never been in a situation where he gets a lot of touches (like Mobley).

If Cuttion leaves then I'm saddend because our bench is weaker, and because we didn't draft anyone to replace him. However, I would get over it because the man who starts in front of him is a better overall player who also still has room to grow.

------------------

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

I like Mobley, but I don't think it's the end of the world if he leaves. I think he would be absolutely perfect for the Rockets if he were willing to come off the bench for years to come, but I don't think that's the case. At this point in his career (it may change, it may not), I think his game is best suited to being a sixth man. I don't want him in our starting line-up. If he can't handle the sixth man spot, it may cause us fewer headaches down the road for him to go ahead and leave now. It's not that I don't think he's a very important part of our team, but I do think other players will get the opportunity to produce a little more without Cat -- hopefully that will happen if he leaves. I've really got mixed feelings about Cat leaving. I can see it hurting us for awhile, and I can see it perhaps helping us in the long run. We'll see, if in fact he does leave.

------------------