1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Rock Fans blinded by Mobley potential? Will it hurt the Team in the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jul 17, 2000.

1. vince

vince Member

Look the Rocks will give Francis his money when he is due to collect. Anderson will get his money when it is due to him. Then now if Mobley takes less to play with the Rockets then Mobley will get his dues.

Now the Rockets have to pay out money to all those free agents not playing for them that were released Maloney, and a ton of other guys no playing.

Well then the Rocks have to pay Cato.

ENOUGH OF THIS!!!!

Can Shandon prosper with Cuttino Mobley demanding the Ball on every posession. Not likely. Anderson is amongst the most talented players in the league, but he needs time to prosper. Andersons potential is 4 stories higher than mobley's, but Anderson is not selfish.

Uhm...... The other thing is, do you want to invest 9 million dollars in Mobley, another 9 million dollars for Anderson. And they both play the same position.

Geez,,,,,Isn't it better to spread out the money into different positions?

Look you have Francis, Anderson, Cato, all showing star potential. Then you have the SF and PF that are not elite players on this team; well isn't it better to take Mobley's money and apply it to a top SF or PF!!!!!!

Mobley is great, but none of you guys really tought it until this season. Remember last season when everyone was very worried that the Rockets had traded their SG for Francis!! Then up came the savior in Anderson!!!!

And don't lie, Mobley was a huge surprise to all of you!!!!!! Mobley at SG is 100% better than Mobley at PF.

------------------

2. vince

vince Member

This correction is stupid, but I know there is going to be a smart A$$ bringing up the PF misstype.

Well it's PG not PF....

------------------

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Well then

CUT TINO

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cat's potential on offense greatly exceeds that of SA.

He creates for other teammates. He did a good job two years ago as the fifth option. He went form 5th option to the 1st or 2nd option this past season.

Growing pains is all it is. SA can still get plenty of minutes at the backup 3.

By the time Cat is a FA agian the rocks will be way over the cap so his next contract doesn't matter. Same for SA. Same for Cato. Same for Francis.

Next year is the only year that salary will matter for the next 5 years.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I just want to say that even though I bet Vince here will get jumped on, I love this thread. THANK YOU for asking a genuine and well-thought-out question regarding the Rockets.

Maybe I'm just spending too much time in the BBS Hangout.

Or maybe I'm just grateful someone else is curious about this topic too.

Mobley fans: Why are we so worried about Cuttino's future in Houston? Yes, I've read his stats and I remember dearly some of his moments in Houston (vis a vis games against the Lakers).

But why do we necessarily have to commit to Mobley long-term? To me, he's a streaky and relatively inefficient shooting guard. He has good upside value, but I don't see him as the kind of player you plug in at a spot and say, "Done. We're set here until he retires."

Bash away.

------------------
    You bring the bullets, I'll bring the wine.

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I mostly hate to see Mobley leave because I just know that whenever he comes to town with his new team, he's gonna spank Anderson like a little punk ass b****.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

7. payaso

payaso Member

Kagy said a mouthful...

Cat's great... with the ball in his hands, top of the key right. pay the ball your last regards for that particular offensive set b/c that's the last you'll see of it if you're one of his teammates.
    I'd damn near sign-and-trade with Toronto for Oak to give this team what it needs in the short term... a goon who can teach young, stoutly built PFs how to enforce down low.
    These guys will run fine w/o Mobes.

------------------
    It takes a lot of brains to enjoy satire, humor and wit- but none to be offended by them.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Hey Pole, maybe Mobley would go at Anderson as much as he could, but spank him? I think Anderson would probably outscore Mobley... simply run post up plays for Anderson and the slenderly built Mobley wouldn't have a hope of stopping him!! Then back the other end, Mobley jacks it up and hits 10-24 plus some FT's and scores 30 points.... sure he might've "lit it up" but I'd wager the rockets would've won the game...

------------------

9. haven

haven Member

Exactly. Mobley is the better scorer, but ANDERSON is the better basketball player. Mobley is sort of, shall we say, one dimensional. Anderson combines a decent offensive game with terrific defensive skills, and a team attitude. One occasionally gets the feeling that Mobley is Allen I. without the same talent.

Head to head, I bet Mobley would outscore Anderson... but he'd be less valuable. There is such a concept as "team defense," not to mention "rebounding." Oh, and don't forget FG%.

------------------

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Given a choice I would take SA over Mobley any day !

DaDakota

------------------

11. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Thank you for the 9 AM chuckle!!! LOL!

12. vince

vince Member

BrianKagy, your praise is greatly appreciated [​IMG]

I like cuttino a lot!!! He is a quality player and will be an added bonus to ANY team he plays for. He could play with any team and still contribute. That's tough to say because there are super star players out there that need a certain nitch in order to suceed; Cuttino is a camaleon.

But, Anderson is the guy Rudy eyed last year and he was to be the SG of the Future. Anderson is solid on Defense, but is semi lack luster on offense. However, he has shown glipses of greatness on both ends of the court!!!!!

After all is said and done, this Mobley situation would not make or break the Rockets season!!!

If Mobley stays I'd be ecstatic, but if he left, this Rocket team could cope.

Hey who know, maybe Drew steps it up next season without Mobley. Drew is a splendid shooter who needs more touches. Of couse he is not a 2 guard, but hey when you can shoot like that size doesn't matter. Well, not as much!!

So, I'll I'm saying is don't sweat it if the Rockets sign Mobley or not. He is a plus on any team, but I just don't want the Rockets to do dumb long term commitments. It's a huge gamble when the players don't pan out!! Just look at Maloney!!!

Mobley should be earning 4 to 5 million a year. If he gets a contract in the 7 to 9 million dollar range you've motgaged the future on a duplicate player. And if the Rockets comit they must deliver on their word as they did with Maloney, but unlike the way they comitted to Harrington!!!

------------------

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Those who think the loss of Mobley wouldn't absolutely kill the Rockets next year must not have watched any games last year. He is our 2nd option. Period. Just looking at stats (shooting percentage) won't show you his value. The guy was double-teamed last year more than Francis was. Our entire offensive set was practically built around Cuttino. Also keep in mind this was his first full season in the NBA, as well as his first time at all playing shooting guard. He is going to be the reason somebody like Matt Bullard has a job (much like Hakeem was the reason Kenny Smith, Robert Horry, etc. could start on champions). The defenses pay so much attention to him that it lets other guys make names for themselves. Without Mobley, Francis will be crippled. Who is going to break down a defense when Francis is getting swarmed? Cuttino is a major building block. Losing him will be at least as detrimental as losing Marbury was to the Wolves. Did I mention we needed to re-sign this kid?

------------------
    A little bit better than I used to be

14. haven

haven Member

TheFreak: yes, the offense revolved aroudn Cuttino when he played... but I don't think that's a good thing. The man was a blackhole on offense. I think the team would have been better off playing more coordinated offense, than giving it to Mobley an watching him shoot.

I'm not saying he didn't have talent... I'm saying that he contributed very little to any one else's game, and probably actually subtracted from opportunity for others.

------------------

15. stringthing

stringthing Member

I am wondering what we lose when Cat goes? Are we then forced to actually run offensive sets when the bench guys are in there? The horror! What good are 12-14 ppg if ya got to jack up 35 shots to get em? Maybe this is just the norm for the NBA. Why give Cat mad jack? What happens when it is time to reup SA? Do you pass on him and insert Cat into the starting lineup even though him and Franchise will both dominate the ball from the backcourt? And where do you get money to sign strong post players to help you compete with the likes of Shaq etc...Bye Bye Cat, it's been real.

------------------

16. Tha Play Maker

Mobley has gotten better over the past two seasons. He will get better as he gets older, with that his shot selections will as well.

Anderson is better all around, but we need Mobley to make our team better. Both are vital to the Rockets success.

Those of you who think this team is better without Mobley have some serious issues. It's not. And will only get better if Mobley stays.

We need him to prosper.

Potential or not, Mobley is a good player and he will mature as he plays more. He's going to make bone headed mistakes, but that's part of the learning process. This team is not anywhere near a title run, so all we have is time. Be patient, stay the course. [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Chris Webber fan club.

17. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Cuttino is a scorer that you can expect him to come in every night and score. Shandon Anderson doesnt score big all the time and is quiet sometimes doing other things. Cuttino is a better player than Shandon in my mind because he is just the CAT. Cuttino has probably one the quickest first steps in the nba. He will be a big loss if the rockets lose him and I mean big.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

18. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Remember Vinny "The Microwave" Johnson? That is the role that Cat should play for this team.

------------------

19. vince

vince Member

Let's get this straight, the Rocks can afford to lose Mobley.

However Anderson gets the opportunity to pick up his game; and his game is premier!!

Mobley is a blackhole, but when he continues to produce then that's all you can ask for.

What hurts the Rockets in keeping Mobley is the whole HARRINGTON SITUATION!!!!

I just don't know if a Francis and Mobley combination at a 1 and 2 punch can do much damage against the Rest of the league; can they compete against kidd and Hardaway, Dickerson and Bibby, and the rest of the top guard combinations [​IMG]

------------------

20. themugg

themugg Member

The Rocket's have to keep Mobley period!! No exceptions!!!

------------------
    TheMugg